AMHA Standard.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizzie

Reaction score
I have searched the AMHA but cannot find a Standard for the breed. Is there one? Mini types seem all over the place and vary greatly. I know what I like, but it might not be what the next person sees as ideal.

Lizzie

I have searched the AMHA but cannot find a Standard for the breed. Is there one? Mini types seem all over the place and vary greatly. I know what I like, but it might not be what the next person sees as ideal.

Lizzie
The American Miniature Horse Standard of Perfection is found on page 89 of the 2011 AMHA rulebook.

Gary

There is a standard as far as good conformation, but not a set 'type'. There are a variety of types - draft, stock horse, saddlebred, araby - but conformation flaws/faults are the same. Ex. bad bite, legs, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can refer to the AMHA website and open the link titled Free Information on Miniature Horses then scroll down the page to open Do the research. Or you can select the link off of this response. They actually have some general information about the standard of perfection.

I personally think that its all pretty subjective though.....

Last edited by a moderator:
The horse that is pictured is Black Velvet. He is widely considered one of the best producing stallions in the breed. He has MANY World and National Champion get in both halter and performance. He was also a World Grand Champion himself and has get with the same honor.

The thing I hear most about him (I've never had the pleasure to see him in person) is that how awesome he still looks even now at age 20. I'm told his neck is as slender and clean as a yearling's! Just good genes I guess.

Latest posts

Back