AMHA Shows and ribbons

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eohippus

Reaction score
We had our "biggest littlest horse show" here this past weekend. I've shown in it several times before and never really thought anything of it until a number of spectators asked me about it: why does each judge give out a ribbon? Is that common with all AMHA shows or is it just the one here? I get each judge has a different opinion in placing (one may think halter horse A has a nicer head and hocks than halter horse B, however the other judge may fault halter horse A more for their weak neck and poor shoulder therefore placing B higher-or in performance one judge may see a horse act up while the other may not, etc) but in other breed shows I've always seen the scores added/combined/averaged to produce just one first, one second, one third, etc. Where at this past show its "Judge A placed this.... Judge B this... And Judge C this...". A lot of the spectators were really confused as to why there wasn't just one first, one second, etc. I didn't have a real explanation as to why we did it this way. Is there a reason? Or is it just here?

In some ways I do like it as I can see exactly where my horse stood/stands with each judge, but I could also do that by asking for the judges cards after.

You essentially went to 3 or 4 different shows in one weekend with one set of points & ribbons for each judge. It is up to show management how many judges they want to hire. Your entry fees are probably based on so much per judge. The fewer the judges, the cheaper the show, however you still have to pay the same for stalls, travel, hotel, food. Most exhibitors like to get multiple judges/awards per weekend.

If you attend the World Show there is one award which is an average from multiple judges.

It is pretty common in any show with multiple judges, and where points count, multi-judged shows are popular. As Charlotte said, it is like showing at 3 or 4 shows at once. The smaller shows don't usually have the time or the software to average the judge's placings like they do at Worlds and Nationals. I also find it interesting to see how varied the placings can be and how your show experience might be really different if only ONE of those judges counted!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love to show when there are three judges. When you go to a show you are paying for the judges opinion, and different judges have differnt opinions. Also one judge may see something another one misses and places accordingly. Also you may run into a political judge that is only placing the trainers and then have a judge at the same show placing the best horse, so it balances out. It's like going to three shows, cause you have three judges, but only paying a nominal fee.

Latest posts

Back