AMHA shows vs AMHR shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Small_Stars

Reaction score
I was wondering, what are the differences between the AMHA shows and the AMHR shows? I've heard that the AMHR shows are easier for amateurs to get started in than AMHA, but there seems to be some loyalty among people who show. Those that show AMHA usually only show AMHA. Is it better to show in one over the other? If you had AMHA/AMHR registered horses, would you consider a horse that is only AMHR registered?

The main difference is that AMHR has the option for over 34" minis. We prefer AMHA as we focus primarily on the under 34" double A/R horses. We simply show R due to that being mainly all that is offered in our area. AMHA shows are just as easy for amateurs as AMHR, really no difference there, in some ways I would even say they could be easier as amateur is split into level 1 and 2 so kind of separates the "professional amateurs" from actual amateurs. All of the people in both are super friendly and the shows are fun. Both are going to have politics and some people that might rub you the wrong way. Whichever way you choose to go you will have lots of fun so long as you go into it with the right attitude. As for if 'I' would consider an R only horse. I personally would not anymore. When I am "shopping" I require all horses I look at to be at least AMHA registered as it is much easier to hardship from AMHA into AMHR and AMHA is now closing to hardshipping. We have found too that when selling, the R only horses just dont sell as easily and most inquiries state they wish they were A also. Just my honest opinions.

Check and see what shows are offered in your area. You may not have a choice unless you want to drive several hours. I'm in PA and within 4 hours I can attend both A & R shows. I show AMHA. I like the way amateur classes are divided and other reasons. Don't believe anyone that tells you AMHA people aren't nice! That's a myth!! Whatever you decide, good luck and have fun.
default_smile.png

In this area it seems that the A shows are much smaller than R shows, so if you just want to win than A is better, but if you're looking for a lot of competition R is better.

To me the people seem about the same, there may be a few more halter trainers in A, but not that many that don't do both A and R.

I would say that your best bet is to attend whatever shows are in your area and see which ones you like best. And there are many factors to consider!! For us, we prefer the Pinto Association shows over either the A or R shows and feel that they are a great way to get started into showing. Their award structure is such that there is virtually always some new milestone to shoot for! But we also plan to attend an A/R weekend this year because of the location, the lobster dinner, and the fun we had there in the past. Show schedules also figure into our plans because we do performance, so if those classes are all at the end of the show, we don't go.

The only difference I have found here in Texas, is that the AMHA shows are more expensive. Not by much, maybe $5-10 a class. But sll the people are all wonderful and friendly, no matter what club.

We had planned to show Pinto when we first started, but once we went to a mini show, the cost of a Pinto show was just too high comparatively. I have 3 R only horses, and 3 A/R.

It really depends on your area. I'm lucky to live where there are both A and R shows (although more R than A), and all have a flat fee structure, so for me showing mini over Pinto is really economical; showing A or R really doesn't make much difference to me, same folks generally at both in this area, fees about the same. Since I have R only horses, I always show R and sometimes A.

Having said that, i don't think I'd buy another R only horse. I really am not into Shetlands, and I foresee that especially in driving, without that Shetland influence in the R's, I'm not going to be competitive (partly why I show my R only horses in Western Country Pleasure). So while I like the R only, I doubt I'd buy another one (even though I just bought one last fall - but he's really an exceptional mover).

I dont think they are 'easier' - just beware of different rules that may vary from one association to the other.

Latest posts

Back