AMHR National Late Entries

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was present at the National show in 2008 and can say that although I was disapointed at the time, it is over and done with, it can't be changed, and yes I was someone that it effected.

There is alot I disagree with at the National show, but that is for another time, another place! some of it has to do with the every horse has to be in the show program! It hits a nerve, since the horse only has to be listed in one class, then signed up for 20 and not listed in the show program. Another Day!

Belinda, are you saying the situation regarding what to do with the late entries is still unresolved?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can not hold folks accountable for what someone else has done in the past ..
Actually, in an organization like this you can. Precedents are set. While the change in board and the current board's stance is different than the prior, the prior decision OF THE ORGANIZATION as made by the board certainly can be used as legal precedent.Not arguing whether the entries should or shouldn't be included, just saying absolutely new board members can be held accountable for - or rather, actions can be influenced by - what happened in the past by completely different people.

Well, I had heard about the issues in 2008 and with new people on the BOD I am hopeful they will do what is right for the AMHR and it's members as a whole even if it means a loss of revenue this year. Sad all the way around but more so for the youth. I guess it comes down to being responsible and quite blaming AMHR for the screwup. As for the Post Office if I didn't have a timestamp I would have driven somewhere else to get that done and believe me I do have to drive a distance to do that it isn't just around the corner. As Davie said she got her's in and was very ill so it can be done.

Why put the blame on the post office? When the person should of got it hand stamp! Just how hard is that. Don't see how the BOD can vote on this anyways. And if that does happen well I do hope that there is a lot of protest out at nationals this year. And the ones that is putting the protest up would win anyways. As the BOD can not change a rule with out one summited before July 1st!

When I've taken something to the post office because it needed to be postmarked that day, I've never looked at the postmark. I've watched it get stamped and thrown in a bag, box or whatever. You can bet from now on I WILL look at the postmark and make sure it's the proper date. I do feel bad for the people with the bad postmark.

Just to clear a point in the last post

The BOD is responsible for managing and controlling the affairs of our organization. The idea of submitting rule changes by July 1 is something unrelated to their governing authority.

All committees and or members of them are set by the president and no committee has any binding authority for or about the organization. Their duty and function is solely to advise the BOD on matters under their preview. The is no requirement legal or otherwise that requires anyone not assigned to a committee by the president to be part of or participate in its work or process. That is totally up to the chair of each committee and even at that there is no requirement for the committee to accept or act on any vote (more like a straw poll ) taken from those members present but not otherwise assigned to that committee. Further just as a committee of assigned members can ignore or vote down any request or information brought to it by members the BOD can do the same with things brought to the by committee further and ultimately the BOD can make any changes to our rules and basically do whatever it deems in the best interest of our organization barring certain very specific items spelled out in the statues, articles, and bylaws

Again not want to debate or argue here just clearing the air

This story just gets bigger and bigger.

I did talk briefly to a director that said there is nothing the board can do as this is a rule in the rulebook and the board cannot go against that.

I do not ever want to see the board be able to vote against a rule in the rule book. That is really dangerous ground.

To change it going forward someone would have to propose a rule change and go thru proper channels.

I hate to be suspicious but I know when I mail something important I make the postal clerk stamp it right there while I watch. I do this all the time in the course of everyday business and always did it when I mailed show entries.

I am just taken aback that this many entries did not make it in on time especially from people that know better.

My heart does go out to the ones that don't get to show but ultimately it is not the organizations fault.
Exactly. Its a pretty simply written rule. And it doesn't say "except if people don't follow the rule...."

Sad that some people messed up. Especially those that had the responsibility to take care of other people's entries! But that is the fault of the person/people who messed up, not the fault of the rule that was in place for everybody.

Well here it is they Bod can't not over ride this! The rules are set in place! And if they do that is setting them up for legal stuff and if they do I do hope it will happen as people in the past has been refused by they way the rule written! I would not want to be in that place! But there again they will do what they want and as I said before hope they are ready for the protest if they allow these horses in!!!!!

It's a National Disaster.
Only for those who missed the deadline.

It happens for a variety of reasons - should all of them be excused depending on who you are and not the rules?

LaVern - I am sorry, but it was inappropriate of you to start a thread earlier naming names and saying they should be excused - when many people here would not know who was involved.

I am glad that the thread was deleted... that was NOT the way to handle this.

Late entries that missed the deadline = no entries.

Change the rule in the future to set up a penalty for entries that up to a week late or something - but IMO for now, this one stands.

I guess most must have felt the same as you, perhaps it was a little too personal and passionate. However I dissagree with it not being a disaster for us all, because we won't get to compete with some of the best. I had kind of high hopes for a horse this year. Even if he gets a ribbon this year, it won't be a win in my opinion. I feel that you are only the best if you get to compete with the best and beat them.

I know my horse can beat some, but could he beat-- the nicest best funniest kindest most honest guy's (barn name) horse?

There will be many outstanding horses at the Nationals this year. I don't think anyone should feel their potential wins have been devalued.

Tend to agree with Dr. Taylor.

Fine them with a late fee, let 'em show and clarify any rules/regs for future situations. IMO, that would be the best for all. Those who "did the right thing" by getting in on time would find "comfort" in there being a penalty, those who missed the deadline will feel it in their pocketbook (always reminds me not to make the same mistake), and it will be a better 2012 Nationals as everyone who chose to, may compete.

Tend to agree with Dr. Taylor.

Fine them with a late fee, let 'em show and clarify any rules/regs for future situations. IMO, that would be the best for all. Those who "did the right thing" by getting in on time would find "comfort" in there being a penalty, those who missed the deadline will feel it in their pocketbook (always reminds me not to make the same mistake), and it will be a better 2012 Nationals as everyone who chose to, may compete.
So what you are saying that the BOD should be fine along with the others that missed the deadline. Okay well that still opens a can of worms up! I know for a fact that people has been refused in the past me for one! So I should just let this roll off of the ducks back? No I should not an font worry I will put my money up for a protest anytime at nationals on this!!!!! Along with my paper work from the past as this rule has not changed!!!! Let them do what they want but I hope at the end of the day they can live with they are doing or going to do!!!!

Just my opinion, Allaboutminis. I was hoping for something thats feels like a "win/win" . Past mistakes or rigidity on the part of organizations or people, in my mind, is not a reason to not try and do a better job with decisions this time around. Again, just my humble opinion

I don't know what "they" will do, just glad I am not "them"....

I had kind of high hopes for a horse this year. Even if he gets a ribbon this year, it won't be a win in my opinion. I feel that you are only the best if you get to compete with the best and beat them.
I've never been to nationals, probably never will and I don't really have an opinion on the subject of late enteries. However I have to ask... will you descredit every win you have because a trainers trailer broke down enroute and they missed their classes? Do you suggest that people owning "high quality" horses be subsidised if they cannot afford to show so you can feel you really earned your ribbons? Will you tell the winners of ribbons at nationals this year that their ribbons might as well be fake because they didn't place against "the best"?

Jill is right, there will be MANY high quality horses at nationals this year, there will also be MANY who do not show for lots of reasons- financial, didn't qualify, owner didn't get time off, family commitments, etc. This is the case every year, every show. Something to consider before you write off every red blue or other ribbon you earn at Nationals this year...

Just my opinion, Allaboutminis. I was hoping for something thats feels like a "win/win" . Past mistakes or rigidity on the part of organizations or people, in my mind, is not a reason to not try and do a better job with decisions this time around. Again, just my humble opinion

I don't know what "they" will do, just glad I am not "them"....
There will be no win/win for anyone

The decision for this year is done, so no need to continue the "what they should do" scenarios...and I feel VERY badly for those who are involved personally. I sincerely do!

However, I still stand by my opinion that "rules are rules" and should be abided by until someone changes them thru the normal process.

As far as your placings not meaning as much since "so-and-so's" horse isn't there...what?? Seriously?? There are always nice horses at Nationals and ANY ribbon you receive you should be proud of no matter whose horse wasn't there to compete against!

Mary-I like your idea and do believe that would be close to a win/win. I understand the ruling though and am proud of the people that had to make this hard decision.

people has been refused in the past me for one! So I should just let this roll off of the ducks back? No I should not an font worry I will put my money up for a protest anytime at nationals on this
Well this explains a lot. No need to hold onto all of the anger. The ruling was as you had wished and you can keep that protest money safe and sound. Maybe donate that to some people in need, like the Chapmans
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back