AMHA Worlds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Field-of-Dreams

Reaction score
Please tell me this is a typo- $60 for Special Needs classes? Regular classes are $60, too.... IMHO these classes should be far less, like a Youth class. (No, I am NOT a S/N or PMC handler). Maybe I'm thinking of a different show, but I SWEAR I saw a classlist where S/N classes were like $10.

Or am I just hallucinating?

Lucy

Lucy,

I agree with you. I thought they generally are less than the open classes - substantially less. Hopefully it's a typo!
default_unsure.png

I show in Sp Needs classes and I believe they are the same price as the Open classes- because they are Open classes. I would love to see the price drop
default_smile.png

Peggy

I guess I'm just used to AMHR shows. For instance, I went to the Area IV show this weekend and any PMC class was FREE! I'm pretty darn sure they are generally a reduced fee at most of the shows I've gone to.

I guess I'm just used to AMHR shows. For instance, I went to the Area IV show this weekend and any PMC class was FREE! I'm pretty darn sure they are generally a reduced fee at most of the shows I've gone to.

As it should be. We WANT these people to get involved, right? *sigh*

Lucy

I can tell you that I think Cammie has tried to get that changed and I don't know what the current status is. She is out of town this week and no computer access or I'm sure she would respond.

I show in Sp Needs classes and I believe they are the same price as the Open classes- because they are Open classes. I would love to see the price drop
default_smile.png

Peggy

Actually, in MHO, they AREN'T Open classes- *I* couldn't enter one, I am not S/N. Open, to me, means "for everyone regardless of age, gender, ability", etc.

I can tell you that I think Cammie has tried to get that changed and I don't know what the current status is. She is out of town this week and no computer access or I'm sure she would respond.
I hope she succeeds. This really needs to be changed.

Lucy

Well, I'll be the meany here. I don't think we should assume they (SN) cant pay the same way the rest of us do. SN doesn't exclusively mean poor. And, some SN entrants go into the regular open classes too! So, they actually get more classes than the 'average' person.

Go ahead, flame me, I can take it.

Viki

Sorry Viki... I disagree...

The Special Needs class should not be the same as the Open class... as already stated they are welcome to show in the Open classes just like anyone else!

Special Needs classes should be on par with the Youth and Ammy entry fees. And yes, in AMHR the classes are generally free (the Rulebook suggests it). Not sure if they are free at Nationals though.

We should encourage our Special Needs, Amateurs, and Youth to participate. Lower class fees generally help.

Andrea

I agree with Andrea (disneyhorse) I think the special needs class should be in line with Amateur or youth. Have the class cost less as an incentive. I honestly think there might be more entries if there were a small fee. Many people are not comfortable with getting something free because of their special needs.

Angie

Good point, Field of Dreams.

I hope Cammie has some luck with getting this changed. SN persons need to be encouraged to show. It is a wonderful experience
default_smile.png

Peggy

I agree with the majority here......... Special Needs is NOT an "open" class. The class fee should fall in the same category as youth and amateur. And no, it should not be free either.......That would be a slap in the face.

Havent joined this because I don't like to ask for special treatment unless absolutely necessary. So I have shown in SN classes since the beginning of them. I have thought maybe the prices should be lowered for several years.

I guess people assume that people with disabilites get all kinds of financial help. I guess people that don't work get help but myself I hold down a full time job and don't get any help with anything because i make too much money! Ha! I work for a school and most people know how well they dont' pay!!

I have spina bifida and am in a wheelchair. I am in the process of getting a new wheelchair because the crossbars broke on my old one that I have had for 7 years. It is a good thing I had my 14 year old chair in working condition cause I have been fighting my insurance for 2months to get a new one ordered. They had to make sure I really needed it and wasnt just upgrading! Then when it does come I have to pay up to $500 on the copay. Doesnt leave much money for horse showing.

Don't even mention buying a new vehicle either! I am driving a 1997 Van with 250,000 miles on it hoping it holds out for a while longer. Sure i could go buy a new van but when I do then I have to somehow find at least $5000 for a lift plus several hundred dollars for hand controls. I could go on and on but won't. I guess I could quit my job and go on welfare but thats not how I was raised but a little help now and then would be great.

I love my little horses and all the friends we have met thru them but I for one could go for lower prices in SN classes. I know lots of people with disabilities that would like to show but just cant afford it.

I did not write this to have people for sorry for me. I was born this way and think I have dealt with it pretty darn good. You make the best of what is dealt to you. I just don't like it when people assume that someone with disabilities has lots of financial help and advantates. Not true! Okay I am getting off my soap box. Sheila

Last edited by a moderator:
What is AMHR charging for their PMC classes at Nationals? I can't find it

on their premium? Someone saw this thread and e-mailed me about it. I can't

seem to find an answer for them . Does anyone out there know? Thanks in advance.

Mary

I dont know about these class but what defines Special needs?? I have seen a few people show in them that in my opinion dont fit special needs.

MaryAnn, it is usually considered a open class so I would say $35, Sheila

but what defines Special needs??
Someone that would fall under the ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act) guidelines.

Thats kind of what I thought, thats why it blew my mind when I seen a certian person in the class. Felt forsure it wasnt fair to those who really did meet the rules for that class.

Good Afternoon,

For anyone that is showing in any PMC class at a sanction ASPC/AMHR show can go read the PMC rule in it's entirely in the new 2008 ASPC/AMHR rulebook on line. Part 17 page 64 is where it starts. There are several types of disabilities that are listed.

It does state that it is "recommended" that the classes are to be "free" but not required. Ms. Geneve Dupont (she is now deceased) was one of the authors of setting up the PMC program to have classes for those that might otherwise not participate in an open class. It still cost the same as a Open, Youth or Amateur class in regards to ribbons and paying for the judges. I feel they should pay at least the Amateur price for the Adult PMC classes and a Youth PMC should pay Youth class fee's.

Our club just recently discussed this very thing and have lowered our PMC classes from "Open" class fee's to the Amateur class fee's for the Adult Classes and the Youth PMC will pay our regular Youth class fee's.

I don't know what AMHA has but remember when dealing with two different Registries, please refer to their rules as to what you need to do.

Karen

Latest posts

Back