AMHA registration question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*minis*

Reaction score
I tried the search engine on this, but didn't find anything, even though I'm sure it has been asked before ... so forgive me for asking again
default_smile.png

I'm interested to buy a mare. She was foaled in 2007 and is AMHA and AMHR registered. At the young age of three years, she has already outgrown her AMHA papers (I think she comes in at 35" right now). She is in foal to a 32" AMHA/AMHR stallion for 2010. Now, I know the foal can be registered with AMHR, but ...

Here comes the question: Will the foal be eligible for AMHA registration or not?

I know that a horse loses its AMHA papers automatically when it grows taller than 34" (at least I remember seeing a sentence about that on the back of AMHA papers), on the other hand the AMHA foal registration application states, that you must also enter the height of the parent even if it is too tall, so I'm confused what to believe.

I hope you can help and sorry again for bothering anyone with the question.

Thanks for your time.

The foal would have to be hardshipped into AMHA when she is 3 years old, IF she is 34 inches or under in height at that time.

The stallion would have to have had the mare on his breeding records in order for the papers to have the foals stallion's pedigree on it, and the mare's will not appear on the pedigree.

Hope this helps you.

Legally and ethically the foal should not be registered AMHA. That said, there are those that would register the foal and list the mare's height as something 34" or under - like 33 1/2, 33, 34, etc.

This is THE best place in the world to ask questions!!! IMO It's never a bother to ask for information.

If that is the case the owner knows the mare is over why does she not turn the papers in to AMHA?????????? And why are the people that do this not held accountable. :arg!

Isn't AMHA closing the Registry to hardshiped horses in 2013? So, is 2013 the last year you can hardship a horse or does it close January 1,2013? Does the horse need to be 3 years old or 5 years old since horses are now brought current at 3 years? Sorry, I am not helping am I? Just adding more questions.

Latest posts

Back