"AMHR Light Harness Pairs or More"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S Bar P

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has any more information about this new class that was presented at convention this year. We heard about it but don't know much. It is called "AMHR Light Harness Pairs or More". It's different than the "fine harness" class but I don't really know how. Our club is having a 4 judge show in Cedar Rapids, IA on June 19-20 at Kirkwood Community College again - like last year. Our show committee is meeting this Saturday to finalize our class list. Our judges and steward have been contracted and the facility is contracted! We will have draft class again along with Western and the usual driving classes. But maybe we should save a spot for this new class, too?

how is light harness different from fine harness?

does anyone have a copy of the rules for this?

will this be offered at nationals?

Bump. I would like to know more too, hopefully someone that went to convention will get on here and explain.

Do you have any exhibitors who drive multiple hitches that would support this class if you add it to your show schedule? I guess for one extra class you're not out much if you add it to your list & no one enters.

If you don't get details sooner I imagine the rules for the new class will be printed in the rule book update that will be available later in the winter.

Out of curiosity, do your draft classes get many entries?

There is an Iowan that is strongly supporting this new class and she is very excited to have this new class option. She commented that a viceroy is not required for this new class. For now she and her husband show Drafts - single, pair, and four-up. This group was the only ones in our draft classes last year at the Cedar Rapids show but they are encouraging another group from Minnesota to come along to Iowa with some from Wisconsin that drive drafts. She explained that there is a lady in Wisconsin that will come to enter this new class if we offer it ...... but we just haven't heard the specifics about the class yet. I will ask her to add her information to this thread so we can learn together. Time to tune up your fine harness pairs...!
default_saludando.gif

This is an AMHR show. We have four judges confirmed but don't have the contracts back yet....so need to hold off on that announcement.....but we do have one Nationals judge! We will put the names on our website as soon as possible - don't know how to put a link here but just google All American Miniature Horse Club.

Are there any plans in your future to do an AMHA show in addition to AMHR? We almost came last year and heard it was a good show. Seriously considering coming this year. I know the facility is fabulous....just curious.

Hello LB Forum,

I have not replied to this forum in the past, I have only read it, so I'm somewhat unsure if I'm doing this correctly. But my name is Rita Lindahl, and I'm from Iowa. I am the person who asked for this new class at convention. I was unable to attend convention this year, but did my homework and sent in my proposal and also asked a large group of people who would be supportive of this class to support the proposal. Most of whom are drivers of at least singles and definitely of multiple classes. The reason to even ask for this proposal, was dual. The current class "Fine Harness Horses Pairs or More, 38" and Under" #1512 is in the current rulebook 2008, Section X, Part 18, Page 265 is confusing (at least it was to me). Go and read it and follow the item under A. When you refer to that section, it is in the Modern Shetlands. My second goal was to have another class for multiple hitches to show in.

What happened in 2008 at a show here in Iowa, another person and I were the only two entries in the class. She had a nice antique buggy with full collars, but not full hames(within the guidelines), I had a meadowbrook with pleasure (patton leather) harness on our teams. After circling the ring once we were told to drive at ease. After a lengthy huddle, the judges and steward informed us that we were both in error with our vehicles and/or harnesses and should be DQ'd. But since we were both wrong, they let us go ahead and finish the class and placed us. We asked afterwards and were told that we had to have fine harness on (which I did), and we must be driving a viceroy. Well, I had been driving this class for a long time this way even back to shetlands in the 90's. So we decided not to ever enter the class again. From that time forward, not wanting to be embarrassed by that again, we did not enter the class. We understand that the class was in the lineup with other shows and the most likely vehicle driven by pairs, or tandems, was the meadowbrook cart and in pleasure harness.

Not wanting to ruin the class for those who have been showing that way, I proposed this new class.

It is my understanding that it was approved in the AMHR Committee meeting at Convention "with flying colors". It was then also approved by the BOD (which is necessary in order to become a new class). I had also asked to have this class put in as "extraordinary" since I'm already in my late 60's and don't have many years left in which to enjoy this class. I love driving a team with my meadowbrook stlye cart. We had it special made with a pole and removable shafts. (I can send photos and the name of the person who made this for us).

At the Spring BOD meeting, it will be brought up again to make sure that it gets into the new rules for 2010. That being said, I do not know whether there will be a whole new rulebook (it needs re-writing desparately) or just a supplement as we received this year. I was the chairman of the rulebook committe several years ago, and we barely got started "fixing" the mistakes. Not in the rules themselves (that takes the BOD), but in the technical writing of the same. Many bad references, etc. in the rulebook make it confusing. But we did get a good start on it. Basically, in my opinion, it would take a "technical writer" to complete the book, but that would cost the club some $$.

Anyway, I can give you all a copy of this new class in this forum, but since I was not at convention, I do not know if it was passed exactly as I wrote it, but I have heard if the submitter is not present, a new rule has to be voted down and re-submitted. If you want to have me type it here, let me know. I could send it privately also. I could also send a photo of my team in 2008 when we did show early in the year. I think I can figure out how to attach a photo here.

It is not a required class, and anyone wanting to enter it, will have to call their local club sponsors and/or show committees and ask to have it in the lineup. Then you have to support it, too. You can e-mail me for questions and I'll do the best I can to answer them.

It's a basic multiple hitch class that give those of us who drive our minis in draft classes to have another class to show our horses. ANd it also is a class for those of us who have buggies to show in at the local level. I do not know if this class will be at Nationals. If we want it, we'd better show some support for it at the local level and then ask for it at the National level, too. If enough of you want to show in this class, we should get a letter to the AMHR National Show Committee and request it ASAP. Never to soon to start! Thanks for reading this long thread, and e-mail me if you have comments. [email protected]

ANother comment regarding the AAMHC Show in Cedar Rapids at the Kirkwood College facility. Their first show was this year and the facility is absolutely awesome. Also, the show committee had people with name tags on and they were all over the barns helping exhibitors in any way they could. That was a big help to us. It's only for miniatures (AMHR) at this time, but perhaps they might consider adding shetlands or another day and have an AMHA show. We'll be back in 2010 if they have those draft hitch classes for us and if they'll consider the new proposal, that's even better!! I'll be out there campaining to get entries there. It's not fun being the only one in the class. We always welcome the competition.

The first paragraph of the new class states "Classes may be offered for pairs, tandems, unicorns, four-in-hand, six-in-hand, 4 abreast, etc." So the answer is yes, you may do the tandem.

Hi Rita, I knew that was you being referred to. Hope this goes through for you as I know how much time and money goes into what you do, and, as a spectator, I love watching the "big rigs". You and Richard and Mel and Maureen are so much fun to watch at the shows. Later, Mary

Thanks Mary. It is lots of work and we are exhausted when it's over, but you and Mike have been a "godsend" at some of the shows helping us. And now with the two "nuts" considering driving a 6-up each in 2010, we'll really need help. And by two "nuts", I'm referring to my husband Richard and Maureen Storm!

I'm now looking to buy a hitch wagon for myself so I can drive my own team like Mel does. That means there'll be at least 4 entries in all the team classes that are held at the shows. The managers will like that, and so will we when we have competition even if it is husband against wife and friend against friend. What a blast it will be. Forget that we are all in our (or nearly in our) 70's!!!

I really, really want to drive a team to my meadowbrook cart with the pleasure harness. That's what I like. Richard doesn't care for that class, so it's my baby!

Hey Rita, The show committee met today. We are going to add your class to our AAMHC (Cedar Rapids, IA) show's lineup as long as it is all a go by AMHR sanctioning rules! Everyone is excited to see it - we all love to watch the hitches. Mmmm....I have two matching sorrel pintos.....or two blacks ..... now you've even got me thinking.
default_saludando.gif

That's great. Now I can start working on those "other" multiple hitch people. And go for it, Amy! Once you drive a team, you'll be a goner!

The hardest part is finding a pleasure harness for a team, I think. They are out there, but you might have to get one made. We've had ours for almost 30 years!

I'm surprised no one has asked to see the rest of the proposal. Do you suppose I should just put it here anyway? Or should I start a new thread. I'm really getting into this LB forum now. As if I had time for it. I've got so many "projects" to get done here at home. Almost wishing for a blizzard!

Hey! Those blacks aren't 3 years old and at least 34" are they? We need one more for Richard for his 6-up.

The first paragraph of the new class states "Classes may be offered for pairs, tandems, unicorns, four-in-hand, six-in-hand, 4 abreast, etc." So the answer is yes, you may do the tandem.
Am I misunderstanding or was that a typo? Can't wait to see that class!
default_new_shocked.gif

In regards to the topic, I don't drive a team but we were there last year and have "talked it up" to everyone that will listen. We plan on being there with -hmmm, not bells, nor horns (LOL), but we'll be there and hopefully have several others from our club convinced to make the trip.

The facility was great. The people were GREAT! We had a terrific time.So my advice is be there!!!

Hi Rita,

Would you email the proposed requirements for the new class to me / or post it here; whichever is easier.

What type of cart is required? All we would have to show in would be a one seat wagon. I'd call it a buckboard. Would that work?

We have a harness that I think would work; and 2 teams...but neither have competed. I've watched, but can't remember, are the multiple hitches required to back up? swing?

Thanks,

Mary

Back