AMHA Register question / breeding question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
I have question? I have someone wanting to bred to one of my studs.I ususally don't bred to outside mares. When I was speaking to the mares owners about breeding. I said that I will bred to AMHA and AMHR only no unregister mares. So here is question?The mare is AMHA register but the new owners never transfer the mare into their name years ago. I notice online stubbook the mare is 5 yrs this month, so I told the new owners the mare needing to be transfer into their names and permanent register. I told the mare owner I didn't know if you can transfer a mini into your name that many years later, if so it would be high price. Can you transfer a horse into your name after all those years even if you have papers in hand? The mare owners only have one mini. The owners were thinking that they could wait to transfer into their name once they permanent register her at five yrs old. I told the mare owners I wasn't sure about that.I taught you were suppose to transfer ownership with 6 mos of the sell of the horse. I also told them I was thinking that you have 6 mos once the mini turns five to permanent register them.I told the mare that the new rule is the permanent register at 3 yrs old.I would like to help this nice folks out,because the mare is very nice mare with nice pedigree. I pray the mare can still be register.

also what is the price give or take for stud fee I know the horse and pedigree makes the different in price just ball park lowest and highest.

also is breeding to for stud fee cheaper then AI? The mare owners were questioning?

thanks for helping me out with this.

As far as I know, they can record this mare anytime now. They will have to pay a slightly higher price (see below) but they can bring her permanent at 5. It was 5 years old (permanent) until just recently, when it was lowered to 3 years old. If you can direct them to the AMHA online site, they can download the work order sheet and anything else they need. I just transferred and brought permanent a gelding that was in a similar situation. No problem. They will also need to do DNA testing if not previously done. They can call AMHA and double check if not sure.

The AMHA work order lists the following:

Owner transfer, within 6 months 15.00

OTLM Owner transfer, after 6 months 25.00

OTGM Owner transfer, Gelding 10.00

Update to Permanent Price QTY Total

TPMM Temporary to permanent, with 6 months Mare 25.00

TPMR Temporary to permanent, after 6 months Mare 50.00

TPSM Temporary to permanent, within 6 months Stallion 60.00

TPSR Temporary to permanent, after 6 months Stallion 120.00

TPGM Temporary to permanent, within 6 months Gelding 10.00

TPGR Temporary to permanent, after 6 months Gelding

Last edited by a moderator:
No they can still transfer the mare after 6 months it's just $10 more. Some people who aren't intuned to registry news may not know about the new pernament rule but AMHA is or was still allowing the 5 year rule to give members a break on sending in their pernament papers so they don't have to do everybody at once. So if the date on her papers say she must be pernament at this year or the papers will be void then they are ok. The important thing to ask them is are they members of AMHA because I believe its still the rule for AMHA you must be a member to do any paperwork. I would just tell them if they want to breed their mare to your stud that before any breeding is done her papers must be UTD no ifs ands or buts. Sorry about the AI question, I don't really understand what your asking.

I also forgot about the DNA on both the stallion and mare in order for the foal to be registered.

Last edited by a moderator:
my stud is DNA tested already he has register foals.

thank you all for helping.

AI question was I thinking in the long run AI will cost more then just paying for stud fee.

Stud fees can be anything from $50 to $5,000, depending on the stallion, his show record, and what he's produced in the past.

In today's market the prices have dropped dramatically. With the price of foals, especially colts, being dirt cheap, breeding just to have their mare foal may not be the best choice - they could shop around and find a nice horse that meets their criteria rather than taking a chance of possibly losing their mare and foal, or ending up with a foal they don't like.

Latest posts

Back