AMHR Foundation for Miniature Horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think that this is the time to have a foundation certification for AMHR Miniature Horses?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Atleast not at this present time.

• Total voters

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
This is going off from another thread and I brought up about a possiblity if AMHR could have a foundation certification for AMHR horses that come from miniature horse breeding 4 generations back. Just like the foundations do in shetlands that have to be A papered. I know, I know, miniature horses go way back from breeding shetlands. But I am talking about miniature horses today going against AMHR/ASPC ponies. If we could possibly have foundation classes for our miniatures we can bring them back in the show ring. I am thinking small, only halter and driving classes, maybe even liberty.

For those of you with your AMHR/ASPC breeding program am I by no means putting you down. You are doing something right, you are winning in today show ring, but I am not rich nor am I changing my program to be competitive. I just would still like to show my miniature horses.

Perhaps no one feels the same way as I do, and thats fine, I was just putting it out there.

Looking 4 generations back to eliminate the Shetlands might not tell you much in some cases. There are still horses with "unknown" in the first 4 generations of their pedigrees, just as there are horses who were hardshipped in with an unknown pedigree even though they were already registered Shetlands.

What are you going to do for the person who has a "foundation type" Mini and wants to show it--can't afford to replace it with a Shetland bred Mini--but then cannot qualify for 'foundation' status because on the 3rd or 4th line of the pedigree there is an 'unknown' or 'unregistered'?

I'll admit--I voted no.

You are right, knew it was a stupid idea. I just wish there was a class for the miniature horse where AMHR/ASPC horses can't compete in, but hey its just a height registry after all.

You are right, knew it was a stupid idea. I just wish there was a class for the miniature horse where AMHR/ASPC horses can't compete in, but hey its just a height registry after all.
I don't think it's a stupid idea. Why can't there be an answer for the halter classes like Western Country Pleasure was for the driving classes ? I don't breed or show halter, but I happen to like the "classic" miniature horse.

It's at least an idea to begin discussing.

And that's my 2 cents worth.

Actually, I agree with you and what you are trying to say and we have horses that are AMHA/AMHR and just AMHR and others that are AMHR/ASPC and we showed at both AMHR Nationals and at Congress this year. The thing is, the foundation shetlands are more the classic style pony/mini and I think you are referring more to the need to separate the modern fancy moving, high stepping more hot blooded ASPC ponies that are cropping up in mini classes when they are able to get measured in from the more classic style mini. Though we have AMHR minis that are also registered ASPC and are Foundation, ours move and look like our AMHR only horses and have very similar personalities. Since my whole family shows and we always want horses that can be shown successfully in youth, amateur and adult, we have stayed away from the modern style, fancier, high stepping more high strung type of mini/pony because the ones I have been around would probably have a nervous breakdown being around my kids with the constant movement, commotion, chaos, etc. and with what I have seen so far, I do not think they could safely be handled or shown by my kids.

What needs to happen, I think, (and yes, I know we already have a TON of classes at shows) but I think they just need to be separated out not by any sort of foundation type seal but by type (body style, movement, leg action). Basically what was done by bringing in the Western Country Pleasure classes, and judges need to be educated and informed and stick to specific standards and reward or penalize a horse accordingly in the class they are judging and the horse should fit within the standard and type of that category -- western country pleasure, country pleasure, pleasure and then some final additional division. I think this conversation came up last year and someone suggested a new division I think called english pleasure.

Latest posts

Back