AMHA B HORSE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of makes one wonder why our beloved AMHR has to be used so poorly by both AMHA and the Shetlands. What is it that makes them all want to be part of it? Heck it is ONLY R. Wait, maybe it is all the good honest people. I like to think that there are more of them than the other. Hope so anyway.

It seems like AMHA "people" and AMHR "people" are from separate worlds. I know horses measuring over is an issue in AMHR, but it seems like such a bigger issue in AMHA.

After seeing some extreme drama on FB in the AMHA world tonight, I don't think I would EVER want to be a part of that "scene". People who are largely involved with the registry not handling themselves in a professional way, all over the internet for everyone to see? I seriously shook my head and wondered "what is wrong with this person". Ill stay with my AMHR and AMHR/ASPC horses.... Ive never met a rude person as far as sellers, buyers, trainers, or judges in AMHR, and if anything, it seems like the pony world is even friendlier and more "family" focused.

As far as im concerned? All of my horses can measure over 34", because AMHA papers are worthless to me, I have no intentions of showing there.

Kind of makes one wonder why our beloved AMHR has to be used so poorly by both AMHA and the Shetlands. What is it that makes them all want to be part of it? Heck it is ONLY R. Wait, maybe it is all the good honest people. I like to think that there are more of them than the other. Hope so anyway.
How is AMHR so poorly used "by the Shetlands" (or even by AMHA for that matter?) The Shetlands have always been a part of AMHR....or perhaps it woud be more accurate to say that AMHR has always been a part of the Shetlands. The two are rather intertwined and have been since the beginning of AMHR, as much as some don't like to admit it.

I don't think AMHA uses AMHR poorly....yes, it has seemed that AMHA tends to use AMHR as a "dumping ground" for their horses that go over 34" but is that a bad thing for AMHR? AMHR gets good money to take those horses in.

Honest people....I seriously doubt that AMHR has any higher percentage of honest people than any other organization, ASPC and AMHA included. And I know there are dishonest ones in AMHR as well!
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just commenting on the two instances that were posted by James and expony. This is what I picked up from them.

Some AMHA exhibitors use us to promote their AMHA B horses and keep short papers.

Some ASPC exhibtors use us to promote their short Shetlands.

But, I realize that they-(ASPC exhibitors) don't really have another place to show them(short Shetlands). Their main show does not even want them. You would think that they would be crawling all over the place to get them to come to Congress and make lots of classes for them, but heck dump them over and use AMHR.)

I have to say that I feel really out of the loop while reading this thread. This thread has left me scratching my head at multiple statements.

Their main show does not even want them. You would think that they would be crawling all over the place to get them to come to Congress and make lots of classes for them, but heck dump them over and use AMHR.)
We've been trying Renee! We added Senior classes at Congress in the Classic Division last year for 38" and under ponies.

It seems like AMHA "people" and AMHR "people" are from separate worlds. I know horses measuring over is an issue in AMHR, but it seems like such a bigger issue in AMHA.

After seeing some extreme drama on FB in the AMHA world tonight, I don't think I would EVER want to be a part of that "scene". People who are largely involved with the registry not handling themselves in a professional way, all over the internet for everyone to see? I seriously shook my head and wondered "what is wrong with this person". Ill stay with my AMHR and AMHR/ASPC horses.... Ive never met a rude person as far as sellers, buyers, trainers, or judges in AMHR, and if anything, it seems like the pony world is even friendlier and more "family" focused.

As far as im concerned? All of my horses can measure over 34", because AMHA papers are worthless to me, I have no intentions of showing there.
As an owner of BOTH AMHA and AMHR and ASPC horses, I don't think I'm from different worlds. Of course I may be . . .
default_biggrin.png

There are rude people everywhere. There are friendly, fantastic, helpful everywhere. If the drama about AMHA is in regards to a single individual doing the bashing, it's freedom of speech, and OK maybe not the best place to do it, but that's facebook for ya. It's easy to let lose on a keyboard without recognizing that the world is watching and remembering.

Are there AMHA horse that are over 34"? Yes. Are there AMHR horses over 38? Yes. Until there is a ruling (and I am NOT recommending it) that EVERY horse is examined at maturity by a team of 10 people from 10 different states then there are going to be horses that go over in breeding herds. I personally have a beautiful National champion/National Top Ten gelding that on paper is out of two 34" horses. Hmmm, he's 36, but I certainly don't mind.

It's stated that AMHR has ALWAYS been part of ASPC. Not entirely true. The little ponies were there, but the registry wasn't. And not all minis are Shetlands, nor are all Shetlands Minis. Just ain't so.

I don't understand the comment "no place to show the little ponies" Since I've never shown ASPC I can't comment, but as ASPC doesn't have a "minimum" size, then how is there is no place to show them? If the answer is "they can't beat the bigger ponies", then the same can be true for the miniature show ring.

I like both AMHA and AMHR. I have had good luck in showing in both registries. I have nothing but respect for the ladies in the office and the work they do.

Go Miniature Horses!!!

This is pretty extreme to me. It is not fair at all to judge all members of an association by the way a few people acted on Facebook.
default_no.gif

I'm sorry,,,, I NEVER post on these threads... but....Are you kidding me? It was ONE person. ONE. That person does NOT represent AMHA or any member.. in ANY way.

and NO, I am not defending AMHA.... I am defending ME and my AMHA registered animals,, which BTW are ALL also registered AMHR. Both living in the SAME world...

and HAPPILY showing in BOTH registries.

Not that this has ANYTHING what so ever to do with the OP.

I have to say that I feel really out of the loop while reading this thread. This thread has left me scratching my head at multiple statements.
This whole topic doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.

And to say that AMHR is the dumping ground by both AMHA and ASPC is a lil bit too much IMO. If that was the case why would people even bother spend their money on memberships, registrations, and take them out and show and promote them as a AMHR horse. I think its nice that AMHR welcomes those that are disowned by their own registeries, and I'm not talking about ASPC. Also nothing is stopping the AMHR/ASPC ponies go and show at Congress, some do quite well. I think if they do add a 38" and under division it would help the show grow if people actually attend. Its the breeders decision how small or large they want their horses to be, if people choose to be dishonest then they have to live with that but I think its important to bring its attention to the registeries and not purchase any minis from those breeders.

I think I know what you are referring to and that person is not exclusively AMHA. If it's who I think it is, they are a professional that has worked with AMHA, AMHR, and ASPC horses and still does.

I do truely apologize, Re reading what I posted, I didn't come off the way that I wanted to, and I am sorry. To me, AMHA has always seemed like the more upscale elite organization, top dollar horses, while AMHR/ASPC was the association with more amateurs, and youths showing, and the average horse owner could afford a horse that could be pretty competitive at the breed shows. Im honestly not super involved in AMHA, so I guess I stuck my foot in my mouth. I do apologize that I generalized after seeing a "top dog" AMHA person making remarks insinuating that they made the association what it is, or that they could say what they want to/about people because of where their reputation in the AMHA world. Again, not saying anything bad about the amha world, but to me, it seems like the registrys are kind of from different worlds. Not in regards to one having people who are better than the other, but in regards to the type of horses shown at their shows, and the fact that not a lot of people show both AMHA and AMHR. Atleast in my area, there are those that show AMHA, and those that show AMHR, no one in my area shows both. Thats what I mean by different worlds.

I didnt mean to offend anyone, and I DO own an AMHA/AMHR horse, along with AMHR horses, and a AMHR/ASPC horse. Im not a "pony person". Im not against the registry, I just prefer B horses, and the more relaxed atmosphere I have seen at the AMHR shows. I guess I just meant that I wouldnt stoop to the level that some people do to get horses to measure into a registry they aren't qualified for, or lie just to retain papers to the more "prestigious" registry. My AMHR papers to me are more "prestigeous" to me because thats where I prefer showing, as I have just always felt its a more relaxed environment. I feel that more people do fib about heights with AMHA horses, simply because there is no division for B sized horses in AMHA.

I probably worded this all wrong again, but I promise, I didnt intend to insult anyone.

No, you did great mydaddysjag. I understood what you meant the first time around, even if it wasn't worded well.

Congress HAS offered "under 38 inch" classes but people prefer to show that size at AMHR Nationals.

I think some of the problem with the 38" & under class at Congress was that a good many of the ponies just didn't fit. People had initially wanted it to be 39" & under and if it had been there probably would have been more entries. Remember--when showing at Congress the ponies get measured at the top of the withers. That being the case, even many that measure in for AMHR Nationals at 38" or just under at the last mane hair do NOT measure in at 38" when measured to the top of the wither. Many of them may fit in at 39", but not 38".

As for Mary Lou's post about complaints about pony people being too opinionated on this Mini board...I do have to wonder if anyone considers me a pony person? I admit to being opinionated, and I do have ponies...but I have to point out, just in case, that I still have almost three times as many Minis as I do ponies. I think that makes me as much a Mini person as anyone else on here. I will also point out that there is nothing I have posted on here, ever, in defense of ponies that I wouldn't have posted even if I didn't have any ponies. I could see the pony point of view even when I had only Minis and I would find the Shetland-bashing by some to be offensive even if I didn't own a single pony. Seriously--does one have to be a visible minority to be offended by racist comments against that visible minority group?? Certainly not.

I'm just going to shoot my own two cents in here.

There is NO reason why Shetland pony folks cannot be a part in this discussion and they should be be heard as well. This is a discussion that deals with the ASPC and AMHR. Quite a few of these folks have raised, trained, or bred minis.

I find it VERY absurd that people are emailing Mary Lou about these people. They have a place in this forum and this discussion. If you don't like what they have to say then move on or don't read their posts. Its as simple as that.

EDIT: This may not be my fight but I HATE it when people are silenced.

If you don't like what they have to say then move on or don't read their posts. Its as simple as that.

I have no idea who emailed ML or what anyone said, but I think it's important to remember that we enjoy this board for FREE. For us, it's a place to come for education, opinions, advice and our fix of the new foals. For ML, this is a business and she must run it as such. If this forum, not the pony one, is for mini owners/lovers/enthusiasts and they are being offended to feeling like they need "move on" as you put it, well that's not good for ML's business. I have no stats to back this up, but just a cursury look at the ads at the top of this forum looks a lot like "mini" money to me. ML has provided, yet another FREE place, for pony discussions.

Please note: This is my opinion only and a guess. I have no idea how ML actually percieves this.

In no way did I mean to bash AMHA or AMHR, nor anybody inpaticular. I was only comenting about a few mini breeders that have purchased Shetlands and used them in their breeding programs without hardshipping and the one that have bought the Shetlands, havn't hardshipped them and are showing them as minis under different names & parentages. This is no means a bash at either AMHA or AMHR registries or at the AMHA/AMHR breeders as a whole. We started showing and breeding minis and would still be doing so if we hadn't lost our stallion and sold a good share of our mares. And I had no idea that someone is on Facebook bashing AMHA, AMHR or ASPC untill reading it on here. If I offended anybody by my post, that was not my intent. If I was meaning to offend someone, I don't beat around the bush, I will state it openly.

I'm not really involved in showing, and do not breed, so have no strong opinions on the registries. I pay my dues to both, as that is my way of helping to support miniature horses.

I have to say the 35" horses are my favorites!! They are small enough for me to handle and big enough to move out and have some fun in harness.

I have participated in both AMHA and AMHR shows and had wonderful experiences in both!

I have heard snobbish AMHA folk and snobbish AMHR folk over the years, which was somewhat bewildering at first. But it's natural to champion one's favorites when one is passionate and competitive, and those of us who are not soon learn to "consider the source".
default_smile.png

I don't know if there is an article out there as to how to get started, but for me, I chose the taller minis, mostly B-size, as I'm nearly 6' tall, and really didn't want to bend over far enough to reach the really little guys. My first was A/R registered and supposed to mature 33" or so, he's 36" tall. And, I have a few others that have matured taller than their parents; much be something in the water here, as the only ones that haven't grown significantly after moving here are the three that I bought already mature.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_wink.png
I now have 12 minis; the first 6 or so that I purchased all matured well into B-size (35-38"), then along came a tiny 31" stallion that stole my heart and I now have 3 minis under 34" (his daughter out of one of my B mares, and a new mare I bought because of him). While I still prefer the taller minis, I do love the little guys. Because of my preference for the taller minis, and my tight budget, I have pretty much all AMHR registered horses (only 2 double registered, as the others outgrew their A papers) and only keep up with AMHR (was an AMHA member til my pocketbook got to tight).

Latest posts

Back