AMHR Driving Class #1512

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awoimini

Reaction score
Is there anybody out there who has shown in an AMHR Sanctioned Show in class #1512 which is Fine Harness Pairs or More 38" & Under.

My question is, what type of vehicle do you use? Please include photos if you can. We have shown in this class when we drove Shetlands, and used to drive this in Miniatures also. After over 10 years at it, we have been told our vehicle is not correct by a judge. Would like some clarification. I know there is a group in Wisconsin that have this class at their shows and also in the NW region. You can e-mail me privately if you'd rather. [email protected]

Thanks,

Rita Lindahl

Central Iowa Forum Member

i showed in it with my tandem stallions in 06'. it really depends on the type f driving your doing as a two wheel cart is what is the norm for tandem. if you had a 4 up or what not you would probably want a 4 wheel carriage. Read the rulebook and see what it says and then do research online for big horses ect on what is typical attire and set up for whatever your "pair" is doing.

i showed in it with my tandem stallions in 06'. it really depends on the type f driving your doing as a two wheel cart is what is the norm for tandem. if you had a 4 up or what not you would probably want a 4 wheel carriage. Read the rulebook and see what it says and then do research online for big horses ect on what is typical attire and set up for whatever your "pair" is doing.
I have read the rule book and if you read the detail, it actually refers you back to the Modern Shetland section and that leads to even more confusion. I used a two wheel cart (wire wheeled) with a pole for our shetlands and minis. We had shown in that for the past 3 years with miniatures. AMHR Rulebook seems screwed up in this category. 2008 rulebook page 265. Gait requirements are trot and walk (flat footed) and rein back-not a problem. Then it just states "appropriate" vehicle. Would a Meadowbrook be appropriate? That's why I ask others what they have used. In this day and age, it's impossible to own several different types of vehicles and haul them to shows. Had a friend who also showed in a class with me and was told her full collars with the carriage hames was not appropriate also. She was pulling a 2 seated buggy.

Thanks for the input.

Iowamini

When showing in fine harness you need to use the harness that is appropriate to the vehicle you are using as well as the configuration of horses needs to suit the vehicle. A 2 wheel wire wheeled cart is not appropriate for a team pole and pair. You would need to show either as a tandem with the 2 wheel you have, put the team on a 4 wheel or get yourself a Curricle or Cape Cart or other appropriate pairs 2 wheel cart. A Meadowbrook would only be appropriate if you were driving a tandem pair or single horse.

You likely haven't been bothered in the past as most of the judges are not really driving judges but more and more of them are educating themselves and it may become more prevalent in future. It is your responsibility as an exhibitor to make yourself aware of the requirements of a class. You have taken a good first step by asking your questions here but if you want to continue to show in fine harness you should do some research on vehicles and harness. On The Box Seat by Tom Ryder has some very good info as well as The Art of Driving by Max Pape.

Cudos to you for driving tandem. I attempted this the other day at a driving clinic with my two boys and boy I felt like I had never held a pair of reins before. How on earth do you handle two sets of reins? I know if I would just practice I could probably get it, but I think I might try pairs instead.

lol lets just say i ttook some practice (trial and error) and a really nice lead horse. he'd never been a lead horse but he's so easy to drive overall it was easier! Two different types of reins help. my lead horse has wider thicker reins and my wheel horse has thinner reins so it gives you some destinction between the two.

Latest posts

Back