AMHR-AMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
What I feel is the difference between AMHA and AMHR

With all the talk of the membership having more say of how the AMHA is run, by online voting, I thought I would throw this in. This is not to say that one way is better than the other, just to give some of the new people getting into the miniature horses an idea why you see such an uproar within the AMHA and not a boo about AMHR.

The AMHA was set up as democracy. The original founders could never have imagined the internet, and the power of the individual members, because of it. I can't imagine the old boys that founded it thinking that Little Suzie Que, from ND would have as much say as they did. So, in AMHA if you come to a convention, your vote is as good as the next guy.

AMHR was set up differently. In AMHR 10,000 people could come to convention and vote yes for something (if it made it through the committee and was brought to the general membership), BUT the Board could overturn that vote if they felt that it was not good for the whole outfit. I don’t think that they do that very often, but they can. So, you could ramble all you wanted about an AMHR issue on the Forum and it would not help whatever your cause was. You learn to work though your elected directors. They are very powerful.

This used to make me mad, but looking back, I feel that this system has served us very well. It gives us time to step back and look at the whole picture and not see something rammed through too quickly. So AMHR members, it is very important to vote on who you want to serve you as your director. Renee

Lavern your post is excellent and so easy to understand. The two registries are VERY different in how they are set up as an organization and how they are run. Its like night and day. And like you I am not at all saying one is better then the other they are just different!

Ultimately it is in the best interest of anyone who owns, breeds or shows small equine to have all registries do well.

Thank you very much for posting this! I found this very informative!

Good clarification there LaVern.

Both registries have their pros and cons on how they work.

Personally I feel AMHR has a bit too much power invested in just the Directors decision making - it does cut through alot of the b.s. that the 'democratic' AMHA has, but being a democrat I do like to think my voice can be heard and make a difference as well as the next guys! I may not like the varied opinions but I do believe everyone is entitled to theirs! I also like to feel whether it is 100 or 10,000 of us that say 'hey we want this changed' and we voted on it that it can happen versus the Board going 'how neat but we're voting differently'!

Maybe we need a third registry run as a dictatorship - lol!!! Wouldn't that be a hoot!!!!

I think it should be pointed out that the BOD of AMHA can, and has, overturned decisions made by vote of 'the members'(meaning, that usually VERY small proportion of the total qualified membership who are privileged to be able to travel/be away from home for days to attend the Annual Meetings). Under specific circumstances and procedures, it is allowed for within AMHA's rules. It would seem that the BOD's of BOTH associations are 'very powerful'....and in AMHA, so is the EC-perhaps more than it was intended to be? (not familiar enough w/ AMHR in that respect to comment).

I think everyone in any way familiar w/ the history of the US (actually, a democratic republic), would have to agree that democracy has NEVER been 'neat and tidy'--but, well worth continuing to demand!

Margo

Latest posts

Back