amatuer classes question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBittyBritches

Reaction score
I just wanted to see if I can get more info on the AMHR amatuer classes. We have an amatuer card, and a show we are planning to attend has amatuer classes. what benefit would it be to show there and in regular halter classes? We would not be going to lots of shows this year, so there wouldnt be enough amatuer points to do anything with, I dont think. Do the horses get points in these classes as well? I am just trying to understand the amateur status......?

The benefit is you will be showing against other amateurs and no trainers or youth. Its more ring time for you and your horse. If I were only going to show in one division, it would be amateur not open. There are no Hall Of Fame points for amateur halter, so if thats your goal then you will have to show open. There are all star points (year end awards) for amateur. If you can show both, I would. The more ring time you get with your horse, the better you both wil become.

I show in both. I only do halter in hand classes, so me being in the ring is limited. This yr Im showing a 29-29.5" sr broodmare in Liberty, Model mares 2 yrs & older, Halter mares 3 yrs & older, Amateur halter mares, and solid color mares.

Hi L'i Britches,

There are a lot of advantages in showing in the amateur division one of which was mentioned, not showing against trainers. The amateur division is for newbies that are new to showing, or a division that folks like you don't want to compete in the open yet as they are not ready. At the local level shows, when a show manager/secretary sends me their show premium list I qualify their show for a High Point Amateur award. The majority of shows are dual, which mean they have both miniatures and Shetland amateur classes. If you enter any amateur class at those shows, you are automatically in for the running for the High Point Amateur award for that show. Once the show is over with and the show management sends me the results I personally write to each amateur winner. They receive from me a certificate that they can frame and show off, their award voucher and a letter. If the show is a dual show, then there will be one High Point Miniature Amateur winner and one High Point Shetland Amateur winner.

Then we give awards at the ASPC Congress for the High Point Amateur in the Classic, Foundation, Modern, Modern Pleasure and Show Pony plus the trainers give an award to the 2nd place high point amateur. At the AMHR Nationals we give high point awards for Miniature Halter-Under, Miniature Halter-Over Miniature Performance-Under, Miniature Performance-Over, and again the trainers give an award to the 2nd highest amateur.

Then we move onto the End of the Year Awards which is where the Sureme Amateur comes in. We also have a program call the Amateur Excellence/Companion program that you can earn your amateur awards.

Now there is one award that isn't part of the Triple A Amateur Advantage prograam and that is the Amateur Hall of Fame that is handled by the registry.

So, if you obtained an amateur card this year with your membership you should have also received a new 2012 Amateur Packet with your cards. If not, you can go to the member services tap, pull up the amateur tab and print off the amateur packet. It's chock full of information. There is a part of the program for the End of the Year High Point Awards that each and every amateur must keep track of themselves. The forms are there and are due to me by December 1st.

If you have any questions or don't understand any part of the program you can either drop me an email or give me a call. I'll be happy to visit with you about the Triple A Amateur Program.

Karen Shaw

Chairmn

ASPC/AMHR/ASPR Triple A Amateur Advantage Program

Side Note: This is very important....every amateur that is planning on showing at the ASPC Congress and the AMHR Nationals MUST send a copy of your CURRENT 2012 Amateur card with your entries along with a copy of your CURRENT 2012 membership card. ALso, any amateur competing in the Incentive classes (Money) their name MUST be on the registration papers. Only the person who's name is on the registration papers can show in those money classes.

Thank you so much Karen! You answered alot of questions!

Thank you so much Karen! You answered alot of questions!

Latest posts

Back