"AMHR Light Harness Pairs or More"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first paragraph of the new class states "Classes may be offered for pairs, tandems, unicorns, four-in-hand, six-in-hand, 4 abreast, etc." So the answer is yes, you may do the tandem.
Am I misunderstanding or was that a typo? Can't wait to see that class!
default_new_shocked.gif

In regards to the topic, I don't drive a team but we were there last year and have "talked it up" to everyone that will listen. We plan on being there with -hmmm, not bells, nor horns (LOL), but we'll be there and hopefully have several others from our club convinced to make the trip.

The facility was great. The people were GREAT! We had a terrific time.So my advice is be there!!!
I believe that the unicorn hitch is when there are two wheel horses and only one in the front. Hopefully someone will correct me if im wrong but pretty sure that is what that is LOL. As for the show I also thought it was a great time and am glad to hear other people did too there were lots of compliments on the show and I for one am hoping it will be even bigger this year! I cant wait for show season
default_new_shocked.gif
!

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that the unicorn hitch is when there are two wheel horses and only one in the front. Hopefully someone will correct me if im wrong but pretty sure that is what that is LOL. As for the show I also thought it was a great time and am glad to hear other people did too there were lots of compliments on the show and I for one am hoping it will be even bigger this year! I cant wait for show season
default_new_shocked.gif
!

Thanks. See that's what's so great about this forum. I'm always learning. Sounds interesting but I'm just lucky to get mine moving one at a time let alone in groups of two or more!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you regarding this class. I've been getting ready for a big group for Thanksgiving tomorrow. (20!) Time for a break.

Per a recent e-mail from Jeanne Bragagnini, who is an Area II BOD member, yes this class did pass and so I will put the proposal here so you can get ready to show in it. She will also be asking that it be added to the class list for Nationals. That may be difficult to accomplish, however. I will start out with the REASON that I made the proposal:

The reason for the attached proposal is dual. The current class in our rulebook, Section X, Part 18, Fine Harness Horses (Page 265) is confusing. After being DQ'd by judges in 2008, we really took a look at the way the class description was written. We have been driving in this class with meadowbrook type carts and buggies for many years, but apparently the reference to Section VII, Part 12, B is more likened to a viceroy and Park Pace type gaits. We now have the "Park Harness" class to include that type of driving. So where else can we go with our meadowbrooks and/or buggies?

As a multiple horse owner and drive who shows in Draft Harness, we would like another venue to show our teams/multiple hitch horses. Therefore we are proposing the following named class, and ask that it be considered extra-ordinary so that it will be a sanctioned class for the 2010 show season. Thank you.

Section X, Part 18A - Light Harness Pairs or More 38" and under.

A. Classes may be offered for pairs, tandems, unicorns, four-in-hand, six-in-hand, 4 abreast, etc.

B. Gait Requirements: Hitches are to enter the show ring at a trot going counter-clockwise (to the right). The horses should be judged at the flat footed walk, a four beat straight movement and easy going. The extended trot should be ground covering and reaching. Extreme animation is to be penalized. Horses should be asked to stand quietly in the line up and rein back at the discretion of the Judge.

C. Horses must be harnessed in light harness with breast color, full color, (Not Full Hames). Britching is permitted. Harness may have side check or over-check. Liverpool bits not allowed. Check bit and martingales are optional.

D. Vehicle should be two wheeled (meadow-brook type), or four wheeled wheeled buggy, buckboard type, or antique carriage. No viceroys, racing sulkys, or fine harness rigs allowed.

E. Exhitibors shall not be allowed to wear formal type wear (evening gowns or tuxedos). Casual or western type wear is appropriate, hats may or may not be worn, but all clothing should be appropriate to the type of vehicle that is being used.

F. Judging to be based 70% on way of going, 20% on equipment and harness, 10% on conformation.

You must ask your local show managers/committees to include this class for you as they will not know about it at the time they send in their show requests/sanctioning. Then you must get out there and support it! For more questions, you can e-mail me privately.

Good news Rita
default_biggrin.png
AMHR has already added the class to the official list of classes for 2010. (1524. AMHR Light Harness Driving, Paris or More, 38” & Under) So it defiantly is a go for the 2010 All American Miniature Hores Club Show in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, June 19th and 20th. Her is a link to the facilities that this class will be driven in. Iowa Equestrian Center

We would love to have a large turn out for this new class.

anyone have any pictures of this class from nationals this year?

what was the attire like?

what type of vehicles? horses?

Keely, as I recall it there were three entries. Two to antique-type vehicles and one wood-paneled Glinkowski wagonette very nicely turned out in ADS style with carriage harness. That entry placed last, which is a shame.

I didn't notice the time stamps on the rest of this thread until after I'd written the below but I think I'll let it stand as I would like to discuss it.

Hi Rita! Welcome to the forum and I'm very glad to see your participation on this thread. I am THRILLED to see this class added to the roster but have a couple of concerns I wonder if we could discuss based on the rules as posted here.

In the wider carriage driving world, "Light Harness", "Fine Harness" and "Draft Harness" are three very different styles of driving. Draft harness horses are referred to as a "hitch," use full collars with full hames, often have nickel decorations on their harnesses, may have three breeching straps or other variations of harness like chain trace ends, and are driven to hitch wagons and commercial vehicles. They are required to perform historical maneuvers such as fanning the horses and usually move in a deliberate, collected manner as these horses are meant to be pulling weight, not moving fast. This is the traditional harness for draft horses (Percherons, Clydesdales, Belgians, etc.) and draft ponies like Fjords. Fine harness turnouts are the ones you see breeds like the Saddlebreds, Morgans and Arabs displaying in the show ring. This is a patent leather harness with a check and absolutely no breeching, usually of rolled leather and sometimes with colored trim on the bridle and pulling a show cart or viceroy. The horses are usually very high-stepping and fancy and very much of the saddleseat or Park type. Hackneys and modern Shetlands would fall right into this category. Light harness, on the other hand, does not refer simply to anything that is not draft. It refers to that range of harnesses between draft and fine, which as you noted can include neck collars without full hames, breast collars, breeching, checks or no checks, and can be driven to a variety of vehicle types. Carriage harness, meaning the type generally driven at American Driving Society events, falls squarely into this category.

Where I get a little concerned is the way these rules are written, it's basically a draft hitch class driven in different harness. Light harness is a completely different style of driving as well, not just a turnout class, and I think it could only benefit the miniature horse associations (especially with our new partnership with the ADS!) if we brought this new division into line with the rest of the driving world. I would like to see this class driven much like a regular driving class with a walk, working trot, and extended trot both ways of the ring and a reinback in the line up. The rules below state that 70% of the judging is to be on the way of going but what I saw at Nationals was the antique carriages and "best turnout" winning...period. Someone in a modern carriage with comfortable, well-adjusted carriage harness did not stand a chance because this was more truly about showing off your fancy carriage than your team's driving training.

Of course the fancy turnouts are wonderful to look at and need a place to be shown! But I see potential here for many of the drivers we are losing to the ADS to be brought back into breed show competition if this division is done right and the way the rules are currently written, they will not be interested. I know I will show my tandem instead of driving them as a pair because that's the only way I can be fancy enough to place.

awoimini said:
Section X, Part 18A - Light Harness Pairs or More 38" and under.A. Classes may be offered for pairs, tandems, unicorns, four-in-hand, six-in-hand, 4 abreast, etc.

B. Gait Requirements: Hitches are to enter the show ring at a trot going counter-clockwise (to the right). The horses should be judged at the flat footed walk, a four beat straight movement and easy going. The extended trot should be ground covering and reaching. Extreme animation is to be penalized. Horses should be asked to stand quietly in the line up and rein back at the discretion of the Judge.

C. Horses must be harnessed in light harness with breast collar, full collar, (Not Full Hames). Britching is permitted. Harness may have side check or over-check. Liverpool bits not allowed. Check bit and martingales are optional.

D. Vehicle should be two wheeled (meadow-brook type), or four wheeled wheeled buggy, buckboard type, or antique carriage. No viceroys, racing sulkys, or fine harness rigs allowed.

E. Exhibitors shall not be allowed to wear formal type wear (evening gowns or tuxedos). Casual or western type wear is appropriate, hats may or may not be worn, but all clothing should be appropriate to the type of vehicle that is being used.

F. Judging to be based 70% on way of going, 20% on equipment and harness, 10% on conformation.
I'm confused as to why Liverpool bits would not be allowed when they are traditional turnout for many multiple hitches in carriage harness, but can live with that. I LOVE the fact that checks are optional!
default_aktion033.gif
It would be nice if the apparel rules could be broadened to include appropriate historical turnout such as driving aprons, brown gloves, nice jackets and ladies' hats (which is definitely NOT a casual appearance); I am a little concerned that confused judges pouring over the rules for guidance might decide that since such a thing isn't listed, it isn't allowed.

My main concern however is with the description of the accepted vehicles. I understand that some exclusion needs to be made to indicate that roadster rigs, viceroys and the like are not to be shown in this class. What bothers me is that the description of the vehicles which are allowed completely skips all the modern two- and four-wheeled carriages which are available for multiple hitches. Meadowbrooks and other country-driving turnout are not the only appropriate two-wheeled vehicles for tandems (and barring a Cape Cart arrangement, two-wheelers should NEVER be used for pairs!) and there are many four-wheeled vehicles that cannot correctly be classed as buggies, buckboards or antiques. Unless you make room for those in this division it is essentially a costume class just as Roman Chariot is. IMO that would be a terrible shame and leaves many modern drivers out in the rain, unable to use their gig carts, Bellcrowns, marathon vehicles or other perfectly appropriate light-harness turnouts for fear the judge will DQ them.

Respectfully,

Leia Gibson

Snohomish, WA

Last edited by a moderator:
As a fellow carriage driver, I COMPLETELY agree with Leia. She is accurate on all points.

It would be a shame to basically add this as a "costume" class because the rules are not necessarily in line with accepted industry practice. By getting the input of serious carriage drivers, this class and the like for single horses, would open up a whole new option for real drivers and income for breed shows.
yes.gif
Use the Morgans as more of a "model" if you will (not that they are the end all be all, but they are closer than any other breed at developing appropriate classes for the different styles of driving).

To be bluntly honest...by not allowing Liverpool bits (which are historically appropriate for some turnouts), allowing two-wheelers for pairs (considered an extreme safety risk by ADS), and having casual attire will only turn off those of us drivers who know better. Another consideration that we know better is that full collars and hames are appropriate for some vehicles, especially heavy ones (such as a buggy for a mini) with a low draft, but these rules leave them out. Check bits and martingales are completely inappropriate for the vehicles listed even if they are optional, as those are for viceroys and Jerald-type carts. If we would show up in the carriage ring with some of these things, we at best would not be placed and at worst not allowed to show by the Technical Delegate. I don't bring this up to be snobby, as carriage rules are not only steeped in tradition, but safety as well. Every rule has a logical or historical significance.

We would love to be able to show our ADS-acceptable turnouts in the breed ring, but with the present rules we are decidedly left out.

Myrna

RhineStone said:
...allowing two-wheelers for pairs (considered an extreme safety risk by ADS),
I think it's probably okay to allow it for these short classes in the ring as it would encourage new drivers who (like me!) cannot yet afford a pair cart to go ahead and get their feet wet. I'm uncomfortable however with the idea that people would prefer a Meadowbrook as an acceptable pair cart.

RhineStone said:
...Another consideration...is that full collars and hames are appropriate for some vehicles, especially heavy ones (such as a buggy for a mini) with a low draft, but these rules leave them out.
Definitional issue: I believe "full hames" refers to the ones that stick up above the collar with little balls on the end. They are as distinctly draft harness as a full Scotch collar is, and those are what is being barred by these rules. Regular neck collars with buggy hames are allowed.

Leia

Keeley to reply to your question.

Here's a picture of our entry at the Nationals in the Light Harness Class.

We were fortunate enough to get Reserve in the Open Class and National Champion in the Stakes Class.

There were 4 entries in the Open Class. The requirements for this class are:

Walk - Trot - Extended Trot.

The CDE vehicle in our opinion was appropriate for this class.

However, it was not entered in the LIGHT harness class but was in the FINE harness class.

Which is covered by a different set of rules.

Hal1.jpg

Latest posts

Back