AMHA -cards for open

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandee

Reaction score
Anyone get the message that if you show at Championship or World (AMHA) that you're gonna need a special card to even show open!! I know Amatuer is 5 or 10 but this open card is $25!

Holy Cow, are they attempting to catch up with Pinto. Pinto squeezes every nickel out of every person they can.

Ok, now I've insulted 2 organizations (I could have included our government) but that's the way I see it!
default_10_2_12.gif

default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
Wow !! With the shows struggling to make it these days I find it a little hard to understand making people pay to show at the World show on Top of their Membership , on top of the entry fees etc etc..
default_doh.gif

Guess I was sleeping when this passed..

The way I read it was you had to have one of those to show in open, so amt, youth or an open card. If you are trainer looks like you are spending 25 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was to end the inequity of Amateur and Youth members paying for a card and trainers pay nothing for cards.

I don't get it, why do you think that only Youth and Ammys should pay for cards?

As Jody pointed out this fee was instituted to end an inequity between Youth and Ammy having to pay a fee and the Open trainers/handlers NOT having to pay one up till this point - seems to make sense -- the trainers actually have income for their efforts, while the Youth and Ammy do not and yet THEY were the ones paying the fees. It is kind of like needing to wear certain types of clothes to work - goes along with the cost of doing business IMO -- Flame away, but I suspect that it won't really bring in all that much in the long run (there really aren't that many trainers), but it WILL go a long way towards showing the Ammy & Youth that the AMHA is truly looking out for THEM and not just the trainers.

Can one still show Open and Amateur? So I would have to pay for 2 cards?

I didn't think that yes the trainers would be paying this, which makes it fair. Sorry, just a PO moment!!

I don't get it, why do you think that only Youth and Ammys should pay for cards?
OK, so I just checked to be sure Ammy card $10, Youth card ? does it come with their membership $10. Now since I show open and ammy I have to pay $35 and the youth that want to show open have to pay extra too! So it's still unfair no matter how you slice it! They are already charging for office fees (understandable), and stall fees ( necessity), and class fees (judges cost!). So now we get to pay MORE just for the ?Privilege of showing!! I think I already pay a generous amount to just BELONG to AMHA.

All it is stating is you much carry a membership card to show at the Championship or World show, period. It can be Amateur, Open or youth. Doesn't matter. What it is doing is making sure everyone exhibiting a horse at the top shows is a member of AMHA, not just the owners.

I was there at the BOD meeting when this came up and I will say one of the BOD's, who is a trainer, thought this was a great idea and supported it 110%, if that is all it costs is $25 for him to 'make' his living, that is very fair. No one ever said you had to get an ammy card and an open card. Just one card is needed.

All it is stating is you much carry a membership card to show at the Championship or World show, period. It can be Amateur, Open or youth. Doesn't matter. What it is doing is making sure everyone exhibiting a horse at the top shows is a member of AMHA, not just the owners.
I believe this is in addition to your membership card. I am a member and have a membership card but in order to show at the Championship or World show, I will have to purchase an 'open' card.

I stand corrected, but do you have to have a membership to get an open card? Or can you just get an open card and show open?

I was there at the BOD meeting when this came up and I will say one of the BOD's, who is a trainer, thought this was a great idea and supported it 110%, if that is all it costs is $25 for him to 'make' his living, that is very fair. No one ever said you had to get an ammy card and an open card. Just one card is needed.
I don't know about you but I enjoy showing in both ammy (which I am qualified to do) and open (which I enjoy) so I get to pay EXTRA because I like to show MORE!!!! Now there's a good idea so the organization can make more money.

Sure, it may be a "good deal" for those that make money like the trainers but what roasts me is that this organization is really supported on the backs of little people like me that pay and pay etc. We pay the membership, we pay all the fees to show and now we can pay some more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sandee as I understand it, you will only need your amateur card. It states you must have an amateur, youth OR open card to show at World or Championships. Dunno, I can see the reasoning behind it but still smacks of yet another nickel & dime charge... It will ultimately be passed on to owners/amateurs anyway who have horses in training.

Jan

Oh I see, so if I have an amateur card, I can still show in the open classes. Now it makes more sense as only those only showing in open classes would have to pay it. Right?

Barb

That is correct, you only need ONE of the three cards to be able to show. Youth can show youth and open, Amateurs can show Ammy and open on the ONE card.

Trainers only need to have the open card if they show at a championship show or worlds. I personally feel that doesn't quite end the inequity since youth and ammys have to have cards for any AMHA show, but it is a step in the right direction.

PS, thanks for expanding on my comments Stac!
default_saludando.gif

I hate being wrong but in this case I am WRONG!
default_footinmouth.gif
Appologies to all as I got this reply from the office today:

"If you have an Amateur card then you would not need and Open Card. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jamisen Robinson

AMHA Membership Services"

Latest posts

Back