AMHA and AMHR The Silver Gene

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the silver gene, now that there is a test for it and can be proven, is allowed when we register our foals or do a color correction?

Does it show up on the studbooks?

It has always been amazing to me that one of the most unique aspects of our miniature horses is their amazing variety of colors and especially the silver gene which occurs in only a few breeds has not been recognized by the registries on paper.

If it is not, could someone from the two registries explain why it is not allowed ?

Thank you.

AMHR accepts silver bay, have not tried with AMHA yet.

Thanks Jill,

But shouldn't both AMHA and AMHR accept all the variations for registration ??;

Silver Bay, Silver Chestnut, Silver Black, Silver Buckskin etc.

Not all these have dapples either.

I just bought and transferred a silver buckskin AMHA registered stallion back in November. He was registered as gray as a foal; I changed his color to silver buckskin when I transferred him into my name; and he IS listed as "silver buckskin" on his papers.

I have several silver bays and silver dapples (I just put silver dapple on the form since I knew they accepted that, I didn't know if they'd take silver black & I didn't feel like trying!) registered with AMHR. Silver buckskin I'm told that they will accept if you send photos showing that it is a silver buckskin (this was prior to photos being required--now of course all will have photos with the application) but I didn't bother with photos and just sent in my silver buckskin as "buckskin".

Silver chestnut I would have my doubts, just because you can't "see" the silver on chestnut. If you have DNA to prove the silver is there then maybe? However, it's the same as a horse that tests LWO+ but doesn't show the pinto pattern except for a small white spot on his nose....how many of those get registered as "pinto"?? I'm guessing not many.

hello,

Our silver bay appy stud papers with amha/amhr have silver bay listed.

Thanks Jill,

But shouldn't both AMHA and AMHR accept all the variations for registration ??;

Silver Bay, Silver Chestnut, Silver Black, Silver Buckskin etc.

Not all these have dapples either.
Yeah, they should
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
It's mind boggling to me that they do not... I think they'd probably spin their eyes in a circle if I tried to correct "Destiny's" papers to show that he is a smoky silver black
default_biggrin.png

I'm not even sure they allow the variations of double dilute? I'm thinking only cremello is an option (?) but what about perlino and smoky cream?

Additionally, I think they should keep track of a horse's original color if they have greyed as that IS important. I recently sold a beautiful grey filly who started out palomino. I know it, her new owner knows it, but that's the kind of thing that may be unknown in 10 years, but could be material to a person who breeds her.

I just bought and transferred a silver buckskin AMHA registered stallion back in November. He was registered as gray as a foal; I changed his color to silver buckskin when I transferred him into my name; and he IS listed as "silver buckskin" on his papers.
This is good to know!!! I will update Flirt's papers with AMHA because it's bugged me. I have a new silver buckskin dun mare to bring into my name as well so will try it with her with the addition of "dun". Eyes may roll
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Chanda did you send in any genetic testing results as proof or did they just take your information and photos ?

Chanda did you send in any genetic testing results as proof or did they just take your information and photos ?
I never tested him for silver, as it was obvious he was silver something; but did test him for agouti and cream, which he has both.

I honestly can't remember if I sent anything in with papers when I transferred him, but I want to say that I probably wrote a short note stating he was silver buckskin and had tested positive for agouti and cream (probably did send a copy of his DNA color test results, but just can't remember, now).

Here's my silver bucksking stallion:

machemontanamyfavorite%20-%2011-18-07%20-%20taken%20by%20susan.jpg

Picture taken in November, when he arrived, and also one of the pictures I sent in with transfer paperwork.

[We actually think he may be a silver smokey brown, as his color is not the same as most silver buckskins, but decided not to press our luck with getting correct color on his papers. And, brown modifier (At) is at the same location as bay, so not too far off {at this time there is limited testing to distinguish brown (At) from bay (A) from wild bay (don't know the designation)}.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Chanda, what is a "Wild Bay" ????
I'm not sure I totally understand it, myself, but as I understand it; with Wild Bay points are restricted to black only upto the fetlocks or a little higher on the legs (mane and tail still black).

I am bumping this up in hopes that someone can decribe or show photos (even better) of a "wild bay".

Latest posts

Back