AMHA Proposals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelia

Reaction score
I just got my new Miniature horse world magazine and it shows the new proposals. I found two of them to be of great interest to me.

The first one is the new standard of perfection. It has been completly rewritten and very specific. It is a must read. I am too lazy to type it all so please read it.

The second one of great interest to me is about hardshipping. It sounds as though hardshipping may not be gone forever after all. I am very happy to see this.

I would like to see some feedback on these and see what you think the chances of these proposals passing.

Shelia, Thanks for pointing this out.

The Hardshipping one interests me very much. I hate to see hardshipping come to an end and would love for this to be passed.

Or I would even like better for it to still include horses that are totally unregistered to still be allowed to be registered if they meet the requirements.

But I'd like to see it open to AMHR horses at least like in this proposal.

I have my doubts about it passing though.

I think this is an example of one thing that would be different if members all over the country were allowed to vote on issues even if they could not be at the meeting.

JMHO

Susan O.

I have read this proposal too and I have one question:

What about AMHR registered horses in Europe?

I was told by the office that one isn't alowed to hardship any miniature outside the US.

But I believe it would benefit AMHA if hardshipping of AMHR registered horses would be allowed in Europe too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad to see they are thinking about opening Hardship back up for the AMHR horses but I do hope that they keep it so that the horses have to be inspected so they are sure they are actually under 34". I was a little surprised to find out that not only was hardshipping closing but that they were also closing hardship progeny. I didnt understand the stopping of progeny hardship when the purpose as I understood it was to close the registry to create a breed and preserve the current bloodlines so I didnt see how young offspring born already shouldnt be allowed to be progeny hardshipped when both parents are AMHA. Hope that made at least a little sense
default_laugh.png
. I am rambling a little but was just a little sad when I found out my filly wouldnt be eligible for AMHA when I was hardshipping her dam and her sire was already registered. Hopefully this new rule will pass.

Allowing hardshipping to continue is a no brainer to me. It means more horses, more promotion, bigger gene pool, more money, more exhibitors, more members, etc. DUH!

It's great to see the standard of perfection updated, though I don't think it will change what the judges pick.

Allowing hardshipping to continue is a no brainer to me. It means more horses, more promotion, bigger gene pool, more money, more exhibitors, more members, etc. DUH!

It's great to see the standard of perfection updated, though I don't think it will change what the judges pick.
I agree with Matt on both items!

I am so glad to see they may be bringing hardshipping back.

As for the standard of perfection, it seems to be what the judges are looking for now. It does seem to narrow what people will breed for. To breed AMHA horses you are expected to breed according to the standard of perfection. While it used to say they could resemble any large breed, it now says light breed. The underline of the body should be long, but not tucked up. (I did see a lot of tucked up horses at the shows this year)

In juvenile consideration, A mature adult look is not desirable. (I am glad to see this) it says muscling should be appropriate for its age.

There is just so many details in the new standard of perfection it is hard to mention all of them. It narrows down minis to a certain look. I do like the look, but I am not sure everyone will.

I have read this proposal too and I have one question:

What about AMHR registered horses in Europe?

I was told by the office that one isn't alowed to hardship any miniature outside the US.

But I believe it would benefit AMHA if hardshipping of AMHR registered horses would be allowed in Europe too.
I find that interesting. I don't understand why it would be any different.

Me too.

Neither have I found this in the ruebook.I have a really nice gelding I wanted to register with AMHA but the office todme I can't because no hardshipping is allowed outside the US.

I am very new to AMHA and I don't know to contact to ask questions about that at the membership meeting. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason that hardshipping outside of the US was shut down is that those horses are not American born and bred and the AMHA is the American Miniature Horse Association, not International Miniature Horse.

Also, inspections were just about impossible since there are no truly active board members off of the American continent that can do those inspections so that was yet another problem.

I haven't read the proposals yet, but keep in mind they were written by members, not the AMHA board or executive committee.

Yes it is. My computer was too slow for it at first but was able to go thru it. I would love to see the doors continue to stay open for AMHR but just don't see it happening and with them closing the books they need a more detailed standard of perfection.

Latest posts

Back