AMHR measurement

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoey3

Reaction score
Well have been afraid my AMHR may go over 38" and now I am realy thinking it. I finally got a measurement stick. I measured her several times, last hair on the mane. Kept getting the same height, 36.5" and she just turned a year. Now she does have some hoof, January was last trimming. Is their hope?

You never know. If you can ask the breeders what the growth pattern on their animals is, that would give you an indication.

I would not give up hope until she actually goes over. Also, something to consider is what type of stick you have and how you use it. I have a really cheap stick that I know will measure at least 1/2 inch taller than a steward will measure at a show. Also, check her hooves and how she is standing. If she isn't standing proper, that can easily make 1/2 inch difference. So, I would give her time and if you want to show her this year, have her measured at a show. If she goes over, well, then you are out of luck, but if she stays in, she will show well.

Last year when I sticked my stallion for his permanent papers, I brought him over to the house where we have some level concrete to take his measurement, he hadn't been on that part of the property before so was nervous (even more nervous that he usually is). His first measurement was around 36.75", after taking pictures and working with him, I measured him again and he was 35.75" (measured several times and came up with it several times). Just being relaxed affected his measurements.

I would just keep a stick on her if I were you and just watch her as she grows. Even taking the hoof off she may be too fussy for you to take and show and get measured in. Some horses stop growing at 2. I wouldn't worry too much about it yet.

Well the breeder said she wouldn't before I bought her as a foal, but they also said they would take her back and trade for another if she does. What make me worry more is that her sire is 37.75" and her dam is 37"(she was never shown, so not certain the measurement is accurate). I talked to one person and she raised some foals of simmilar breeding(arenosa bloodline). She said she noticed that the arenosas grow in hieght fast. She is 75% arenosa. Its interesting to see her with my ASPC of the same age, she is suppose to mature around 41" and she measured 37.5". Course she had a slow start as a foal, got her in October and she was thin and wormy. As for the AMHR, got her right at weaning around 4 months.

As for the meauring stick I used, its old and used, nothing fancy. Now I did measure on concrete and made sure she stood correctly.

Some lines tend to mature early and stop growing at a young age. I've had a few that have hit thier max hieght as two year olds. So, I wouldn't worry about her hieght yet. Besides, if your getting 36.5" by yourself and she has a bit of hoof, she might measure around 35.5" at a show.

Latest posts

Back