AMHA registration help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amysue

Reaction score
I know someone on here can tell me what would need to do in order to register this mare, since everyone is so helpful. I have a lovely mini mare registered with the AMHR. She just turned three, I sent in her temporary cert and am awaiting her permanent one. Her sire and dam were originally reg. with the AMHA, and the breeder hardshipped them into the AMHR for reasons pertaining to personal preference. They are both within the A height limits and to my knowledge are still in good standing with the AMHA. She just prefers to show horses in the R registry. I only was given paperwork to register my mare AMHR. Can I still register her AMHA? Is it too late? What additional paperwork besides the application and service certificate do I need? Do I have to have the breeder send in a late stallion report? of can I just have her DNA tested? Thank you so much in advance.

I believe (when in doubt, call the AMHA office) that IF a stallion service report was filed for the stallion and listing the mare - with AMHA...all you would need to do is file a late application for registration...BUT it would have to be in the name of the person who owned the dam of your mare at the time she was born. And since it is late, I believe you will need to hae her DNA tested & PQ'd which means both the sire & dam would have to have DNA on file with AMHA. And then you would need to do a transfer. Of course, the fee would be for a senior mare at the late fee rate.

If a stallion service report was not filed, you could ask the owner of the stallion to do so but it would cost and your mare would have to be DNA'd etc.

If no report was filed or they aren't willing to do that, the only way...I believe....would be to hardship her into AMHA.

Last edited by a moderator:
The AMHA Application Form has the Service/Breeders certificate and the transfer information on the form., You would need the form completed by the person owning the mare and signed by the mare and stallion owner at the time of service (or the separate breeders certificate form), and as Jean said, a filed stallion report for the breeding (this can be filed late if it wasn't done the year of breeding).

Since she is now 3, she will have to be DNA parent qualified, but if the sire and dam have been used to produce other registered AMHA foals, they are probably already DNA tested. If you have their names, I can check and let you know if they have been, which would save some $$ for you.

Then, since she is already 3, I believe you will have to pay the fee to also bring her permanent at the same time.

And Jean, I'm not sure, but since she's over 3, would she have to be measured in to prove she's eligible for AMHA registration?

Not sure, but AMHA office could answer all the questions for you.

Last edited:
If both sire and dam are AMHA registered and DNA tested, then all you need is an application, breeders certificate and transfer. Make sure the dam was on the stallion report for the correct year. You will need to Parent Qualify her. When you send in the paperwork, you will request a DNA kit, once you have that you will pull hair and send in the kit. When the DNA is complete and proves she is the foal out of that sire and dam, you will get her AMHA papers. She does not have to be measured to be registered. Don't forget the 4 required photos, one of each side and two showing the front and face with the forelock pulled to the side. There is a form on AMHA's website to attach the photos to and print, make sure you photo paper.

If any of the above isn't complete, ie...signed paperwork, no stallion report or DNA incomplete on sire and dam, then that has to be done as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I'm glad to hear she won't have to be measured -- saves a bunch of $$. I thought after they went over 3 years, you had to prove they were still height eligible to be registered. Good to know.

I am doing a farm right now with several that are older and not registered yet. The registration process is the same as if they were foals, just cost more and they have to be parent qualified, so it takes longer to get the papers back. The only time you have to measure to register is when you hardship a horse into AMHA. Or a Shetland into AMHR. You can also register AMHR horses at any time. As long as the paperwork is correct, its just like registering a foal but it cost more. But with AMHR you don't have to DNA the horse first. You also don't have to measure a horse to hardship into AMHR if it has AMHA papers.

I knew about the measuring when being hardshipped, but didn't know about them not having to be measured when they were older. LIke I said, good to know.

Thank you for all of the help. I usually only buy horses whose paperwork is already in place. However I drove half way down the east coast to buy this phenomenal little mare and she only had the applications signed- but I liked her too much to turn her down. I got her registered with no problems, but only with the AMHR. I do not know if a stallion report was filed with the AMHA, but is was filed with the AMHR. Can someone look up her parents with the AMHA and tell me if they were DNA tested? Sire: Six Gems Moving Target, Dam: KDS Shortstuffs dazzling lil april. If they have been tested, then I'll pursue this, but if they haven't been then I'll let it go, as It will cost yay too much money to hardship her, and I am happy enough with the AMHR papers. Thank you so much for the help. It is sincerely appreciated.

Sire has been DNA tested:

SIX GEMS MOVING TARGET A 87163 04/03/1997 S PBK DN - 33.000

AH! Mystery solved. Your mare's dam, KDS Shortstuffs Dazzling Lil April is not registered with AMHA. I went to AMHR to find her dam's parents and found her dam's sire: Sweetwaters Little Dazzle. I tracked him in AMHA then moved forward looking for Dazzling Lil April in AMHA (born in 2007) and there is no such horse registered. The last registered foal for Lil April's sire in AMHA was born in 2000. So, you girl is not eligible for registration in AMHA, unless you hardshipped her.

Sometimes horses are registered with the registries with different names, but in this case, Dazzling Lil April's sire is showing no baby born in 2007.

Sorry.

Thank you for looking that up for me. It must be a typo on my mares papers. Thank you again. Mystery solved.

Did the papers give you a number? If so, maybe I could try that, although the sire isn't showing any offspring for her dam's year of birth. But you just never know, maybe she was hardshipped in and "lost" her pedigree in the hardshipping. That happens some times.

Latest posts

Back