AMHA Annual Meeting in Orlando Florida

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie/Azariah

Reaction score
The American Miniature Horse Association Annual Meeting is being held in Orlando Florida February 16-19.

This is where your voice can be heard and YOU can make a difference.

At this meeting you have the opportunity to hear, discuss and VOTE for very important matters that affect all AMHA members.

Go to the AMHA website for hotel details and for registration information.

What a great spot to hold a meeting in the middle of winter, Sunny WARM Florida.

There are many local attractions if you want to take a day or two extra to enjoy the area.

I just got a VERY reasonable flight (booked today) and the hotel is also reasonable... and shared with friends it is even more affordable and FUN!

The Annual Awards Banquet is Friday Evening.

Come and support YOUR registry.

I was really hoping to come but my money had to go to a down payment on my Sister-In-Law's funeral. Obviously a higher priority.

Have fun and give Jim a big hug for me, I miss being on the BOD with him. Tell him his honey says hi.
default_yes.gif

Tommy and I will be there Julie! Will attend to pick up Catch's high point awards and to add our two cents on the issues. See ya there!

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

I'll be there also Julie to receive my stallion's Honor Roll Award and also add my two cents at the meetings

John

Sure wish Bill and I could come. It would have been so cool to pick up our Honor Roll Champion buckles in person
default_aktion033.gif
Oh well maybe someday
default_yes.gif

Have fun Julie!
default_saludando.gif

{{hugs}}

Joy

Lauren and I will be there and delivering a couple of mares to be bred.

Ruth and I are looking forward to the meeting, especially since it is only about an hour or so from our farm. And as usual, I will probably have something to say. LOL

I'm quite on the opposite side of the country and it's too much of a hardship for me to travel. I'd love to come if I could!
default_yes.gif
I know a lot of people who would love to go, actually.

That said, when will you allow every voice to be heard that wants to be heard, instead of only the voices of those who can afford to travel to one location in the entire country?

It's kind of a shame, and I don't know if it's taboo for me to talk about it here, so I apologize if this is somehow wrong for me to point out what very many of us have thought.
default_unsure.png
But, imagine if we wanted to vote for the president of the USA, and in order to do so, we had to travel to Alaska to do it. Not many people would be able to vote since it excludes those who must make their money stretch. So now you have a skewed demographic voting and making decisions, which I can't say is good or bad.
default_wacko.png
However, the skewed demographic is not an equal representation of the population (or in this case, the membership), and would be enough to offset the interests of the whole. To me there is something innately wrong with that methodology.

I guess I can always propose my own rule change, but I believe this has been brought up before?

Brenda,

I agree with you one hundred percent. It is a shame that such a small percentage of the membership is able to dictate its direction. With today's technology we should be able to make the voting issues available to all of the members that desire to have a voice. With that being said, I would encourage all that can possibly attend to do so. It is always interesting to observe the inner workings of the registry, and I wish that all members could participate in that.

Gary

We are looking forward to the Convention! As for those who can't make it, I hope you make sure your directors know your concerns. As a Director of Region 3, I've asked people about their opinions concernng voting issues. I'm actually carrying a letter from from a farm in my region concerning their opinions on closing the regisrty.

I am another person that thinks that voting on many issues should be open to all even those not attending the meeting.I have been to many AMHA meetings in the past and the subject often comes up.IMO it does not look good as passing.The decision will be made by those in attendance and in the past the feeling was that if you cared enough about the issue you should be there to voice your opinion.(Never mind that some people could not get time away from jobs or home or even afford the travel expenses to get there)I was also told by 1 party that those who were not there could not make a well enough informed decision to vote.Sounded kinda odd to me.

I am another person that thinks that voting on many issues should be open to all even those not attending the meeting.I have been to many AMHA meetings in the past and the subject often comes up.IMO it does not look good as passing.The decision will be made by those in attendance and in the past the feeling was that if you cared enough about the issue you should be there to voice your opinion.(Never mind that some people could not get time away from jobs or home or even afford the travel expenses to get there)I was also told by 1 party that those who were not there could not make a well enough informed decision to vote.Sounded kinda odd to me.
Yeah, that sounds really odd! Actually, sounds offensive to me since I have never been able to go but I am a very educated and informed person also
default_smile.png
So their comment is very untrue! I have researched the recent rule changes to be voted on and REALLY WANT to have my voice heard. So, in essence, is the only way I can make it heard by influencing the opinions of those attending? Where can I start to do that without knowing a list of people who are going? I feel like these people end up being the self-elected congress of AMHA (haha) and there is no way to let them be aware of what everyone wants to see change. I would definitely make it a point to target those people who are going, but since I can't, may I write a thesis to be read at the meeting and include a PowerPoint presentation to illustrate my EDUCATED AND RESEARCHED points???
default_smile.png
You know I will... I have a WHOLE Sunday waiting for this ;)

Yeah, that sounds really odd! Actually, sounds offensive to me since I have never been able to go but I am a very educated and informed person also
default_smile.png
So their comment is very untrue! I have researched the recent rule changes to be voted on and REALLY WANT to have my voice heard. So, in essence, is the only way I can make it heard by influencing the opinions of those attending? Where can I start to do that without knowing a list of people who are going? I feel like these people end up being the self-elected congress of AMHA (haha) and there is no way to let them be aware of what everyone wants to see change. I would definitely make it a point to target those people who are going, but since I can't, may I write a thesis to be read at the meeting and include a PowerPoint presentation to illustrate my EDUCATED AND RESEARCHED points???
default_smile.png
You know I will... I have a WHOLE Sunday waiting for this ;)
Brenda,

Why don't you let your area directors know your position on the issues of importance to you? They should be willing to bring those points forward. If not, just let me know and I will be more then happy to make your thoughts known.

Gary Owen

AMHA Director

Region 4

One thing I personally have experienced is I would go to those meetings dead set on an opinion of an issue, sit in on discussions with others and after listening to them, make a complete change of mind.

So, this makes me stupid?

No.

Something I experienced in the six years that I was on the AMHA BOD was that I never heard from ANY members in my region expressing their opinions on issues. If I had, I would have shared their concerns at the meetings. Since I didn't, I had to vote based on what I thought the majority of the members I represented would want, and sometimes that meant voting against something that I as an individual would have voted for.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I personally have experienced is I would go to those meetings dead set on an opinion of an issue, sit in on discussions with others and after listening to them, make a complete change of mind.

So, this makes me stupid?

No.

Something I experienced in the six years that I was on the AMHA BOD was that I never heard from ANY members in my region expressing their opinions on issues. If I had, I would have shared their concerns at the meetings. Since I didn't, I had to vote based on what I thought the majority of the members I represented would want, and sometimes that meant voting against something that I as an individual would have voted for.
I don't think I was meaning to imply anyone being stupid - just the idea if you couldn't go meant that you weren't informed etc. *based off what someone else heard someone say - irrelevant really
default_smile.png
Would never hold in court.

I, on the other hand, am interested and informed about various things (not everything, of course!) and would love to go to express that. So I am excited to know that all I need to do is state my case and send it to my director or anyone willing to listen. Of course, I won't be bashful to hide my opinions. Recently I have done a lot of research, and there is a matter this year that really interests me. But, like I said, I don't have the resources to go, either, but I want to be heard. In which case, I do appreciate the willingness for those of you who would take my thoughts and maybe offer them up in some form at the meeting.

To make this easier on me, though, I think the next meeting should be in the Pacific Northwest! ;)

This wasn't in our budget this year either but, one of these years.

I would like to publicly thank all of the AMHA officers, board and committee members for their hard work and dedication. I think its often a thankless job and I admire people who spend their valuable time and energy struggling with the issues and trying to do the right thing for the AMHA, it's members and all our horses.

In particular, I would like to recognize a couple of gentlemen who I have known for the last 5 years--since shortly after I saw my first mini--and who are leaving their positions in the next few days. I have written about Jim Barenklau previously and my first ever appearance at a horse show. Clueless was an understatement to describe me and Jim made a point of introducing himself and making me feel so welcome. I was hooked from that time on. He's a true gentleman in every sense of the word and I think the AMHA has become a kinder, gentler place under his leadership. Thank you Jim and here's to hoping you and Lynn and Sadie have the time to actually attend some shows this year!

I've known Clair Severson for almost as long and served on the board of the MMHC with him for three years. He is tireless in his efforts, locally and nationally, on behalf of mini people and horses. He is courageous and always does the right thing, regardless of personal impact. He has been a great mentor for Mike and I and so willing to share his knowledge and experience. He and his family ran the MMHC club shows up here for many years and put on some great shows. Thank you Clair, you're the best!

"Up Nort" where we live, there isn't much of an AMHA presence, maybe 3 AMHA shows in the 5-state area (might be a 7 or 8 state area actually). Jim and the South Dakota club sponsored one and Clair and the Minnesota club sponsored a second. As someone who wants to particpate in both AMHA and AMHR, I am so grateful that these gentleman make sure we have that option!

Thanks to everyone who works on a national and local level on behalf of the AMHA.

Mary Wilson (and Mike Degner)

Latest posts

Back