Amazing how animals communicate

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davie

Reaction score
Long story but amazing how an animal reacts when they knows/feels something is wrong.

Back several months ago I found a tiny kitten who had been separated from his litter and brought him home. I name him after Crabby Chicken's Monkey as he was such a character and he came into my life the morning after her Monkey crossed the rainbow bridge.

Well now that he has grown up some it was time for him and the two barn kitties that have since made themselves part of the group to loose the family jewels as I don't want roaming TOMs this spring. So last Thursday was the day and Dr Kim arrived -- usually all the cats love to see her and are always in our way--not that day--The Cat Hunt was on.

First off was Mr Smokie and everything proceeded as normal. Then it was Monkey's turn--got him and was putting him in the crate when he scratched me and got away so off to the barn to get him again. Had to give him two shots as he was upset and nervious. Procedure went well and then for the third and final patient--Pepper who also had been bitten by something and had a wound that was not healing that received stitches. Well Smokie and Pepper were placed in crates and slept it off on the pourch--very lovely afternoon for a long nap.

Since I was one crate short I put Monkey in the house on a big fluffy towel on the couch to sleep it off and Little Man in his crate as I went to work for a couple of hours with the vet's approval.

When I got home Smokie was already recovered and ready to head back to the barn. Pepper was still somewhat groggy and decided to stay in his crate for a while. Went into the house and Little Man was just whinning up a storm and Monkey was on the floor sound asleep.

Took Little Man out for his afternoon potty break and when we got back in the house I picked a very groggy/drunk Monkey up and put him on his towel next to me in the recliner so I could monitor his progress as Dr Kim had said it would take longer for him to come around because of the second shot.

Little Man jumped up on my lap and was just whinning and looking at me and then would nuzzle Monkey. He would then paw at him trying to get him up, push him with his nose, and lick his head and face and just being very upset that he could not get his buddy to respond (they play together like two cats). He would look at me and say "MOM Whats Wrong, Monkey doesn't move? He would then push and prod, try and roll him over, and wash his face some more. I told Little Man that he was just sleeping as he had surgery and was OK, but that was not good enough--Little Man knew Monkey was in trouble and something was wrong and wanted me to FIX it. He finally worked himself into such a dither that I had to make him lay down on my lap next to Monkey as he was jump up and down off the recliner every few seconds.

Everytime Monkey moved as he came out of sedation Little Man just had a spell. By late evening Monkey was finally coming around and was able to get around even though on very wobbly noodle legs--Little Man would follow him everywhere and coax him to get back up when he topple over. He even slept with Monkey that night at the end of my bed and Little Man usually sleeps next to my back under the covers. He was going to protect and help his buddy no matter what.

It was amazing to watch these two best friends, interact with each other. How Little Man worried over his buddy and wanted me to make it better. I sure hope nothing ever happens to Monkey as Little Man will worry himself to death. Wished I had taken some photos of Little Man curled up around Monkey as he recovered from his surgery.

Some people say animal can't feel and make those kind of connections, but those of use who are OWNED by our furkids know better. It was just amazing to watch--one animal guarding his BEST PAL when he was helpless. As we all know--don't underestimate the love of an animal--for either his human companions or other animals when they need help.

that is SO sweet!

about 10 days ago, my little male corgi got into a fight with the neighbor's dog and ended up with stitches in his leg. his girlfriend, my great dane, was beside herself with worry about him. for the first couple of days after it happened, she followed him everywhere (instead of the usual HIM following HER everywhere) and even though simon didn't lose a bit of his appetite through it all, ashley refused to eat for 2 days because she was so worried about him. i swear, she was like an old mother hen!

I love reading about these kinds of things. Animals have a very big depth of emotion, and there are a lot of people who so not realize how much they feel and really, they have the same basic emotions as people. You see it all with animals you get to know -- love, happiness, sorrow, jealousy... Thanks for sharing this post with us!!!
love0075.gif

Awwww Davie!

I have wondered how your Monkey Man was doing. So glad he has such a wonderful home and a good buddy who watches his back!!!! Glad he is coming out of it and will be a happier guy now! Thank you so much for the update!!!!

Davie you are so right in that. I can't make a wimper with out my Purdy cat on my lap in a second. Since I lost my foal last Friday she has been attached to me. She will come and stick her face in my face to distract me from my sorrow.

Loved you story of you Little Man and Monkey.

Latest posts

Back