AMHA MEMBERS THAT WANT TO VOTE BY MAIL OR INTERNET BALLOTS.......read this

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think a forum for discussion would ever work. At the national meetings you have to sit down to listen to what others have to say. Sometimes, amazingly, that means you learn something. With a discussion forum it is to easy to get stuck in your own point of view, not comprehend what others are saying, or just plain not see it if it's not what you wanted to see.

It's not the travel TO the national meeting that is so important, it is the requirement that you have to be a part of the discussion that is so important. Having traveled to national meetings, and watched on the live 'cast I can tell you it is not the same thing. I even was on a cell phone this year to ask people questions about discussions. It is only with full participation that we can make the best decisions for everyone, even if that means going against some things that would be of personal benefit.

Edit Add: With the webcast what you don't see are the meetings, workshops, and brainstorming that are going on leading up to "the big votes". Sitting down across the table to talk about amateur programs, shows, and classes with AOTE, youth and professionals from all over the world is an eye opening experience. There is no substitute.
What about a forum with specific times set for specific topic disccussions, as if actual meetings themselves, and then the results of those infused with the National Board meetings, providing a much broader perspective overall. Those able to attend the "forum meetings" will definately provide that much broader scale of perspectiver over many topics, and can then be voiced at the national level, so long as board members, or at the very least, our Directors, will strive to meet us half way and attend "OFFICIAL online forum meetings".

Hope this helps.
default_unsure.png

Isn't that how the CMHR was established, and look how it's grown, with very cooperative members, including it's board. Couldn't we model from that, somehow?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nightflight... again the point you are making is that the general membership is to stupid to form an informed

opinion.. Am I getting this right???????? Well we are able to read or we wouldn't be here.

:DOH! You can learn a lot reading the minutes of the meetings too.. Give it a shot...

Ms Buntz I think you made my point for me. I did not say the general membership was stupid, you read something into my post that wasn't there. We probably wouldn't be having this problem if we were having a face to face discussion.

I respect your opinion to want a voice but would never support a rule change for mail in or internet ballots that didn't address

a) cost and how to offset it

b) a forum to discuss pros & cons of each rule change

c) how to assure that each vote was legit

Jody is right, those that make it a priority to attend the meetings are not going to be the ones taking MORE time out of their lives to address this. Many that attend these meeting are no more wealthy than you or I and have to prioritize to budget in attending the meetings.
sdmini, I respectfully take reserve with your statements referencing "priorities". For the MAJORITY of us "mini folks", when you get right down to the truth of the matter, our families, their well being, life's daily toils in working to provide for them, and then to also provide for our horses, well, priorities are stretched pretty thin as it is. That in no way means we do not CARE, nor desire to respectfully and rightfully participate in matters of great concern to us all. We just simply do not have the MEANS OF ABILITY to priortize beyond the realm of the luxury of having our horses in the first place. Some by financial lack of means, some by committments placed in priority due to circumstance of life itself. Should those of us who fall into either of those categories just give up and sell out, as since our lack of means FORE ability to prioritize beyond our means??? Or do we have the right to own and love our horses just as much as we do our families and their well being....and ALSO have the right as EQUALLY PAYING MEMBERS as those who do have the abilities to prioritize above us, and have our voices EQUALLY heard?

Does that make sense?
default_unsure.png
I'm rather frazzled for the day.... I do suppose I should just not voice my thoughts, as I am currently slightly predisposed in "priority" with other concerns here on the homefront for the moment.
default_wacko.png

About that.... hmmmm...
default_unsure.png

Why are you using intelligence in quotes? Who are you quoting? It's not me. I am frankly offended that just because I disagree with you that you feel the need to put nasty or sarcastic words in my mouth. I think this is further proof that you cannot have a conversation on a forum. You can't even stay on topic. I'm talking about discussion and voting, not a personal measurement agenda.

Example of "prioritizing" in a day...just as an example...
default_wub.png

I had my priorities all set to for this entire week, I made plans for getting laundry done, the daily feeding twice per day of my horses, the daily potty breaks for my dogs, was going to visit my family for dinner last night as it was my dad's birthday. Hubby made plans to work monday and tuesday so he could then be all set for a day off with our houseguest from Scotland, and spend a day in Cape Canaveral at the Kennedy Space Center, then today I was going to finish some of my costumes I've been working on for some customers, so I could get them sent out in tomorrow's mail.

We had all our priorities all set, all well planned out for the whole week, where we could work the necessary time needed to be able to afford a little time with family and friends and it not be any worse for the wear.

Well, you know the old saying.... "You've got plans? And the good Lord says Think Again...btw....HERE's MINE."

Next thing I know, all heck breaks loose all around us and all "our" plans and all we thought was well set priorities...all went right out the window...or "up in smoke" rather.
default_unsure.png

Just just one single example....one of a great magnitude of examples that is the reality of just "my" life. I'm only one person, and there are how many members of this registry? That's life though, that's how it goes sometimes. It doesn't me we DON't PRIORITIZE, or even do so half way intelligently. Those of who can, DO TRY, and things work out how "we" planned, then SUPER, but for the most part, things don't always work to our daily advantage, much as we'd definately like, LOL.

My point though, is gosh, we just can't all find the means of ability to overcome the constant rug rippers that keep our daily, weekly, or even annually committments priorititized where it's always to our personal advantage to be at any specific place in time...when if we did, then other JUST AS IMPORTANT, (if not MORESO) priorities would dearly suffer in the consequence.

Again, I hope I'm making sense, and not just rambling aimlessly.
default_unsure.png
Just hoping to share a point from personal perspective, that I honestly feel is shared by a vast majority of all of us "mini-folks" in general.

Ok...I'll hush now.
default_unsure.png
Or at least will "try".
default_wub.png

EDITED TO ADD: No, I wasn't implying that the good Lord set our world on fire out here either,
default_wacko.png
, was just trying to state an example of how things can end up, even with the best of planned priorities intended. Life just don't always work out like we "planned"....Lord knows, my family alone these past few years could be prime example of that.
default_wub.png

Ok, I'll hush now.
default_wub.png

Why is Nightflights opinion not right? Its hers to have.

Diane,

My focus from your post was on the word intelligence, your focus was on those two lines of my post. Yes, if you do attend national meetings you will learn things. That's the whole point. I as said I have learned enough to change my opinions in the past, changing my vote.

Off topic but in response to you. My first thought was a resounding no to changing the measurement place, but now I defend the change. Hair implants have been used on horses. I think it's abusive. I would vote to measure from the dock of the tail if it kept people from implanting plugs in a horse. I watched this years meeting on webcast (that's where the cell phone comment came in). One family member was chosen to go and it wasn't me this time around, the one who put in YOTE and the Senior Program for next year went to get more feedback on her ideas. Going to the meetings is a sacrifice for us too.

This is it for me this PM, have to go feed and it's getting dark.

Diane,

My focus from your post was on the word intelligence, your focus was on those two lines of my post. Yes, if you do attend national meetings you will learn things. That's the whole point. I as said I have learned enough to change my opinions in the past, changing my vote.

Off topic but in response to you. My first thought was a resounding no to changing the measurement place, but now I defend the change. Hair implants have been used on horses.
Ok, here on this forum, I just learned something new too. IMPLANTS?
default_new_shocked.gif

Ok, I am just now getting into AMHA, a brand new member as of just last summer (though I've been "in minis" for several years now), and just this past weekend, I had one of my brand new AMHA horses in her, (and my), very first AMHA show, though it was only one class, but it was a start for us. Our brand new embarking among "The AMHA".

The more I read on this forum, the more I get very concerned, just from the political perspective alone, but then to also learn more of the sad side of showing itself.
default_no.gif

Breaks my heart, I just want to enjoy my horses in way I never have, personally, in all my years of having them. My son showed years ago back when he was little, but I, myself, have never done so...in AMHA, nor AMHR. Last weekend was "her" very first time in both, and I hope to make it in the ring myself in the very near future...hoping anyways. But, with "her" first time last weekend, even though my baby girl didn't bring home any "Grands or Reserves", she was still SHINING BRIGHT in my heart for just seeing her do her little heart's best and I had the time of my life with the sheer joy of just watching her "try".

Then, the more I read of all the goings on, behind the scenes, politically and at shows...the more that joy just gets sucked right back out of me.
default_no.gif

My head is spinning...and sheesh... I've only "just begun". Is all this really even worth it, if THIS is the stuff people are pulling?

I will say this too, my girl was measured with NO IMPLANTS, (SHEESH, I can't get over that), and the AMHA class she was shown in as a 3 year old, was "Sr. Mare 28" and Under" class. SHE WAS THE ONLY ONE IN THE CLASS, all by her little lonesome. If AMHA is a registry devoted to "smaller is the goal, with conformation to boot"...where were all the other mares of her height class???

Admittedly, I was VERY intimidated to even attempt entering her into an AMHA class, as I truly thought the numbers of entries alone would be against her, and then also the better conformed. I thought, surely she would be well surpassed...and then, turns out, she was in there all alone.

Ok, I propably should have taken this to another topic thread... sorry.
default_unsure.png
I'm still kind of suprised with that too though.
default_sad.png

First of all, I just want to say that I feel it is just not fair to say that unless people sit in on a meeting to hear conversations first hand, then they are unable to keep an open mind in listening to both sides of a discussion, and then to make an intelligent decision. THIS just does NOT fly as far as I am concerned.
default_no.gif

My first thought was a resounding no to changing the measurement place, but now I defend the change. Hair implants have been used on horses. I think it's abusive. I would vote to measure from the dock of the tail if it kept people from implanting plugs in a horse.
It's this type of thing that SCREAMS it was NOT done for that reason! How can you honestly believe that this was the reason for the change?? No, I am not saying it did/does not happen...OCCASSIONALLY. How many instances of this actually occur, and in comparison to the actual numbers of thousands upon thousands of registered horses? You're darn right this is 100% unacceptable, but PUNISH those caught doing it! Don't change the 30 years worth of tradition, breed standard, rules and bylaws in the name of stopping a few bad apples. We have rules and bylaws and the abilities to use them to punish such actions, so perhaps we need to actually USE them to punish these people and to ensure it is stopped dead in it's tracks! Why make such a change that will affect thousands of people AND horses when a handful of people could be thrown out!

Oh, and Tanya, yes, you have just as much right to have your say as well. We ALL do, no matter what we believe is the right way.

ok, lets think simple. if it is a mail-in---- then print off a ballot from the internet and we mail it in with our envelope and our stamp. no cost except a webpage/document. the word 'ballot' goes on the back of the envelope and your member number, then amha recieves it and checks that number to the membership list . once verified a member in good standing, then when it is time, ballots can be opened and submitted. gotta start simple and work from there. everybody wants to make it hard to start off, that is why you all scream at each other for no reason. can't have the perfect plan/idea getting out from the starting gates, so go slow and figure something out. Because if we don't, then plan on traveling at $5 a gallon or $25 a bag on the plane to the next meeting!!

Ok I hope this is well received...........

Colleen is trying to explain to the group that it is much more involved on the inside than it looks on the outside. Imagine AMHA as a role playing game (no I'm not a nerd and and if you ever met me you would know that). There is the high school politics we all know from our past. But there are also factions, agendas, and a political hierarchy at play. Some of these people have multiple lives and many powers. Yes, the people who attend have no interest in allowing the "other" members an absentee vote. So the question is how with all of the agendas, and posturing for control do we inact a change (remember even though our rule book and bylaws say the members decide, 30 plus years of evolvement have made that a moot point)? Jodi is right and so are the other contributors to this forum that try to convince you to go to the meeting. Priorities, bah! You either have to convince the people attending to change their mind (highly unlikely) or you have to over power them.

SWA I find your signature line as follows very interesting:

* Land of the Free, because of the Brave. - AMERICA

Everyone knows that bravery did not win the fight, the willingness to put the priority to succeed at the top, even over ones own survival won the fight.

This is not meant to be directed at anyone, but I have told our 13 yr old adopted daughter many times; Fair is where you go to get Cotton candy....

The ruling faction of AMHA has the one thing that keeps them in power and I'm going to tell you their secret, listen carefully............................................

THEY ARE UNIFIED

Until all the rest of us can set our agendas aside and begin to practice bipartisanship we are just the middle class funding their ability to control.

They are also deeply rooted and have control over all of the aspects of how our association runs (to the point of complete dominance). Standing up and going to the meetings is the only way to keep our association from snuffing itself out. We do not advertise or market as a whole to any outside interests (in fact the powers that be say that advertising is not profitable) our marketing budget is forced to show a profit (yes they give marketing money but with the stipulation that they sell calenders and the like in order to deposit an amount greater than their budget in order to get funds the following year). We splt classes. this sells a few more horses but it does not bring in new members and in effect it lowers our profitability at the AMHA run shows (less numbers in a class but twice the awards). Look at our numbers, I did, the good old days are just that. Halter entries in 2006 were down 16 percent over a five year period, Performance was up the same amount, in fact our insane way of judging a shows success, "by numbers of horses attending" instead of numbers of class entries shows how they are trying to convince us that all is well (it's not a pod Tommy, it won't hurt you). I bet the whole thing flops on it's back in cardiac arrest this year...........I've been to 8 shows and each succeeding show has been poorer in attendance than the last.

You have to wonder how spun the figures have been and whether the new Exectutive committee members will get hung out to dry................

All of this rant is try to to make you concerned people understand that NOW is the time to quit complaining and make a commitment. Maybe you could come to the upcoming June meeting? I bet it would be worth the expense and effort. Come on, I've been taking a bullet for all of you fo 5 years now and I still have not given up!

Everyone knows that bravery did not win the fight, the willingness to put the priority to succeed at the top, even over ones own survival won the fight.
I'm trying to find "humor" and tell myself... "OH NO, YOU DID NOT JUST GO THERE"...

My quote, in the context intended, is based on our country and it's citizens very survival. The citizens EQUALLY HEARD, for the sake of the good overall, and it's survival againts other countries and/or terrorist NOT OF US who seek our demise. Not our own "Board of Directors", so to speak seeking to OVERTHROW our citenzen rights, and NOT HAVE US HEARD.

However, in the context of horse registry and it's membership's, I have to disagree with you, as I am finding, as I read all of this, that this "battle of survival" seems to evidently dwell between the just the two, the members (or citizens, if you will) and it's Board (it's OWN GOVERNMENT, if you will.) Not outwardly entities or terrorists...or "other horse registries". This is CLEARLY, a battle that dwells ENTIRELY WITHIN AND AMONG IT's VERY OWN.

And, as for the brave, YES, it is NOTHING SHORT of the BRAVE who GO OVER THERE and FIGHT OUR BATTLES FOR THE REST OF US. This is what I'm under the impression is "supposed" to be what our Directors are in place for. However, they seem to be among the "Unified" front of the Board, from what I'm reading here anyways. And the MAJORITY of the membership/citizenship is NOT being heard. Plain and simple. Well, I'm sure they are being heard, just IGNORED rather.

And, if our Directors in place are not fighting our battles for us, then it's time we send in a "Military", I guess. Only same as our country's military folks, they are not making the trip overseas to "attend the battle" personally, by means out of their own pockets, financially. Though in the long run, yes they are, but the actuall initial expense of traveling to get "OVER THERE TO THE BATTLE" is paid for by the rest of us...

And in that context....

If all you would would rally and unify together and PAY FOR MY PLANE TICKET to get me there, same as our military "over there", I will GLADLY attend the battle...er... National Meeting, and FIGHT FOR YOU TOO!

Will you pay my way to get me there? ALong with an ARMY of the rest of us that I'm sure we could muster among us??? Granted the expense of our trip to get us all there would be covered....

The ruling faction of AMHA has the one thing that keeps them in power and I'm going to tell you their secret, listen carefully............................................

THEY ARE UNIFIED

Until all the rest of us can set our agendas aside and begin to practice bipartisanship we are just the middle class funding their ability to control.
This also reminds me of the "CITGO" guy, who is unified WITH the terrorists in their cause to USE all of "US" and OUR OWN money to fund their (the bad guys "over there") ability to control, or rather...just KILL US and be done with it all.

I bet it would be worth the expense and effort. Come on, I've been taking a bullet for all of you fo 5 years now and I still have not given up!
Hi

I would like to Thank you for taking the bullet for me , BUT you forgot to let us know who you are ? :DOH!

I really like this forum and enjoy all the views and opinions, the ONE thing that really bugs me is when people will NOT sign their name to the post.. Maybe it was just a oversight..

We would not have to worry about Hair implants if we just measured at the Top of the Wither like all other Equine breeds , but that has been hashed and beat to death so will not bore you ..

I really think in this day and time we all need to pull together and try to get along as much as possible , there is so much arguing and fussing in the world , I really wish we did not have to have so much in our little world.. of equine, but I guess that is just a dream also.. Sorry I know this was off topic

Ok off my soapbox
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

I'm trying to find "humor" and tell myself... "OH NO, YOU DID NOT JUST GO THERE"...

My quote, in the context intended, is based on our country and it's citizens very survival. The citizens EQUALLY HEARD, for the sake of the good overall, and it's survival againts other countries and/or terrorist NOT OF US who seek our demise. Not our own "Board of Directors", so to speak seeking to OVERTHROW our citenzen rights, and NOT HAVE US HEARD.

However, in the context of horse registry and it's membership's, I have to disagree with you, as I am finding, as I read all of this, that this "battle of survival" seems to evidently dwell between the just the two, the members (or citizens, if you will) and it's Board (it's OWN GOVERNMENT, if you will.) Not outwardly entities or terrorists...or "other horse registries". This is CLEARLY, a battle that dwells ENTIRELY WITHIN AND AMONG IT's VERY OWN.

And, as for the brave, YES, it is NOTHING SHORT of the BRAVE who GO OVER THERE and FIGHT OUR BATTLES FOR THE REST OF US. This is what I'm under the impression is "supposed" to be what our Directors are in place for. However, they seem to be among the "Unified" front of the Board, from what I'm reading here anyways. And the MAJORITY of the membership/citizenship is NOT being heard. Plain and simple. Well, I'm sure they are being heard, just IGNORED rather.

And, if our Directors in place are not fighting our battles for us, then it's time we send in a "Military", I guess. Only same as our country's military folks, they are not making the trip overseas to "attend the battle" personally, by means out of their own pockets, financially. Though in the long run, yes they are, but the actuall initial expense of traveling to get "OVER THERE TO THE BATTLE" is paid for by the rest of us...

And in that context....

If all you would would rally and unify together and PAY FOR MY PLANE TICKET to get me there, same as our military "over there", I will GLADLY attend the battle...er... National Meeting, and FIGHT FOR YOU TOO!

Will you pay my way to get me there? ALong with an ARMY of the rest of us that I'm sure we could muster among us??? Granted the expense of our trip to get us all there would be covered....
This is exactly why "they" are in control.

It is so easy to "divide and conquer" when we want to argue over even the simplest of concepts.

Please accept my apologies, as I have said before, " I am not a forum person". I truly was trying to stimulate thought and not emotional responses, but I played right into your hand, so to speak!

And in that context....

This is exactly why "they" are in control.

It is so easy to "divide and conquer" when we want to argue over even the simplest of concepts.

Please accept my apologies, as I have said before, " I am not a forum person". I truly was trying to stimulate thought and not emotional responses, but I played right into your hand, so to speak!
No need to apologize, LOL. I was "multi-tasking" during my attempt to post "here" and on another thread, of equal pertinant immediate priority for myself.
default_wacko.png

Before I could finish though, I was going to post that I TOTALLY AGREE with all the rest of what you said, LOL!
default_wub.png

And ALSO, ESPECIALLY in the "above", the "DIVIDE AND CONQUER" part.....that has been a MAJOR concern of mine for our country...not just the registry. But for our WHOLE COUNTRY. Heaven knows...
default_wacko.png

I just didn't have time to get to the full extent of intent of my previous posting...as other priorities arose simultaneously, for the brief moment.
default_wacko.png

Anyways... YES, that is exactly what "they" want....to keep us all busy with small personal issues, that we are too busy to see the OVERALL PICTURE of their true agenda (Speaking in the perspective of our country's current situation, that is). To OVERPOWER US ALL! And ultimately...just KILL US and be done with us, as we are THAT bothersome for them to even want to deal with us anymore.

I can only HOPE that is NOT the full extent of the case with the registry too...but...SHEESH, it sure is leaning that way.
default_unsure.png

I just didn't have time to get to the full extent of intent of my previous posting...as other priorities arose simultaneously, for the brief moment.
default_wacko.png
Which in turn, brings me to my point of "prioritizing"....in the context of our country, we send our military to fight/stand for us, while we ourselves are able to stay here at home and tend to matters just as important here on the homefront.

How can this be held any differently to what applies among us within the registry?

Our HEARTS would most definatley WANT to be there, all of us fighting for ourselves, but it just not is feasibly possible for most of us, so we THANKFULLY have our very brave loved ones who are there for us.

EDITED TO SAY: I take that back...not FIGHTING for ourselves, but rather STANDING UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT, ourselves.

I bet it would be worth the expense and effort. Come on, I've been taking a bullet for all of you fo 5 years now and I still have not given up!
Hi

I would like to Thank you for taking the bullet for me , BUT you forgot to let us know who you are ? :DOH!

I really like this forum and enjoy all the views and opinions, the ONE thing that really bugs me is when people will NOT sign their name to the post.. Maybe it was just a oversight...
I too, would like to thank you!
default_wub.png
Please do, let us know who we owe our gratitude to?

Speaking of unsigned posts...I'm still baffled as to who "Bingo" is, LOL.
default_wink.png

I really think in this day and time we all need to pull together and try to get along as much as possible , there is so much arguing and fussing in the world , I really wish we did not have to have so much in our little world.. of equine, but I guess that is just a dream also..
AMEN! TEAMWORK, should be the common goal among the members AND it's board. I will hope and pray for that, that things can and do come to that.
default_wub.png

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

WOOHOOO Tanya! YOU GO GIRL! Now stand up and take a bow!!
default_aktion033.gif

And in that context....

Latest posts

Back