AMHR National Late Entries

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the comments make me wonder - are they being allowed to show or not?

I guess most must have felt the same as you, perhaps it was a little too personal and passionate. However I dissagree with it not being a disaster for us all, because we won't get to compete with some of the best. I had kind of high hopes for a horse this year. Even if he gets a ribbon this year, it won't be a win in my opinion. I feel that you are only the best if you get to compete with the best and beat them.

I know my horse can beat some, but could he beat-- the nicest best funniest kindest most honest guy's (barn name) horse?
Just sad to think that way.
default_sad.png

I guess we should just toss out the rule book, if it is so difficult and inconvenient for people to follow it? Makes me wonder just how many other rules how many other people don't see any point in following? I also have no idea why someone saying the rules must stand mesns the person lacks compassion. Seriously? One has nothing to do with the other!

What is really wrong with our world today? After reading a few comments here I have to say the problem would seem to stem from the fact that a number of people figure rules need to be followed only when it is convenient. I imagine many see laws the same way--this law is inconvenient and so it doesn't apply.

I also agree with Dr. Taylor, and was touched by the letter about those involved. I am appalled by the majority of comments here -- but not surprised by those that made them. Deadlines are made for CONVENIENCE.... by those responsible for putting together catalogs and doing paperwork so everything looks "pretty". They were instituted for nothing else but convenience. Since the majority of paperwork was filed on time, doing 6 more envelops hurts NO ONE -- unless someone here is afraid to lose to one of the horses included in this mess. Lord knows rules are broken every day....but to err on the side of compassion is what true "justice" is about.

Compassion is not sentiment but is making justice and doing works of mercy. Compassion is not a moral commandment but a flow and overflow of the fullest human and divine energies. --Matthew Fox

Compassion is the ultimate and most meaningful embodiment of emotional maturity. It is through compassion that a person achieves the highest peak and deepest reach in his or her search... --Arthur Jersild

I won't comment here again, but I think it's sad to see the lack of compassion for those who have found themselves in this situation because of someone's error. I think many here need to look up the word "compassion" and stop worrying about "convenience rules". Amazing to see comments by those who are so vehement on this thread....making nicities on "another" thread. Certainly explains what is happening in our world today.

JMHO ~~Diane at Castle Rock.

Thank you Diane,, My thoughts all day.
default_sad.png
((( !!!!! !

Agreed Diane and MiniEquine and Amanda....who if you go back 15 pages started this whole thread. Don't you go back to school soon Amanda? LOL

Time to move on

It's been interesting

Last edited by a moderator:
I did, Mary, yes. Wish I wouldn't have! I did it at the request of the person who wrote the letter...had no idea that this is what was going to result. I'll know better for next time.

Thanks for the reminder, Mary (not!). I start class on Monday. I wish I could say I'm looking forward to it, but this is my 5th year and I'm really ready to just be done with it all. I told Jeff he needs to buy me my dream farm and let me stay home with the horses. I don't think he was too keen on that idea lol. So, grad school it is!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, unless I win the lottery tonight, which is totallly in my business plan. HA HA...... I will set you up for LIFE..... In the inimitable words of Mr Robert Zimmerman, "be good my friend"

Just my opinion, Allaboutminis. I was hoping for something thats feels like a "win/win" . Past mistakes or rigidity on the part of organizations or people, in my mind, is not a reason to not try and do a better job with decisions this time around. Again, just my humble opinion

I don't know what "they" will do, just glad I am not "them"....
Have to agree with this, and with Diane's/Castle Rock post. But since this is apparently a done deal now, I hope rules will be changed in the future to allow a little flexibility. No real reason not to allow late entries, with an appropriate penalty.

Jan

There will be many outstanding horses at the Nationals this year. I don't think anyone should feel their potential wins have been devalued.
Don't anyone have a heart attack but for once Jill and I agree.

To devalue anyone's placings at Nationals is a great injustice to those that got their horses qualified, got their entries in and show up to Nationals.

Why is the one that was at the post office on July 25th, they have two letters confirming this, why does this one bother people the most? Yes, there was a mistake made, but when you do something the same way year after year, why would you think this year there would be a problem. These entries were in the post office in time, so why shouldn't they be able to show. They complied and the post office has confirmed it was their fault. So why should they be punished for something that was out of their control? What if you made a payment by mail the same way month after month, then one month you put the envelop in the mail slot like you always do but it fell in a corner instead. It wasn't found until a day or so later but now your payment is late and your charged late fees. Whose fault would it be? Yours, you dropped it a the post office the way you always do, but say the post office gave you a letter explaining it was their fault, do you think the company should accept that and take off the late fees? Sometimes you just have to give someone the benefit of the doubt, and hope that on a day you needed it, they would too. I can understand the entries that were a week late, but the ones in the post office on time, I just don't think its fair.

Why is the one that was at the post office on July 25th, they have two letters confirming this, why does this one bother people the most? Yes, there was a mistake made, but when you do something the same way year after year, why would you think this year there would be a problem. These entries were in the post office in time, so why shouldn't they be able to show. They complied and the post office has confirmed it was their fault. So why should they be punished for something that was out of their control? What if you made a payment by mail the same way month after month, then one month you put the envelop in the mail slot like you always do but it fell in a corner instead. It wasn't found until a day or so later but now your payment is late and your charged late fees. Whose fault would it be? Yours, you dropped it a the post office the way you always do, but say the post office gave you a letter explaining it was their fault, do you think the company should accept that and take off the late fees? Sometimes you just have to give someone the benefit of the doubt, and hope that on a day you needed it, they would too. I can understand the entries that were a week late, but the ones in the post office on time, I just don't think its fair.
Although I do not know every detail, I do think some of the aggravation is based on the misconception that Postal workers were present when the entry was delivered. This Postal Service machine is set up to take mail 24/7 without workers present. The machine wasn't working that evening.

Dr. Taylor

This is a sad situation. I know some of the people involved and feel badly for them. I am not going to Nationals this year but I can understand why people on both sides of the issue feel strongly. There is a rule and apparently in the past people who were late have been denied entry so I can see until some new rules are set up to address this issue, and I am sure there will be a lot of discussion, that the rule has to be followed or it would certainly have the appearance of favoritism, something that is very bad for any organization. I think the entry date could be made later but I am not so sure about allowing post entries past a certain date as with a show this size the logistics of getting everything ready must be mind boggling. As far as feeling that the show is devalued without certain entries I cannot agree with that as there are many wonderful horses that will be shown there and who can say ahead of time which of them might have won as past winnings do not always mean you will win again. Anyone who does win can certainly feel proud of their accomplishments. I hope we can put this behind us and use it as a learning experience although it will not make the people involved feel any better it will certainly make entrants much more cautious in the future about getting entries in on time.

Hi Angie, from what I have heard the decision has not been made. And, apparently the rule has been changed several times over the last few years as to entry dates, I got out my 2005 rule book and it stated entries were due in 21 days before the start of Nationals, then I understand the date for the last several years has been Aug 1, then the date moved up to Jul 25th, why have all these changes been made, and when were they all voted on. I feel sorry for everyone involved but especially the youth that have worked so hard all summer, could not submit their own entries, so had nothing to do with this whole mess.

Hi Angie, from what I have heard the decision has not been made.
And this is where confusion comes in. I have been told by 3 directors now that it is and was decided when the entries were rejected and returned and that there would be no BOD vote.

I think its time for our President Pat Sanders to make a public statement and put an end to the rumors once and for all. He can send it out in an email blast on the ASPC/AMHR system.

Just whatiffing. What if there had been a big old postal disaster that shut down the system for a spell and say 95% of us were late. No Nationals?

Who can figure the logic

One could send a empty envelope postmarked before July 25 and as clearly stated on the entry form only have their entry delayed but send a complete package a day late and be excluded. If the rule says no entries after the closing date then how can you exclude your entry form from your package and be accepted yet turned down a day late. If we can waive or bend or adjust the rule by making exception for any reason to accept incomplete missing info or horses technically unqualified at the deadline date why bother turning away any. Considering that many feel the nationals is something of a obligation of the organization to its members to give back then wouldn't that same organization do any and everything to both make the show complete as well as to do whatever it could to ensure no one is left out for such a reason. When several clearly written rules were present the BOD did not hesitate in changing them AFTER the fact in order to accommodate a facility for a national show last year. Notwithstanding those retroactive changes caused hardship to many where in this case only principle is involved. We increased fees to offset cost on one show and turn away entries on another. Yes time can cause changes in additudes and concepts. We started this year cutting fees on hard shipping and membership fees in hopes to bring in new members and bring back previous members now we turn away income and alienate otherwise both long standing and long term supporting members. We spend money to hold facilities when our rules clearly state the selection process for considering a facility so where does a decission to gamble our money to hold dates come from.

We are promised transparency and resolutions are pass like minutes will be posted in a timely manner yet the minutes of that meetings minute fail to appear. I for one am all for following our rules completely and as written and as intended however a certain amount of consistency and fairness in their application to everyone and anyone treated equally

It will be interesting to see if the passions and frustration brought forth on this topic about how we do things will carry forward toward making or organization better or if those additudes were focused to the subject matter of this thread

Like I said and understand the BOD is tasked with doing what it feels best for this organization and if you or I agree or disagree we are bond to follow their decisions but it is comforting to be given insight into their motive and understanding by way of information rather then just outcome.

Either way life goes on and i often find myself wondering if I were a horse what would I think about all this

No need to elaborate about my resemblance to a specific portion of a horses anatomy lol

Hope to see everyone at nationals even if your not showing

Stop by for a chat and refreshment

Hey, Kay... I have to say I nearly posted the same thing on the "Poll" thread. You made some very astude points there, with which I agree. Who'da thunk it?
default_cheekkiss.gif

Latest posts

Back