AMHA temporary to permanent question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annabellarose

Reaction score
I bought an AMHA registered mare in November of last year whose temporary papers expired in April of this year. I did not get her transferred into my name nor has she been brought permanent. Can I transfer her and bring her permanent at the same time? Or, can you bring a horse permanent after the expiration?
default_unsure.png

You can do it all at the same time. Just make sure you fill out the work order and send the correct payment with the papers and new pictures and all will be fine.

Um... it says right on my temp certificate , once the expiration date is up , you can NOT register them again . It says you MUST get that temp paper in before the expiration date or it is VOID, it states that right on the back of my paper where you sign it with the height.

Hmmmmm, Krissy, can you copy exactly what you are reading onto a reply here? I don't find anything like that on the certificate.

The front of the certificate does say.... [b]"Registration will be revoked six months after said date if application is not made for Permanent status."[/b]

that is simply saying the certificate in no longer valid (registration revoked) after 6 months from the actual birth date. You have to apply for permanent status to get a valid certificate and to have registration reinstated.

Just do like minimomNC said and all will be fine.

Charlotte

p.s. below is from the rule book:

184F Reinstatement

Revoked registration papers may be reinstated, provided

the horse is thirty-four (34) inches or less in height, by

paying two (2) times the normal cost of applying for permanent

status per the fee schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
krissy3's post scared my soul right out of my body and I was going to call AMHA today and I stubbled onto the rulebook on their website and I found this:

184E Term of Temporary RegistrationTemporary certificates shall contain the following phrase on the front of the certificate:

This certificate is valid until five (5) years of age (sixty months) unless horse exceeds thirty-four (34) inches in height. Registration will be revoked six (6) months after said date if application is not made for permanent status.

184F Reinstatement

Revoked registration papers may be reinstated, provided the horse is thirty-four (34) inches or less in height, by paying two (2) times the normal cost of applying for permanent status per the fee schedule.
*huge sigh of relief* I can handle that.
default_wink.png

Bad Angela needs to be taking care of some paperwork!
default_rolleyes.gif
This is not like me, I swear.

WOW... that was a little snippy... bad day? I am at work and will have to run home and get my paper, when I have time. I will quote it back when its in my hand. Maybe overseas papers are different .

"NOTE: after the actual 3rd birth date , and before 12/31 of the 3rd year this cirtificate MUST be forwarded to the AMHA office to be replaced with a permanent certificate"

it gives a time table .... and uses the word MUST in bold, so I assume they mean it . Thats what it says.Sorry, but maybe its different over there. This was issued 10/03/2008, 2 days after I got her, at age 1 1/2 . I run a hotel , so I am a freak about paperwork.

Last edited:
I have taken several horses permanent after their papers were revoked. These were horses I purchased. There was no problem reinstating their papers. As has been said, just send in the registration papers, the correct fee and proper pictures. New, permanent papers will be issued.
default_smile.png

WOW... that was a little snippy... bad day? I am at work and will have to run home and get my paper, when I have time. I will quote it back when its in my hand. Maybe overseas papers are different.
Certainly this was not directed at me?
default_unsure.png
I do not think that my post seemed "snippy" at all - it certainly was not meant to seem "snippy". I assumed what you posted was correct and it terrified me to think that I had let the registration certificate for my favorite mare get permanently revoked. I do not think that Charlotte's post seemed snippy either.
default_wacko.png

Annabellarose- You can take a horse permanent and transfer at the same time. I have done this many times before. You can also take an AMHA horse permanent even after expiring. Usually you have to pay an extra fee for the papers to be reinstated, but lucky for you AMHA will give you a coupon to PAY your late fees to Reinstate horses with Revoked papers for a limited time, which can be found on the AMHA home page.

krissy3-are you looking at AMHR papers or AMHA papers? I don't know if its different over seas, but I don't know why it would be different either. Here, AMHA papers go permanent at age 5, and AMHR papers go permanent at age 3. What you wrote on here sounds like what my AMHR papers say, not the AMHA papers.

I agree with Versatility - Krissy you must be looking at AMHR papers not AMHA. The AMHR papers I'm looking at say exactly what you posted. AMHA does not. Just trying to settle the confusion as this post was regarding AMHA.
default_smile.png

Well to be clear here Krissy you can bring a AMHA or AMHR horse back to permanant after papers have been revoked(expired) providing you pay the fees and the horse still meets height requirements

Annabellarose - You can take a horse permanent and transfer at the same time. I have done this many times before. You can also take an AMHA horse permanent even after expiring. Usually you have to pay an extra fee for the papers to be reinstated, but lucky for you AMHA will give you a coupon to PAY your late fees to Reinstate horses with Revoked papers for a limited time, which can be found on the AMHA home page.
Thank you (all)! I am still very new to the world of Miniature Horses and their registries and I was not familiar with the AMHA website (I was a little more familiar with the AMHR website) and I found the rulebook, the forms, as well as the coupon (yay!). I printed a work order and it looks like I am going to be transferring her, bringing her permanent (with coupon), and ordering a DNA kit for her. Ouch! LOL Actually, taking the pictures are what stinks and the pictures are the sole reason that I have not gotten this done sooner. I do not have decent picture taking help. I can get them spiffed up, but I am just going to have to tie them and I hated to do that, but what do you do?
default_no.gif

Hey Annabellerose, since your new to minis still, but are familiar with the AMHR website. Try looking on the members list for KY since the members are listed with cities. You might be able to find someone close to you with minis that would not only help you with pictures but also maybe a new mini friend to do things with. It sure can't hurt to try.

Well for sure Krissys registration is referring to the AMHR because thats whats on the back of them not the AMHA's...on AMHA l didn't bring a mare perm till she was 9 years old costs more but as long as she was registered temp not a problem. l would persume there's no time frame to reinstate as long as the correct fees pix and DNA if required are met..or at least l haven't seen where it stated that..

You have to DNA mares and stallions to be able to register their resulting foals! I am planning on breeding the mare in question to my new stallion next year.

The pictures do not have to be pretty, just as long as everything is visable. If possible I use pictures I am taking of the horse to advertise with etc. and have good pictures on the papers. But most of the time I do not have someone to help me, and its only the registration pictures anyway, so I go out in the paddock with the horse and snap pictures that way, or if the horse is uncooperative I tie them up and do it that way. The pictures aren't meant to be pretty, they are meant to show identification, color, markings, cowlicks in the hair, etc. not confirmation so much.

May I ask WHY do you have to DNA every mare and stallion with AMHA? Please correct me if I am wrong but AMHR does NOT do this? I am still getting used to paperwork (this is my first year sending in paperwork) so I am at a loss here. 

I am thinking I may just stay with AMHR only, the more I hear about AMHA fees, rules, terms, etc. the more it tends to steer me away simply because of the complexity and cost. The 3 that I have that are involved in AMHA will be transferred into my name but after that, I don't think I'll be going back. 

Katie,

Every breeding mare and stallion has to be DNA'ed with AMHA before the foals can be registered. This is to prevent fraud. There have been several cases where farms intentionally lied about who the parents were on foals. There are also cases where farms were so big and had so many horses together they either didn't know who was who, or didn't know which stallion sired which baby. etc. so they just picked the parents for the papers. It is an attempt to keep people honest. The DNA is on file and only checked when needed. There have been instances where a horse was bought at a sale, with the paperwork saying it was sired by a certain stallion, the new owners had it "parent qualified" which means the DNA was tested to match the parents, and come to find out that horse they bought was not related to that stallion at all. There are many circumstances and situations that this happens, its not just with AMHA horses either. There are many breeds the require DNA testing, I am personally in favor of it, it is the associations way of trying to keep accurate records and keep everyone honest. The fee is only $40 or $45 per horse, and that money although you write the check to AMHA, actually goes to the genetics company doing the DNA tests and keeping the records.

I am a HUGE supporter of DNA testing!!! All of the "big" horse breeds that I was involved with began doing "blood typing" then switched over to DNA when it became more common/less expensive. You just pull the mane hair now (is that correct for the Miniature Horse also?), I wish that they required a vet to pull the mane hair and send in the kit for you to keep people even MORE honest. I realize that the Miniature Horse is still more of a height thing than a breed thing, but I want the animal to actually be from the pedigree that is printed on its registration certificate and I don't want any surprises "in the woodpile". I am DISAPPOINTED to learn (if that's true) that AMHR does not require DNA. All but one of my Miniature Horses are AMHA (one is AMHA, AMHR, and Pinto) and she is AMHR only (and I was planning to move her next Spring). I am and probably will continue to remain a member of both A and R, but I like A more and more.

Latest posts

Back