AMHR Draft Classes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacki

Reaction score
The Bluestem Miniature Horse Club show is working on our class lists for the 2013 show season. Could someone speak to the AMHR Draft classes, The AMHR 2012 Class List does not show any Draft Halter but I know they were offered at Nationals.

What classes were offered? How are they split, age - gender - height? Is this something people are interested in?

Thanks so much.

Jacki Loomis

What is a draft mini? How do you know if you have one? My boy is a Heinz 57. I think he may have old fashioned shetland in him somewhere because he has such big bones, big butt and even extra large mini halters don't fit him. I have to cut down parts of a pony halter to fit correctly but he is really a little mis-fit. If I ever get a nice photo of him and figure out how to put it on the computer I would love to show him to all of you.

Search this forum, prior to AMHR Nationals there was a string about them that included pictures.

Jacki Loomis

The draft halter classes were offered at Nationals as a non-rated class. They had it split by gender only (draft driving is 38" and under). So there were 3 draft halter classes offered: draft gelding, 38" & under; draft mare, 38" & under; and draft stallion, 38" & under. They were required to show in a draft driving class to be eligable to show in draft halter, and had to show in a draft-style halter (white, non-cable). This was the first year for draft halter, and there was a good size turn-out for it. Also, the draft driving classes had many due to the driving requirement. Don't know if AMHR will allow it to become a rated class and accrue HOF points this year, guess we'll see.

I would love to see these locally. My gelding got his HOF in halter as a 3 YO, now at 12 he's much stockier and, IMHO, would fit these classes perfectly!! *hint hint*

Here's a pic of the new team we took to AMHR Nationals this year.

The horse on the left was just strated this Spring. The horse on the right was driving last year with another partner.

This is our interpretation of a mini draft team. Even the large draft breeds have gone to more refinement in their hitch horses.

The farm draft horses are more stocky and heavy.

The mini draft classes are judges on unison, equipment, conformation of horses and ability to do required maneuvers.

This is spelled out more in the rule book.

404244_2471927853434_654236923_n.jpg

Here's a pic of one or our Single Horse Draft entries. Same rules apply.

599192_2472008375447_548310959_n.jpg

Awesome hitch Hal and Deb!!! I agree the show drafts are more stylish than many picture.. The coarse ones are left home on a plow...

This is the class description for the draft halter class:

Entries in the Draft Halter class must also be entered in a draft driving class, single or multiple.

Mane and tail must be braided.

Feet should be clean and trimmed and if shod, properly fitted.

Mini drafts should be more stout and large bone type. Deep chest and strong shoulders. Good feet and straight legs.

Halter should be white or silver; no cable halters

Horses shown at the walk and trot, the same as other halter classes.

Here was my entry and placed 4th:

230421_3743514874458_1642805740_n.jpg

545530_3743515314469_95317318_n.jpg

I enjoyed the class, for the most part I think the judging was good, and I hope the class continues to grow and become a success. I hope that one day it can be a rated class and I hope that we can have a Grand and Reserve Championship like the other regular halter classes and have the 1st and 2nd place winners come back in and pick a Grand and Reserve champion draft halter.

The only issue I have with this is that it's a requirement to drive in a draft driving class. I understand why and I like to agree with it but you are limiting your entries for the halter classes. This isn't exactly like Roadster In-hand and just have to show in a roadster class. Many would be looking into getting whole new equipment for these classes to be able to show in draft halter. Also it says conformation is part of the judging in draft harness so shouldn't it be the same type of conformation you should see in the draft halter class?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jaime, don't mean to be argumentative but being on the Draft Horse Rule Committee,

this class was brought up at the last minute before the Nationals. I voted against it for two reasons:

1) There is not a set standard for Judging, referring to Hitch Horse or Heavy Draft.

When we asked - no one knew. It was never said, in our teleconference, a draft should be heavy boned or stout.

Conformation of the two - hitch horse or heavy draft - are two different things.

2) We are already showing at 1 A.M. in the morning and adding more non-rated classes keeps pushing our rated classes later and later.

I am not against Draft Halter but we need to specify the rules.

Maybe, we should consider a "Farm Class" where less expensive equipment could be used.

I understand it was last minute. It was last minute for all the exhibitors as well. And I'm sure if they ever decide to make it a rated class it needs to be looked at carefully. But I don't want to see it for just another class for anyone can go into, I would like to see some type of standard when it comes to what type of horse we are looking for.

Also if it does become rated they should follow the rules of conformation what they look for in a draft halter horse for a draft driving horse, which makes sense to me because why make a draft halter horse go into a draft driving class if they don't fit the criteria of conformation?

This could bring more people into the draft driving and entries seemed to grow due to this class. I rather see growth in the draft driving vs having a farm class. But like I said before it still limits your entries for the halter.

I loved the Draft classes at Nationals. The only thing I thought was the horses were more hitch horses than draft but that is because I

have the heavy, stouter looking horse that can wear a collar and hames.

I like that you have to drive your horses to be able to show them at halter as to me that is what they would be used for.

I hope more shows put heavy draft classes in then there will be no need for a farm class.

Just must say that we feel a lot of the show classes are becoming a "rich man's sport". The newer wording for the hitch classes, in particulair, the wagon are our prime example. The parade hitch wagon with fifth wheel, brakes and the wood wheels that look like the true large breed hitch wagons are very expensive. Sure we can compete with a lesser wagon, but as rules state, the true hitch wagon will have presidence over the others when it comes down to nip and tuck. Wish we all had our pockets lined with gold! Either way, we will show and enjoy our horses and their abilities. Just a good thing we can't afford to travel to Nationals I guess. JMO.
default_giveup.gif

Just must say that we feel a lot of the show classes are becoming a "rich man's sport". The newer wording for the hitch classes, in particulair, the wagon are our prime example. The parade hitch wagon with fifth wheel, brakes and the wood wheels that look like the true large breed hitch wagons are very expensive. Sure we can compete with a lesser wagon, but as rules state, the true hitch wagon will have presidence over the others when it comes down to nip and tuck. Wish we all had our pockets lined with gold! Either way, we will show and enjoy our horses and their abilities. Just a good thing we can't afford to travel to Nationals I guess. JMO.
default_giveup.gif
But this is what the "big guys" really do... And we should hold ourselves to the same standard. Particularly at Nationals! I guarantee that a draft size hitch wagon, six draft show harness with scotch tops costs way, way more than a mini scale hitch plus the rig to haul it. My friend shoes drafts for top winning show hitches and charges $600+ per horse for scotch bottoms with weighted packages welded in. People showing these fancy hitches spend lots and lots of money...

No one makes you have to do it. But those who love it, will.

Most people who want to show off their non-hitch-type drafts usually do so at "farm implement days" and farming events. Draft horses that go to the "draft horse nationals" are usually refined, upright, and break level at the trot.

I think people generally miss this when discussing draft horses.

Showy draft horses are supposed to be really flashy and show off your hitch wagon as a form of advertisement (think Budweiser) back in the day. Think the difference between a semi truck all blinged out with chrome and fancy graphics.... Versus a rental semi. Draft horses were the business advertisement. The stocky plain ones stayed out home in the field.

If minis want to be taken seriously by their big horse counterparts, we would do well to study them and be informed. I think the Bryant hitch is what everyone should be striving toward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disneyhorse - thanks for the kind words --We do what we love and love what we do - glad it shows.

I've been trying to locate an old family photo to post but can seem to find in right now. If I do - I will post it later.

The picture I wanted to share was taken when Hal was about 5 years old. He had a "team" of goats hitched

to his little red wagon - that was his first driving experience and where it all started for him. He still loves red wagons!

Over the years, we have attended hundreds of big draft shows, walked the barns and talked to other drivers, asked

thousands of questions, studied other folks wagons, viceroys, carriages, buckboards, etc, etc and have quite a library

of books on just about any vehicle, harness and type of driving there is - and quess what - we are still learning!

The Draft Horse Rule Committee that Hal has been a part of, spent many hours and several conference calls defining and refining

the rules for our Draft Classes. The Committee in no way wanted to limit the entries because of the expense involved with showing

in draft driving classes. That is specifically why the rules say that "preference" will be given to a full fifth wheel vehicle.

He started with that little red wagon. Draft driving is expensive - especially compared to other classes. We consider it a good investment

for alot of reasons beyond the Show Ring. We do alot of parades, weddings, nursing home visits, homecomings, meet & greets, etc. and

the vehicles if properly taken of do not depreciate. Just like the family car - over the years, we have managed to trade up.

Thanks Deb for the picture! Hal and my dad who also drives draft both came from an era where they used draft horses to plow with. Dad's dad also had a team of mules. They were poor migrant farm workers who traveled between Oklahoma and West Texas. I enjoy watching those draft teams and want to get to Nebraska during their corn husking days (happen about the middle of October) and watch those draft teams compete. I have a really nice picture that Tracey Slagle took of one of the teams and gave me for Christmas. Also for those that don't know, Tracey's husband, Brian is the son of Art Slagle who also drove the 40 mule hitch. Next time you see Tracey or Brian visit with them about Brian's dad. The Slagles are well known in the midwest on their draft driving skills.

It isn't something that would interest me.
Well, then don't bother watching. But for me, it was awesome watching the rigs, the hitches, the way these horses can work the ring. LOTS of time and energy, training and love went into some beautiful representatives of another facet of what you can do with a miniature.

Ah, Jean, I was only answering a question as posed in the original post: "Is this something people are interested in?"

Latest posts

Back