AMHA Hardship

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunni1900

Reaction score
So I have been hearing that the AMHA might not be closing the books. Does anyone know for sure if we can still hardship or how to find out?????

The easiest way to find out would be to call AMHA and ask.

It should be a done deal, and will be a closed registry. Unless someone sends in a proposal and after looking thru them last night it doesn't look like there is.

I wish they would keep it open till the end of next year. I would then have a chance to hardship Halo. But she is under 36 mons. so right now, I have no chance or I would of tried this year.

I will not be surprised if hardship registration is reopened again someday.

Susan O.

Perhaps be a semi-closed registry similar to AMHR but I don't see them opening it back up to unregistered stock. It would honestly be sort of a slap to the face for them and say what we currently have is not working so lets get in some new people. Basically your not trusting your own breed which is what AMHA is striving for once its closed. So I just don't see them ever opening it back up or even to allow ones currently registered with AMHR unless the registry itself is really hurting.

I am wondering if they might consider proposals to reopen it after the dwarf genes test is available, on the chance that there really is as great a percentage as has been estimated to be in the overall population of AMHA horses. I have heard anywhere from 50% to 80% possibility of minis being carriers of a recessive dwarf gene.

I would not be surprised if even some of the members who usually make it to the annual meeting might want to reopen it to horses that would test negative for being carriers of a dwarf gene.

I might be way off, but this is just a thought that occurred to me.

I am not personally against breeding a carrier to a non carrier when we can tell who is and who isn't. But for those who do not even want to breed carriers period, there is a chance that the available gene pool might be quite small after we have that test.

Susan O.

Last edited by a moderator:
Susan, closing the books had nothing to do with dwarfism, it was the desire to make the AMHA horse a breed by not allowing outside unknown horses into the registry.

Jody, I did not think it did have anything to do with their decision.

I just wondered if the results of testing once it happens might make them start to think about it and wonder if they made the right decision.

But I might be totally wrong. And it very well might not have any effect at all on their thoughts (even if I think it should
default_smile.png
)

Susan O.

AMHA is not a "they", AMHA is the membership and it is the membership who writes and votes on all rules and bylaws.

Sorry I did not phrase it quite right. Thanks for clarifying.

Susan O.

I have the same thoughts, Susan!

Is it not the people who make it to the annual meeting that vote or is that incorrect?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I always thought it was the people who make it to the meeting, who vote. I wish it was lots closer to me.

And because I do not make it to the meetings I try not to complain too loudly about things. I was just expressing my thoughts on the closing of the hardship registration and how I wonder if those who make it to the meeting might see things a little differently at some point.

Susan O.

How can they make it a 'breed' registry when they still haven't figured out what a Mini is supposed to look like?

This is what AMHA says:

"The AMHA standard suggests that if a person were to see a photograph of a miniature horse, without any size reference, it would be identical in characteristics, conformation, and proportion to a full-sized horse."

So, which 'full-sized horse' are they referring to? An Arabian, a Quarter Horse, a Thoroughbred? Which one?

1) Araby - flat croup, dishy face, short coupled body, high tail carriage

2) QH like - compact stock horse body

3) Thoroughbred like - tall, lean, long legged

Right here I've described 3 different body types of Miniatures... Which body type are they going to go with? Which body type will be eliminated? I've heard talk of 'stock horse' classes, but there seems to be a resistance to having that class... So, those who favor stock horse to Araby are sol..

I believe that as long as the Miniature has at least 'good' conformation and is under the maximum height, regardless of body type, it should be registerable...

And, why are Minis measured at the end of the mane instead of at the withers? I've never asked that question, just accepted it... but since AMHA wants to 'run with the big dogs' they may have to change their measuring system...

For those of you who can't make it to the meetings, please contact your directors and voice your opinions. I was a director for 6 years and heard from nobody. Kind of a daunting job having to guess what the people I represented wanted when they didn't tell me!

As for the standard, that is a project that is in the works, or at least was when I left my spot as director.

We discussed changing the measuring process, but the ship sailed so long ago that it would have made the historical data really confusing combined with the current, plus we would have the problem of those horses who would measure over and what would we do with them? We didn't want to change the bylaws defining the height of a miniature horse from 34 to ?? but all heck would break loose if horses measured out all of a sudden, trust me.
default_deadhorse2.gif

Let me try to answer.

There is a Standard of Perfection in the rule book. It is very detailed. I agree it tends toward the Araby type but that has nothing to do with being able to register them or their ability to perform.

Stock Horse classes were proposed and there was no resistance. There just was no big push. If you feel strongly here is an opportunity for you. However, there is a moritorium on adding new classes because of the number already. Classes are continually being evaluated. Keep in mind, it's not a class but a whole set of classes. Much like the Classic Driving classes that were added a few years ago.

Why are minis measured at the last hair of the main? AMHR does this also. That was the wisdom of the founding fathers of both registeries years ago for what ever reasons they had at the time. If they could do it over they might do it differently. Its not accurate and it is the cause of much conflict in both registries yet it is such a seminal part of both registries that changing it is impossible for many reasons. It has been debated and many plans have been proposed over the years.

"Run with the big dogs". Next to AQHA, AMHA is one of the largest registries in the US.

There are 2 meetings a year, many committees begging for participation and Board positions filled every year. Join in and help make the changes you want to see. They is US; you and me and all the other members.

This answer is my opinion so no flames please.

Thanks Jody,

I "have" written to my directors and told them how I feel about keeping the hardship registration open. I did it two years ago when I knew someone had a proposal written to that effect.

After the dwarf test is out and we have a better idea of what percentage of minis carry a recessive dwarf gene, I will have a better idea of "what" I want to write to the director again.

Susan O.

Magic Marker Minis--I don't believe any horse would ever be unregisterable because of type, so even if the standard of perfection is changed to make type more specific, horses of other types would still be able to be registered. If the breed standard described an Arabian, that may make the QH type horse less competitive in the show ring, but the QH type would still be able to have papers.

In other breeds--Morgan for instance--where there is a more specific breed type (Morgans have a woodcut that is held up as the standard) you still see various types, all of which are papered.

So, which 'full-sized horse' are they referring to? An Arabian, a Quarter Horse, a Thoroughbred? Which one?

1) Araby - flat croup, dishy face, short coupled body, high tail carriage

2) QH like - compact stock horse body

3) Thoroughbred like - tall, lean, long legged
Well, even as far as quarter horses go, there isn't one set type; there are the thicker bull-dog type quarter horses, the taller leaner thoroughbredy type, and many variations in between. I have a quarter horse gelding, he takes after his racing bred sire more than his pleasure bred dam, his Paint half-sister is built more like their dam than he is.

Latest posts

Back