AMHR National PMC Driving class...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamweaver

Reaction score
It has been so long since I posted here, I might have forgotten how! (Computer crashes are NOT nice!)

I hope all you wonderfully informative people out there can help me with some questions about the PMC Driving class at AMHR Nationals.

Last year,2004 AMHR Nationals, I lent my gelding, Rocket, out to a very sweet lady to drive in the PMC driving class. It was listed as..

PMC Adult Driving 38†and under.

Now, Rocket is a true Country pleasure horse, he competed in that class and then in his respective CP driving classes. No problems.

This year, the class is listed as…

PMC Adult Pleasure Driving, 38†and under.

I have a friend who entered his Country pleasure mare in the class. Show management has stated that he can not enter that class and then enter the mare in her additional CP driving classes. He will have to move her to the pleasure driving classes if he wants her to compete in additional driving classes. These is not a pleasure mare and she will not compete in those classes, so he must forfeit his PMC class. He is crushed to say the least. (note: his daughter drives the mare in the additional classes, the PMC is the only class for him to participate in.)

There is no PMC Country pleasure driving class offered, only Pleasure driving.

So, my first question, is this…Why did they limit the class to Pleasure only? The class last year was just “driving†and only four horses competed in that class.

For the record, I had a similar concern last year about the futurity driving classes. In Futurity, the driving classes are pleasure & roadster. I was under the impression that if you had a CP driving horse that you want to show in other CP classes, you would have to enter the roadster class. It was explained to me by many stewards, Dale Lutke and the show management that since only pleasure driving was offered, it was in effect just a “driving†class and did not have any bearing on the additional class placement of the horse. So, CP horses could compete in the futurity pleasure driving class and the open/ammy/youth CP classes. And in fact, it was done by several horses.

So, question number two….Doesn’t the PMC driving class fall under the same rules then at the futurity driving class?

Thanks for your help. I know for a fact the the show management has made mistakes in the past. After all, they are very busy and they work with breed show other than just the AMHR, it has to be very difficult to keep everything straight. They do a great job, but I a really hoping this time they are just off the mark a little and my friend will still be able to compete in his PMC class.

Dreamweaver said:
For the record, I had a similar concern last year about the futurity driving classes.  In Futurity, the driving classes are pleasure & roadster.  I was under the impression that if you had a CP driving horse that you want to show in other CP classes, you would have to enter the roadster class.  It was explained to me by many stewards, Dale Lutke and the show management that since only pleasure driving was offered, it was in effect just a “driving†class and did not have any bearing on the additional class placement of the horse.  So, CP horses could compete in the futurity pleasure driving class and the open/ammy/youth CP classes.  And in fact, it was done by several horses.

443394[/snapback]

I've wondered this about the Futurity driving classes myself. Why is it that only Pleasure and Roadster are offered? Most miniatures are Country Pleasure horses, not Pleasure.

I didn't realize that the Futurity Pleasure horses were able to cross-enter into CP, and really, it shouldn't be allowed, IMO, because the rules clearly state that there will be no cross-entering. I think that the Futurity classes AND the PMC classes need to be either labeled differently (just "driving") or both CP and Pleasure offered. JMO

[SIZE=14pt]Two years ago when I showed Hershee PMC driving I also showed him Country.... I think there was an error in semantics.l I believe it was supposed to be just PMC Driving. When it was written in the program perhaps the writer made the mistake and it has followed thru..... the pmc is not a RATED class or a qualifyer for a astake class. The people who were told that should write a letter to Mr Davenport and tell him..... He is a reasonable man. Anyone can see that a country pleasure horse is USUALLY safer to drive then single pleasure. That is my class also .... I just happen to drive a Pleasure horse in it.[/SIZE]

Lyn

That is my thought also, Lyn. Cp horses are usually quieter and calmer than Pleasure horses, and hence they might be safer for someone that has some limitations.

You are also right in it not being rated, I forgot about that. So I really don't see the problem with it.

It was Davenport's crew that my friend talked to...I wonder if I should call him myself???

Dana,

I had emailed Mr Davenport a few times because of another typo on the premium list regarding eligibility. They had it that the horse had to be registered AMHR at least 60 days prior to the entries closing....when I looked in the rule book it was 60 days prior to the show start date. He said it was indeed a typo. If the class was listed differently in previous years I would just bring that to his attention.

Sometimes once it's listed in the show schedule a certain way they can't change it but I'd give it a try! Here's his email address if you don't have it: [email protected]

[SIZE=14pt]Get with Leonard directly.... some of the people in his crew are just office staff that really dont know the ins and outs of the classes. Remind him that it isnt a qualifier. What does it say for the youth?[/SIZE]

Lyn

Thanks for the help guys, I will contact Leonard directly and see what he says...

Magic, I agree with you on the Futurity driving thing, I wish they might make some changes on that as well. Honestly, it is hard for a young horse to be a true "Pleasure" driving horse. At least they are all three year olds!

You know what I would like to maybe see...AMHA futurity offers halter, driving and hunter for they're three year old futurity horses. I always felt like if that was offered with AMHR, we might see some more three year olds stay in the futurity. It would be an less expensive and less complicated for some three year olds that need time to mature before becoming a driving horse...JMO....

Okay, this may be a stupid question. But Im kind of new to the world of driving. So whats the difference between a CP & a single pleasure driving horse? or even the classes?

Miss Fortune,

For a fast answer to your question, the difference in a Country Pleasure horse and a Pleasure horse is they way they travel. A pleasure horse should be more animated with more lift, while a CP horse should have more of a level knee without as much animation. Now that is a very simple answer. If you have a AMHA or an AMHR rule book, both will offer the "ideal" for the way a horse should travel.

For a really good answer to your question, we should start another post....LOL!

Latest posts

Back