AMHA Hardship Closing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AMHA wants to be a 'real breed' whereas AMHR is still a height breed. That is why only AMHA will be impacted by the AQHA ruling.

While I posed the question at you Amanda it was simply because you had posed the question at Charlotte. When I read what I wrote it looks like it has a "tone" to it but it was not written with one. With the rise of popularity of the "B" horse common sense says that there will be more over 38" AMHR horses. While AMHR/ASPC does have the division (I forget what it's called) where an over 38" AMHR horse could have papers there is no actual provision for those horses in AMHR. I'm not lobbing that there should be just pointing out that both miniature registries have a cut off height.

While I do think AMHA would lose if a lawsuit was levied against them it would not be a cheap undertaking. Cutters and Reiners that can afford to do Embryo transfers on some of the best blood in the nation have a few dollars behind them. AMHR is closed to outside horses (just like AQHA) with the exception of certain breeds meeting a narrow criteria (just like AQHA). I don't know if a judge would differentiate between a "breed" or "height" association.

Both are good registries, chose which one suits you best or do what I do and choose both. The closing of the registry was not done by some back room dealing but rather written by members, supported by members and ultimately voted in by members. Would I have voted to close it? No, but it is and I have made my peace with it. There is nothing saying that members can not get together and vote it open again....but just like closing the registry didn't happen the first time it was proposed those for reopening it will have to put some time, effort and money into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I posed the question at you Amanda it was simply because you had posed the question at Charlotte. When I read what I wrote it looks like it has a "tone" to it but it was not written with one. With the rise of popularity of the "B" horse common sense says that there will be more over 38" AMHR horses. While AMHR/ASPC does have the division (I forget what it's called) where an over 38" AMHR horse could have papers there is no actual provision for those horses in AMHR. I'm not lobbing that there should be just pointing out that both miniature registries have a cut off height.
Aw Marlee, I didn't read it that way
default_smile.png
Really, all I originally said was that I would use a taller miniature horse to breed for a smaller height if it had the qualities I wanted, but was told those taller minis were not minis. So, just making my point about why I said I'd use those 34"-38" horses to get my perfect 34" and under. Yes, AMHR has a cut off point, but there is no registry above it to accept those over sized horses like AMHR is there for AMHA. To me, a miniature is any horse 38" and under. I don't think I'm explaining it very well, but just started classes again so having some long days!

In truth it wouldn't affect AMHR because AMHR horses don't get their papers taken away if they measure over. People may turn in papers On their oversize horses, but measuring over at a show does not result in the papers being pulled. (Read the rules--they say only that the BOD will review the papers) If the papers aren't taken away--no grounds for a lawsuit, it is as simple as that.

...People are registering with the R, because they would like to do something with the horse they have that has gone oversized. It has less to do with what people think is a proper miniature and more about it being a darn waste of fine horse flesh for papers to be revoked and the horse banished because after all what is a half inch here or there between friends.

'R' made provisions for all the horses that shot over the mark. Paddocks across the planet would be full of horses that are beautiful but useless if not for the taller category provided by 'R' registry. Most stud books don't get so hot about height because sometimes sh!t happens and a horse here or there will throw back and scare the heck out of everyone but because height is all we have to argue about - that is the sticking point.

In Australia all our registries accept up to 38" but there are two distinctly different classes following the lead of the US.

What you have are two different registries with two different ideas on mini's A say 34 R says 38. So R has a category B, or in Australia it is termed the Small Horse (and bigger yet Llittle Horse) categories that's all good - we don't call over 34" a miniature horse we call them small horses (over 34 - 38") Little horse (which is new and to our own equivalent 'R' registiry allows a blow out again at not exceeding 42".

Hi everyone BTW
default_saludando.gif

Out of the rule book:

No horse, regardless of parentage, who measures over 38 inches shall be allowed to become an AMHR registered miniature horse.

From the Show division in the book:

If a miniature horse is measured and found to be over 38” the Steward shall not allow the horse to show and shall notify AMHR of such findings and the papers of said horse in question shall be reviewed by the Board of Directors of the ASPC/AMHR/ASPR and action taken.

I will be glad when it closes, so that I can stop thinking about it. Back and forth I go. Should I put some of these guys that have stayed under 34 in? Today it is no, yesterday yes.

I think that when the ASPC decided on allowing there to be a B category for the 34 -38 inch horse, they were just creating a place for those horses to go, if they got a bit taller. I don't think they did it for a second registry for the Shetlands or foresaw that there would be so many people that would want that size horse and breed specifically for that size horse. They just did it because they were nice guys, there was a demand and they saw a little cash coming in.

However, there were a few of us, and I am one of them, that saw that opening as a way to start something new. I didn't want to raise any other breeds, and I didn't like the look of the tiny ones. I wanted to help create a little 36 inch horse using any other breed characteristics I wanted. It was wide open then. Can you imagine, a chance to create a new horse using a promised stud book? And they came through, we got it, our most precious possession The AMHR Stud Book.

I feel that The Straight AMHR Registered B horse will be the one to watch as we are still in the process of creating this little horse.

There are so many wonderful things about AMHA. They are are great to work with and the parent qualifying and DNA is so established and lends so much credibilty to the papers. But, I love a taller horse and I don't need two Stud Books. I think today that I sent my last reg. app. in yesterday, maybe.

ASPC Shetlands do not lose their papers if the horse goes over 46". They simply just don't measure in to show that day. They retain full breeding rights. Apparently the Shetland breed hasn't all ended up going overheight, somehow everyone has managed. Perhaps it could be the same thing with AMHA.

Marlee--there is nothing that says the 'action taken' will be pulling the papers. There was a case last year--the BOD reviewed it and the horse did not lose his papers. That rather sets a precedent I think. I believe that lefal ramifications were a consideration when they were making a decision on what to do about the matter.

Latest posts

Back