AMHA Show April 29th questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Timber Buck

Reaction score
Anyone showing here before? I thought about taking Timber, but got to looking at the show sheet http://kha.8m.net/tn/2012TNAMHA.pdf and see that it is very pricey if I am right...is it $30 per class, plus $150 just to be in the show? Also, do you have to send the sire/dam papers in along with your horses registration papers when you send the show sheets and class fees by April 5th? Also, are the class explanations or videos of classes somewhere that I can watch so I know what they are expecting to see? He is 9 months old stallion and 32.5 inches (maybe less when shaved,,,not sure, so he doesn't qualify for Junior stallion right?
default_thud.gif

You either pay $30 per class or pay $150 flat fee to show in all the classes you want to show in. Your little guy would be able to show in the amateur (if you are an amateur) junior stallion class. Then depending on what he measures at the show he could show in the yearling class, if he measures 32" or less. You only need to send in your horses registration papers not the sire and dam's papers.

And yes as Laura Leopard says it is a fun show. We show at the AMHR show on Friday down there.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a great show! The people are friendly and it's a ton of fun.

I thought AMHA went to 34 inches tall. I need to find out for sure because I am about to send in my money and registration for classes. Please help ASAP!!! Also, I cannot find my AMHA card. Can I show without it if I can at least find my registration number or do you have to show the card too? I guess I am an amateur...I have never ever shown minis before...HELP!!!!!
default_giveup.gif
default_please.gif

AMHA is up to 34" as mature adults, as long as he stays under 34" at maturity he can still be AMHA registered but there are height divisions for the age groups for showing. I believe weanlings are 30" and under, yearlings are 32" and under, and 2yr olds are 33" and under. Hopefully someone will correct me if any of these are wrong, just going off memory without looking at rulebook!

As for the ammy card, I would call the show manager listed as contact for the show and ask them to be sure, I dont want to tell you the wrong thing or you can request a new card from the office too.

Last edited by a moderator:
GR020.A

Yearlings up to 32"

Two year old up to 33"

Three and above up to 34"

You do not have to be an AMHA member to show at an AMHA show.

Unless you have accepted remuneration for training, judging etc., you are an amateur. You will need an Amateur card from AMHA.

Do you have some one that has experience that can help you?

The AMHA rule book is out on the web site.

you need to get an amateur card. If you have a membership then the amateur card is $10 I believe.

You can apply for an Amateur card at the show and go ahead and show in Amateur classes. You do not have to be an AMHA member to apply for an amateur card. do take the time to read Amateur rules in the rule book. Starts on page 141 of the 2012 rule book.

Your biggest issue here is the height of your horse. He is classified as a yearling which means he must measure 32" or less so you need to get an accurate measurement before spending your money. Be sure his feet are properly trimmed and that he is measured on a level surface with an appropriate measuring stick. (Many inexpensive measuring sticks are not accurate so it might be worth taking him to the show to be measured with the official stick) You can always post enter the classes at the show. There is a slightly higher fee to do that.

After you get all of that sorted out, have FUN! You will undoubtedly meet some great people and come home with a lot of good information.

Okay thanks for the great information. I have a rule book and I finally found my membership card, but I don't have the amature card. So, I was reading on the site for the show that all the information about his registration, the classes etc has to be in by April 5th-but you are saying if I am willing to pay just a little more that I can just come to the show, have him measured and see if he can show?? That would be FANTASTIC!!!!! THen, if not, I guess I need to go ahead with the AMHR registry because he's too big for AMHA shows DANGIT! After all that hard work and money to get him in the AMHA and now this...man oh man
default_thud.gif

Yes you can come and just have him measured. Robby McCartha is a great person and he measures right on. Depending on what Kind of stick you are doing it with he might get a different measurement all the way around. Dixi is great too. She will help you out any way she can. But come on and have fun this is a great club!

Only this year. Next year he may be under 33" and the year after he may be under 34". Many horses grow rapidly in the first and second years and then stop. Then again he may very well be under 32" now. Get him measured by someone who knows how to measure.

What did you use to measure him? I have a really cheap stick and it seems to measure at least 1/2" taller than an steward will measure and sometimes more. If his feet need any trimming at all, that could easily take 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the measure. Good luck and have fun.

Even if he is over 32" now it does not mean he will outgrow his AMHA papers, some horses grow very fast and than not so much after that, others grow slowly. If you have measured him 32.50 with hair and possibly long feet he may measure in at the show. If you are willing to go and pay a little more that would be the best idea, he may be smaller than you think.

Either way, it's good that you got him AMHA registered. If he does end up over 34" as an adult, he couldn't keep his AMHA papers and you would want to get him registered with AMHR. You wouldn't be able to do that if he didn't already have A papers. I'd say it's worth bringing him and getting a good measurement on him. Do make sure his feet are well trimmed right before you come. A hoof trim can make all the difference.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back