AMHR membership required for paperwork?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minih

Reaction score
I don't think I have seen this discussed on here before....I was getting the AMHR paperwork together for a new buyer and noticed that on the work order it states (Current Adult Membership Required for Registry Work). They bought a colt from us for their daughter as a friend and pet, they are going to get him gelded this fall, and now they have to pay for a membership they will not be using? Personally I think they should be able to register their little horse without being a member, a lot of people buy these little horses as pets, what we are doing is keeping them from registering their pets and later it only hurts the horse I think. If they are to sell it, the paperwork is lost then it is a grade pet.
default_no.gif
I have sold my baby to a good home, but what about down the road. I know I have no control on who they "might" sell to later, but if they feel it is too expensive for a piece of paper now and do not follow thru.......

What are your thoughts on this? Maybe I am missing something in my thinking? I know it has to do with money, but ..........

Please do not turn this into an AMHR bashing session, I am seriously asking your thoughts and opinions on this subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is correct, a membership is required in order to do any paperwork with AMHR.

What I've done when I've sold a horse to someone that does not have a membership is ask them if they would like me to send in the transfer for them. I would not sell a horse without it being already registered, so all there is for the buyer to pay is the transfer. They give me the $15 and it gets sent in on my membership. That way it costs them only $15 rather than $76 (Canadian membership cost) plus $15. Big savings for them. Otherwise I know that there is a good chance the horse would never be transferred out of my name--if the new owner isn't interested in showing then they probably are not going to pay that membership fee just to put the papers into their name.

I live in NH and I am looking for a mini just to have fun with at the local shows, as my mare is in foal. I am finding most horses I inquire about have no registeration paper work what so ever. You hit the nail on the head! Thats absolutely the reason paperwork isn't following the horses. Awful isn't it??
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif

Joyce

What I've done when I've sold a horse to someone that does not have a membership is ask them if they would like me to send in the transfer for them. I would not sell a horse without it being already registered, so all there is for the buyer to pay is the transfer. They give me the $15 and it gets sent in on my membership. That way it costs them only $15 rather than $76 (Canadian membership cost) plus $15. Big savings for them. Otherwise I know that there is a good chance the horse would never be transferred out of my name--if the new owner isn't interested in showing then they probably are not going to pay that membership fee just to put the papers into their name.
Thanks! This sounds like the way to go! Had not thought about going about it that way...duh!

I'm also glad to know that it can be done that way. Never knew it.

Joyce

Yes, I agree with Teri. I always include the transfer of papers as part of a sale agreement. That way, I know it is done and done properly and saves the new owner a small fee if they are not members of AMHR.

And there is the liability issue about having a sold horse roaming around out there still registered in my name; what happens if this horse is still legally registered to me, the horse causes an accident. Who will get the sued. Don't want it be me.!!! The transfer fee is a small token to pay to avoid a peace of mind.

Wendy

Latest posts

Back