AMHA hardship question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy's_mom

Reaction score
Alright everyone, with all this talk about AMHR cutting the hardship fees in half for 2012 it got me to thinking about AMHA. I have a 3 year old filly that's only AMHR registered but I would like to get her AMHA as well because dual registered always sells/shows better in some areas. My filly's sire, C Apaches What About Bobb, is also AMHA registered and my filly measures only 31.5" so she's under the 34" height limit.

My question:

Can I have my filly progeny hardshipped into AMHA as long as she's DNA'd, a late stallion report filed, and measured by a steward/judge/board member or can I just register her normally with AMHA because of her sire being AMHA with all the above done correctly?

I would appreciate any help and/or advice on this one! Thanks!

Becky M.

Is her dam AMHA registered as well? For progeny hardshipping, your horse is eligible if he/she was born with one or neither parents being AMHA registered. If the other or both are then hardshipped into AMHA after the foal is born, then the foal is eligible for progeny hardshipping. The problem with progeny hardshipping is that you if you bought your horse from someone else then you need to find who owned the sire and who owned the dam at the time of breeding and foaling and then you need them to sign a stallion report, registration, and transfers. If there have been multiple transfers between you and the owner at the time of foaling, you are supposed to get signed transfers for all of those between you and pay for them as well. You have to have the horse DNA'd twice (once by the person who measures your horse and once by yourself) too. It can be a really big pain the butt. It took me 2 years to get my stallion progeny hardshipped...AMHA was not easy to deal with either and twice sent back one paper saying I needed something else with it and then sent the something else the next day saying I needed that first paper when I had sent them both together originally. Strange and time consuming. It can definitely be worth it though if you're willing to put the time and money into it!

Thanks ohmt for the info. I guess I will need to do some more digging to see if her dam was registered AMHA as well. I know when I had a pedigree lookup done a while back on my filly, the sire was the only one found that was registered AMHA at the time. I may have to start saving up some money to be able to do a progeny hardship on my filly.

Anyone else done anything similar - what all did you have to do?

Thanks!

Becky M.

You're welcome Becky! Hopefully the dam is AMHA as well so you can do the progeny hardship, otherwise you'll have to do a regular hardship. Both are expensive, but the latter can buy you a show quality horse these days so hard to justify doing it sometimes.

If her dam is AMHA registered, the papers would have to be up to date- in other words, she is still legally registered with AMHA with valid papers.

I had a mare hardshipped in, the office was wonderful to deal with and helped me with all my questions and mine was done at the last minute (had to find an official to measure).

If your horse's dam is not AMHA, you will have to hardship the normal hardshipping way- having her inspected, measured, DNA, etc... and the giant fee. Any foals born prior to her being hardshipped have to be registered as hardshipped offspring with another big fee.

Would be wonderful if AMHA would cut their prices being they are closing hard shipping in 2013

That would be nice
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back