American & UK shetlands

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
Over here in Australia, I don't think I have ever seen your American style shetlands. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, or possibly have another name here.

Are the UK style Shetlands a dying breed in America? Are there still any breeders of UK style Shetlands there? I really do love the new American style shetland too though.

I'd love to see photos of the 'original' style Shetlands if anyone owns one?

My 1st riding experiences as a young girl were on a Shetland pony. I also managed to break my arm off a Shetland when I was about 10 years old!

The UK Shetland ponies are still as popular as ever here with their gorgeous double coats, thick manes and tails, thick necks and stout bodies. The big eyes of a Shetland pony still make me melt. My neighbour owns a black shetland mare, who was Bailey's best friend until Willow arrived.

Here are a couple of photos of both of them together. I just love her stocky build!

shetland.jpg

shetland2.jpg

So, if you own an original Shetland Isle Shetland, tell me all about them!
default_wub.png

xox Leonie xox

Lewella is a good shetland history buff, but she is at Congress right now but prob will be home tommarow or monday i bet .....will have to bump this up around then ...

The conformation that is "in" over here is different then what is "in" over there, i believe when your island shetlands came over here we added in some hackney, welsh ext blood along the way and todays american shetland is the product of such. I think there are allot of grade shetland ponies over here that resemble your shetlands, most of those people over here with the grade shetlands i think do not even know what a actual shetland is, therefor if its short ...stocky ...fat they call it a "shetland". It always amazes me when we go out to our local fair in august each year (to promote the breed ext, have fun) the look on peoples faces when i tell them these are shetlands ...they are expecting me to walk out of the stall with a fat bulky pony ..always makes me go
default_biggrin.png

I think your island shetlands are very neat, there is a lady locally she imports and breeds Dartmoore ponies ...she got the chance to import an actual island shetland a year or two ago and he looks very much like your black shetland
default_smile.png
. She does CDE's ext, i actually seen her yesterday as i had to turn in fair entrys and she said she is planning to import another and make a team
default_smile.png

There is a breeder of the UK Shetlands here in Nova Scotia. To them, the American "Shetland", wth it's hackney/welsh add-ons isn't a Shetland Pony in the least, and they hate the fact that they are still called "Shetlands" at all.

In a way...I tend to agree. Although I do like the look of the American ponies...I do have agree with them, as they are so different from what the original pony is like...including having been made un-pure, and actually a differnt breed apart.

It's weird because I've seen pictures of the shetland pony my mom had as a kid, and it doesn't look AT ALL like what is considered a shetland today. I like the American ponies today, but they aren't exactly what I picture when I hear "shetland pony".

I agree. The first time I saw a "modern" Shetland I honestly thought it was a Hackney pony. LOTS of Hackney pony blood is some lines! I love the look of both for different reasons, but the American Shetland really should become another breed in and of itself.

That is why our ponies are called American Shetland Ponies!!! So many only think of Modern division ponies but you need to look at all divisions especially classic as this is much of what miniatures were bred down from. there is a group to preserve the UK pony here too but i dont have the web addy off hand. Also look at foundation division for the more older style pony.

It's weird because I've seen pictures of the shetland pony my mom had as a kid, and it doesn't look AT ALL like what is considered a shetland today. I like the American ponies today, but they aren't exactly what I picture when I hear "shetland pony".
AH! That's because we don't have your grandma's pony. We have the American Shetland Pony!
default_aktion033.gif
When I was 9 I had a shetland pony. She was stocky and head strong. Probably like your grandma's pony. Now I have the what America has changed the breed into. They are beautiful and mine have a loving personality. They have changed a lot, I agree, but I do feel they have changed for the better. IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
So often this topic is brought up as if the American Shetland Pony is some sort of fraud.

Look at the difference between English and American Cocker Spaniel, and other "breeds" that really only share part of a name. They come from the same distant ancestors, but nowadays they are essentially two different breeds.

Same with Island Shetlands and American Shetlands. It doesn't make either more or less "true" or better than the other. Both are wonderful breeds...they simply are what they are.

However, don't forget that oftentimes that childhood pet referred to as a Shetland is or was actually a grade pony that just happened to be small.

However, don't forget that oftentimes that childhood pet referred to as a Shetland is or was actually a grade pony that just happened to be small.
EXACTLY! That right there in my opinion is why so many do not understand the "shetland" breed
default_smile.png
..people over here grew up riding what their parents told them were "shetland". I think allow of people just call these small ponies shetlands because they dont know what else to call them (the grades).

There is a breeder of the UK Shetlands here in Nova Scotia. To them, the American "Shetland", wth it's hackney/welsh add-ons isn't a Shetland Pony in the least, and they hate the fact that they are still called "Shetlands" at all.
In a way...I tend to agree. Although I do like the look of the American ponies...I do have agree with them, as they are so different from what the original pony is like...including having been made un-pure, and actually a differnt breed apart.
I agree with you Sue!

Also wish I could get ahold of one of Wally's cart trained shetlands...but sadly,,toooo far away.

So often this topic is brought up as if the American Shetland Pony is some sort of fraud.
Look at the difference between English and American Cocker Spaniel, and other "breeds" that really only share part of a name. They come from the same distant ancestors, but nowadays they are essentially two different breeds.

Same with Island Shetlands and American Shetlands. It doesn't make either more or less "true" or better than the other. Both are wonderful breeds...they simply are what they are.

No one's saying one is better than the other (I don't think). I think American Shetlands are gorgeous creatures. Please, don't get your backs up
default_unsure.png

AH! That's because we don't have your grandma's pony. We have the American Shetland Pony!
default_aktion033.gif
When I was 9 I had a shetland pony. She was stocky and head strong. Probably like your grandma's pony. Now I have the what America has changed the breed into. They are beautiful and mine have a loving personality. They have changed a lot, I agree, but I do feel they have changed for the better. IMHO.
My mom might be getting up there in age, but I don't think she'd like to be called my grandma.
default_laugh.png
She'd agree with you though, her pony was very head strong and she said it's the only horse she's ever fallen off of. :DOH!

Matt, my back isn't up at all...sorry if it read that way.

My point is that there is room for both -- each is unique. I love all of them, including the often slandered pet ponies whose only real fault is being too smart for their own good.

Sorry if my question upset anyone here.

I guess I just wanted to now if anyone owns or breeds the UK style shetlands. The UK and the American style are so completely different so I wasn't trying to compare them.

Like I mentioned, the Uk style shetlands are as popular as ever here in Australia and I just wanted to see if it was that way in America.
default_smile.png

Matt, my back isn't up at all...sorry if it read that way.
My point is that there is room for both -- each is unique. I love all of them, including the often slandered pet ponies whose only real fault is being too smart for their own good.

No. Sorry if I read it that way
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back