AMHR Height on papers vrs height at show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an R pony that on the papers says he is 34.75" tall, I measure him at an honest 34" myself and he is a senior horse. I tracked down and contacted the previous previous owners (who are not "mini" or "pony" people),and when they sent in his paperwork for Temp to Perm status, they measured him wrong and at the withers (he is ASPC too, so they got it confused) and rounded up a bit from the sounds of it.

Now - When I take him to a show next year, since he DOES measure 34", could I show him under even though his papers say that he is 34.75"? I surely would not want to show him over just because his paperwork says that he is 34.75", as he is a shrimp and technically an under horse at actual measurement. Would I need to change his height on his paperwork before we go to a show, not even sure if that can be done. Or would we be fine when he measures 34" at the show by the stewart and no changes need to be made on his amhr paperwork height? That won't be brought into question?

I just do not want it to be questioned next year. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a gelding that has 34.5"s on his permenate papers, but once he measured in at 34 at a show by the steward and we changed his classes that show to the A division. I din't change his papers, good thing too, cause the next show he was back to being measured in as B. I think it has to do with the fitness, hoof length, and the steward doing the measuring.

you can show in the under divison with your horse..

You show him in whatever class he measures into the day of the show. I have one thats very on the line, sometimes he measures over, sometimes he measures under.

Show him A and have fun.

My Nitro is shrinking with age...
default_new_shocked.gif
His first AMHR measurement card and papers said 36", but measured smaller and smaller every year since. This past year he measured 34" at the show... I reset him and had them measure again, and he squeaked over at 34.5". Maybe this is more common than some people may think, I'm not sure. I know of all the horses showing, most are not "old" and maybe it is possible that they do shrink with time.
default_wacko.png
Nitro will be coming 12, so not old, but it will be his seventh year as a gelding too. Either way, I find it kind of neat to see, since, I do not care where he measures.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you transfer them you are suppose to watch them measure the horse...
default_wink.png
or measure yourself

I am pretty good at eyeing them as far as height goes, and I knew he was a 34" horse standing square so I wasn't worried and am not worried now. I have measured him and got him 34" on level ground standing square twice (this was before his feet were trimmed too and they were long) and just happen to look at the R papers this morning and seen they had 34.75" on the papers, I've always more shown junior R horses so this was never an issue I worried about. He is pretty tiny, considering he is AMHR/ASPC.

So glad this isn't going to be an issue as I've got big plans for this guy
default_smile.png

The height on the papers really has no bearing at all on what class they will show in at the show. You could show in 28 and under at one show, and in the over division at the next, if that's where your horse measures. That's an exaggerated example, but you see what I mean. It's one of the reasons why measuring is such a big issue right now. Not only will the fitness, hoof length, and how excited a horse is at a given time affect a measurement, but they will also change from one measurer to the next. If your horse is on the cusp of a height bracket, you could end up going back and forth from show to show......

The height on the papers really has no bearing at all on what class they will show in at the show. You could show in 28 and under at one show, and in the over division at the next, if that's where your horse measures. That's an exaggerated example, but you see what I mean. It's one of the reasons why measuring is such a big issue right now. Not only will the fitness, hoof length, and how excited a horse is at a given time affect a measurement, but they will also change from one measurer to the next. If your horse is on the cusp of a height bracket, you could end up going back and forth from show to show......
Depending on how close the shows are you might go back and forth but most measurements are good for 60 days so whatever he is at one show (if you like the measurement) is what he can be shown at for the next 60 days. If you don't like that measurement you have the option of having him remeasured at the next show.

I have one that used to be measured over by everyone except the "older" stewards and national stewards. So I went to a show with him entered in the over classes and he measured right at 34". At that time I could choose to put him in the over or under classes.

Depending on how close the shows are you might go back and forth but most measurements are good for 60 days so whatever he is at one show (if you like the measurement) is what he can be shown at for the next 60 days. If you don't like that measurement you have the option of having him remeasured at the next show.

I have one that used to be measured over by everyone except the "older" stewards and national stewards. So I went to a show with him entered in the over classes and he measured right at 34". At that time I could choose to put him in the over or under classes.
For AMHR once the horse has a "permanent" card (3 and older), it only needs to be measured once that year, not including nationals. Temporary cards, for horses 2 and under, are good for 60 days from the measurement, again excluding nationals.

Latest posts

Back