AMHR/ASPC Cross Enter at SAME SHOW Proposal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See--there's the thing though--in a Morgan type Mini (or pony) some would be saddle type, some hunter type, some western type--but a certain percentage wouldn't agree with me.

I imagine we will see DNA come in one day, not sure how soon, I'm not opposed to that but then I'm not breeding so wouldn't have a bunch to do.

Being able to show by type isn't always the answer... Judges seem to prefer to pick the most extreme of any class. How often have you heard a Shetland exhibitor say "that pony shouldn't be shown Classic, it's breaking level!" Or a mini exhibitor griping that a Country horse is too extreme and should be shown Pleasure.

Fact is, there are Shetland ponies that have their Halter Hall of Fames as BOTH a classic AND a modern! This means that type is subjective and lots of judges see things differently.

We also see minis HOF in both Country and Pleasure. So type is not an answer.

Interesting tidbit of history - the first DNA program in the ASPC/AMHR was the Modern Sweepstakes. The Modern Sweepstakes was started as a DNA based program in the 1990's and modeled after the AHHS's Hackney Limited Breeders' Sweepstakes. The Classic Sweepstakes started a few years later and also had a DNA requirement from its inception. The AMHR Sweepstakes existed for many years without a DNA requirement.

(If Holly was breeding she could DNA half her Shetland herd and get them DNA parentage verified as most of my breeding stock already has DNA on file - eventually they all will!)

As a Straight AMHR breeder, I am looking at 20 years of stallion reports that I have sent in, on generations of AMHR horses in order to get them registered. Just one wrong number or mistake and those horses are out, or I am viewed as a dishonest breeder. One mistake can throw a horse out.

I have drawers full of paper work that I am scared to get rid of because I may need a copy of this or that or proof of this or that. I almost go crazy that I may forget to do stuff.

If I make a mistake of forget something, that horses papers are no good. I can't sell that horse as a registered horse and it can never come in and show. And rightly so.

However, if I do nothing and just register them AMHA, in they come for 100 or 200 dollars. No paperwork, no records sent to AMHR. I just wander around take a look at my AMHA horses see which one looks good, slap my money down, get a trainer and I could win AMHR Nationals.

Latest posts

Back