AMHA Hardship

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But, they are still recognizable as QH, or Arab, or Thoroughbred (if you're a 'horse person' -- I don't expect the average 'joe' or joeline' to be able to tell the difference). They each have a distinctive 'look.' Sometimes I have a bit of a problem between the gaited breeds, but that's because I haven't studied them as well as QH, Arab or Thoroughbred... I can usually tell by the QH if they have thoroughbred in their background by their taller, leaner build...

s'funny, I was out driving one of the Minis the other day and two people merged onto the trail we were on. I noted the two horses were a little 'snorty' so I stopped so the horses could investigate the Mini and cart... The guy was riding a tall, rangy, lean liver chestnut... and the woman was riding a shorter, little bit stockier bay... We started chatting and sure enough, the chestnut gelding had race/thoroughbred lines and the bay was more of the stock horse.

I'm also starting to recognize Morgans and Welsh's at a glance...

As for Minis, I can only hope things go well with AMHA... I didn't know they were second to AQHA in membership... But that may be because you can have 6 Minis for the 'care' of one big one... ;) It's also a lot easier to breed Minis in the 'backyard' than QH... I have found far more inferior-bred Minis than QH, although QH has had their problems, especially with feet and legs. I expect the reason there is such a crap load of different joint supplements is because of the QH industry... All that wear and tear on their feet and legs as a result of western sports has made the supplement industry billionaires... There's also HYPP and the 'infamous' Impressive bloodlines... which are still being bred! Quantity has nothing to do with quality.

It's a vicious circle...

People do understand that 'Unknown' in there horses' pedigrees may only mean AMHA did not list the horses lineage only because it didn't have AMHA horses provided. They may have only been AMHR registered parents at the time... so they were not 'recognized' by AMHA? It did not necessarily mean they didn't have registered Miniature Horse parents or unknkown heritage. They just weren't AMHA registered parents.

Latest posts

Back