AMHA show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowa

Reaction score
Just watching the AMHA show online and decided to comment on a couple things. The first one is the announcer. I wish someone would tell him to not yell the names of the horses as I cannot understand him when he is so loud and drags out the names of the horses!! Does this bother anyone else.

The second thing is when the kids who win reserve or champion come up for their picture, some adult pops in to set up the horse. I don't know if its the trainer or the parent, but the kid just got done doing a terrific job all by himself out there in the show ring so couldn't the adults let him finish out the thing on his own??!! I guess this comes from when I was in 4-H and my dad was adamant about us doing all of our own fitting, showing and then getting the credit. ( this was for cattle) But even today in some of the 4-H shows you see the parent hand the lead to the child and as soon as they come out of the ring, the parent grabs the rope and takes it to the barn.

I think it would be humulating to have shown the horse like the child just did in 12 and Under Jumper and then some adult came out to place the feet!! Let him alone for goodness sake.

I disagree, I think Mark the announcer is great!! He adds excitement even after the looonnggg classes.
new_shocked.gif
Maybe the problem is in the sound of your computer, I know mines not the clearest.

As for the adult popping in maybe just insuring a great photo???

Mark is a wonderful announcer this is the first year in a while I can actually understand what is being said. I LOVE the enthusiastic way Mark announces those classes from beginning to end.

Never a complaint from me about Mark not only is he a great announcer who takes his job very seriously and is professional but he has been a wonderful family friend for many years.

As far as the pictures - center ring pics can be very hard to get and of course pretty hard to recreate outside of the arena should that picture not come out how you liked it.

Just watching the AMHA show online and decided to comment on a couple things. The first one is the announcer. I wish someone would tell him to not yell the names of the horses as I cannot understand him when he is so loud and drags out the names of the horses!! Does this bother anyone else.

The second thing is when the kids who win reserve or champion come up for their picture, some adult pops in to set up the horse. I don't know if its the trainer or the parent, but the kid just got done doing a terrific job all by himself out there in the show ring so couldn't the adults let him finish out the thing on his own??!! I guess this comes from when I was in 4-H and my dad was adamant about us doing all of our own fitting, showing and then getting the credit. ( this was for cattle) But even today in some of the 4-H shows you see the parent hand the lead to the child and as soon as they come out of the ring, the parent grabs the rope and takes it to the barn.

I think it would be humulating to have shown the horse like the child just did in 12 and Under Jumper and then some adult came out to place the feet!! Let him alone for goodness sake.

I didn't watch, but lol at the kid thing and 4-h, I was brought up that way also, it's yours, thus your responsiblity. ONly thing my dad did was the stuff I was physically not able to do, and then I still had to get in there and roll up my sleeves and trya nd learn for the next year. I spent the last two years in HS even hauling my own animals, parents only showed up to watch me show. But I did go to school with kids whose parents did it all or paid someone to do it, the kids didn't. One year a girl was in a huff literally 30 sec before we had to take our meat goats in the ring becuase she didn't know which goat was hers or where it was, she'd never set eyes on it until that last minute before she walked into the ring. *roll eyes*. lol I don't agree with parents doing that at all, it's like they are living through their kids. lol

It's probably the parents stepping in to move things along. There are a lot of classes to get through, and if it takes 2, 3 or even 5 minutes to set up a horse it only takes 10 classes to be an hour behind. If a parent can step in and get it done in a minute, I don't think that's a problem at this level.

Mark is a wonderful announcer. I think if he wasn't there for our Nationals or this year Worlds the shows would not be near as exciting.

As far as pictures in the center ring goes IMO it does get annoying. There are some of those that have to be set up perfectly and I mean perfectly even for driving classes and it takes forever. I think they should just go directly to the backdrop for their photos. By all means tho do your victory lap, but I think avoiding doing center ring photos will speed things along.

It is pretty typical for someone to set feet while the handler stands posed at all times- generally, a good shot can be taken alot quicker that way.

I've been in the arena in person at the Worlds this year and Mark is doing a fabulous job of announcing!
aktion033.gif

For a number of years many of us have complained that we could not understand the names of the horses or the people or even the numbers that were called, and we were there in person.

No more mumbling! In person it is great. Maybe it is the sound on the live feed. IDK.

When those youth win, some are so excited they are shaking and their knees are knocking. It is surprising the parents don't have to set their youth up for the photos also. LOL It is such an exciting time for them (as it should be), the parents are just helping out to keep things moving along.

I imagine the problem is the way the sound comes over your computer - I haven't had the volume up yet for World, but I know from listening to him at Nationals and in the past that the problem is not with the announcer.
default_smile.png

As to setting up for photos, if you watch on through the week it's done with adults too not just for the youth. If center ring photos are taken they need to be good, and having a helper to set feet just gets it done a little quicker.

Jan

I know it may sound little loud or over enthusiastic when listening on a computer speaker....but if you were in that ring...and Mark calls out your horses name with his enthusiastic voice...it is THE MOST EXCITING feeling and one that most people will remember for years to come. I had the pleasure of having Mark call out "Ladies and Gentlemen...your 2001 AMHA National Champion AOTE Country Pleasure Driving horse...NFC'S CANDY DANDY driven by Connie Ballard" and 9 yrs later..I still remember hearing that ring in my ears. It will always be a treasured memory for me.

It might not mean that much to some...maybe those that show and win tons...but for a very small farm like us...it was really special.

As an adult driver...I think its nice to have your header help set your horse so you can relax a second and get a nice once in a life time pic. Also, headers are required for Youth...so the person is usually a friend or parent who wants to be in the pic with the Youth.

Welp...didnt get a center ring photo this year...but as they say in showing...there is always next year....so I am planning for that picture now!!!

Mark is doing a wonderful job! This is the first year that CMHR is inside the arena and we can understand what is being said. As far as the parents helping their kids
default_aktion033.gif
. There were 2 or 3 horses that got loose and parents and I believe some of the Judges helped catch the horses.

I love watching the kids this year!

We went to the show yesterday. And I have to say I think it is very hard to understand the announcer too. I feel it isn't the announcer himself as he is doing a wonderful job. It seems like the settings aren't right. It is echoing too bad or something. Or maybe it was where I was seated. I haven't even gone online but I can only imagine what it is like on there.

As for the kids, I see both sides to this. The parents/trainers/guardians want a good picture. But sometimes a kid doing it "all by themselves" gives them such a rewarding feeling. Even if it doesn't come out perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today is the first day I have watched very much of the show but the sound and picture today on my computer are GREAT! Definitely the best year yet!

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back