AMHA harship gelding question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
Why would I pay $500.00 to hardship a gelding into the AMHA when all breeding opportunities have been surgically removed? I'm curious because I believe Koda is just under the 34" mark.

Yep
default_yes.gif
The only use for papers on a gelding would be to attend registry shows. It would be great if hard-shipping geldings was more affordable, imo. I sure do love my geldings
default_wub.png

After gelding Koda and now he is in training for country pleasure driving, it would be nice if hardshipping him A was affordable. Maybe someday they will realize that lowering that individual price would get more people to show and therefore increase attendance at the shows. Well maybe someday!

Your right, why waste $500 on hardshipping a non breeding horse. If you wouldn't pay that for him to being with why do it now. With the quality of geldings in the ring these days in not only halter but also in performance, it would take a World quality gelding before I would pay the price. If he is already AMHR then just show him at R shows and don't worry about AMHA.

Well, I love my horses so much, I did it for the first time last year, but remember, I live to show. Well, my husband drove 13 hours one way to a directors house, got my mini measured, and after staying the night, he drove all the way back the next day. Well, in the end- it paid off. My little gelding won Reserve World Champion in Showmanship and I could have never accomplished that without him being hardshipped. But I do agree with everyone, $500 is really steep for a gelding!! I think AMHA needs to rethink that fee.........because it is 'only' a gelding.........

Especially since the only thing someone who hardships a gelding plans to do is pay some entry fees to show at AMHA shows. But whatta I know
default_wacko.png

I understand why AMHA has a steep gelding hardship fee...because there are plently of AMHA geldings (or should be geldings) to choose from. They are encouraging those that are looking for a AMHA show gelding to go to a good AMHA breeder and buy one.

Marlee --

I never thought of it that way, but it does make sense. Thanks for sharing a different perspective... I know I'm mighty proud of my "homemade" AMHA (and AMHR) gelding-to-be
default_wub.png

Jill

I understand why AMHA has a steep gelding hardship fee...because there are plently of AMHA geldings (or should be geldings) to choose from. They are encouraging those that are looking for a AMHA show gelding to go to a good AMHA breeder and buy one.
I agree. Breeders spend more than that by far to rise a registered foal to maturity, so the fee makes sense. A hardship fee is meant to be a serious issue. Would I like the fees to be lower? Of course~LOL I have several mares (and one stallion) I'd hardship
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back