Am I "dun"?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrescentMinis

Reaction score
Her papers say simply "dun" for color; the seller advertised her as liver chestnut. When she is clipped, all these light colored dapply things appear. I don't see the same dun leg barring that some dun color websites show, but there are some markings that are odd. No dorsal stripe or shoulder marking is visible.

I will end up having her tested, but not sure what to have her tested for.

Any ideas??? Thanks
default_smile.png

Annie0725.jpg

Not Dun. From the photo and description, she appears to be Silver Black Dapple.

I have two horses that were mis registered as being Dun. One is a Silver Bay and the other a minimally marked Sabino Sorrel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Songcatcher...that was very helpful. Here is what came up when I googled silver black dapple (describes Annie to a "T"):

_________

The silver dapple (Z) gene is a dilution gene that affects the black base coat color. It will typically dilute a black mane and tail to flaxen, and a black body to a shade of brown or chocolate.[1] It is responsible for a group of coat colors in horses called "silver dapple" in the west, or "taffy" in Australia. The most common colors in this category are black silver and bay silver, referring to the respective underlying coat color.[2]

Mature black silvers typically have sooty white or silver manes and tails with a flat, non-fading, dark grey or grey-brown body coat. The body coat frequently exhibits dapples, rings of lighter-colored hair.

Mature bay silvers retain their reddish bodies, though the presence of small amounts of silver often gives them a chocolate appearance. The mane and tail are usually a sooty silver, darker at the roots, and the legs are usually a flat, brownish-grey mottled with silver. The hair around the eyes and muzzle may also show signs of silvering.

Silver dapple foals can be difficult to identify, but commonly have a pale, wheat-colored body coat, white eyelashes, and hooves with tapering vertical stripes. These characteristics fade over time.[3]

(from Wikepedia)

_________

I agree, silver dapple black
default_smile.png
One of my favorite colors
default_biggrin.png
"Dun" is a color that is often misused from what I have seen
default_no.gif

Thanks for confirming! Jill, I love your beautiful silver black Hope!!!

I went in and played with the genetic color calculator and of course it's a whole different range of options basing her color on silver black. IF we have a foal out of her this year, I know better what to expect (was pasture bred to a chestnut pinto before I purchased her). If there is no foal, it'll be fun researching who she would cross with nicely down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back