Am extremely upset with the Vet I have been using

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
We have this old cat heidi... we love her dearly but she hasn't been doing well for a couple of years. Done all the testing over and over again through this on Vet..nothing changes. She is skinny, can't keep on weight..she is on speical spendy food..we have always taken the best care possible of her. Not the money so much is the Vet thinks we are stupid....

Last couple of days.. she is still purring but can hardly walk....almost no motor control with the last half of her body. She is my sons cat and he carries her everywhere now..because she can't on her own... this is sooo very hard on him. This family is so torn up to see her like this. I know it is time..there is nothing that can be done. She is old,worn out and in a lot of pain...even though we give her pain meds twice a day.

So I call the Vet this morning and I get.. the Vet doesn't condone putting any animal down. So what... make her suffer longer? I have a knack for making animals well...but even I can't do anything about old age and worn out body parts... and I know it.

I let Hubby know...at his new job..he doesn't need to deal with this right now..we are both in tears on the phone... he is going to try to come home so we can take her to the Vet. I don't think I could hold it together enough..to handle both an stupid Vet and Heidi. He is also going to call her.

G** I hate it when they get old.

There are other issues with this Vet I will not go into now but I have had good caring Vets... and everyonce in awhile.. Vets like this one..that shouldn't be practicing. Should of listen when even the local animal shelter will not deal with this Vet.

He doesn't condone putting animals down? It is his responsibility to help an animal cross when needed. I would find a new vet in ahurry, for the sake of your poor kitty. It sounds like she is telling you it is time. You have given her a great life full of love and companionship, now she needs to let go. Please, find another vet to help her. Obviously the one you are using now is an uncaring jerk.
default_gaah.gif

Good luck, and hugs to you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I am so sorry. Just not right no matter how you look at it.

Talk to the local humane society. Some of them have vets that they have at their facility. I know that I can take an animal to the vet at our local humane society and can hold the animal while the vet helps the animal pass peacefully.

Follow your heart on this one and find a caring vet that can help. I know that you have done everything possible for your feline family member.

(((hugs)))

I agree.......Find a new vet!!! Not "condoning putting an animal down"...is condoning suffering!!!!

Thanks everyone.

Did not know that about the animal shelters...only have one in the area, Thank you for telling me that. DH is on his way home so we can go to this Vet...if she still will not do the right thing... .. We will call around and find other small animal Vets to see her...and hopefully do the right thing.

I wish there was a magic pill to make her young again..........

After today... I will no longer use this Vet.

This "VET" and I use the term loosely when it comes to her should be reported. Please go to your local shelter or humane society and they should help you let your cat cross. Please know we all care! When it comes to the end for our beloved pets it should be a kinder crossing. There should be compassion for the owners that are losing their beloved friend. This you are not getting. Hoping for an easier time for you and your pet.

Oh my gosh! This is awful. I fully support vets that are unwilling to put an animal down for just "any" behavioral reason, but something like this?? AWFUL!

Well,, Hubby got ahold of that Vet...and he had some words.. very polietly mind. And you know what she said.. we do not condone putting any animal down for any reason... and get this....she also said all animal owners don't know anything and can't possibly make a judgement call.

So no way would I trust her with my beloved pets passing.

Called my large animal Vet, since they do pets too... and have an appointment for Heidi tomorrow. Was the soonest appointment they had.

Stress is bad enough watching Heidi...basically slowly die...but to have a Vet be like that.....

Thank you so much everyone for your support.

WOW....I can't believe a vet like that. I must be really lucky. The vet I use now sent a sympathy card the last time I had a pet put down. Used to have a vet in Florida that even sent me a flower arrangement after putting down my best dog ever.

I was spoiled when I lived in NH.. then WA. Had access to many very, very good both small and large animal Vets. Willing to listen,, treated you with respect. Was a shocker moving down here...wasn't expecting what I have been dealing with here.

Sigh ~~~

In fact...I wish my old small animal Vet wasn't so far away..would just go back up there..but at almost 4 hours away..would not be fair to Heidi to take that kind of drive. So have hopes with the other Vets tomorrow.

As a veterinary Technician I am disturbed to hear that they will not humanly euthanize a pet. and as for the "owners have no sense of judgement" part, I firmly believe that the owner/pet will know when its time. Heck, your the one who lives with them 24/7, not us! I definately think you are doing the right thing. Just like there are bad mechanics and good mechanics (or any other trade) there are good vets and bad ones too.

Thinking of you during this difficult time,

Masako

I am so sorry this time has come for your dear kitty and family member. You are right in trying to find a vet that will take care of your pets needs. I can't understand a vet saying an animal has to suffer to the end that is just not right. Good luck in finding a vet quickly and prayers for your families healing.

I'm sorry you are going through this with your cat....I'm doing the same thing with my old dog....I know putting her through another winter is not fair....but I just haven't picked the right day yet.....

As for the vet....I find it hard to believe that vet went through vet school thinking that way....
default_no.gif
default_unsure.png

~kathryn

Shari I'm so sorry you are being put thru such an awful and emotional situation by the vet. There are good vets in Columbia County who will take your word for it that you need to put your kitty down. We have 3 I know of here in our area. I hope all goes well for you tomorrow so you can then go home and mourn the loss of your kitty. Just know we are all here for you.

Shari, I'm so sorry about your beloved kitty. May you and your sweet Heidi have peace and calm during this time in her life.

I wish you were nearer us. We have a fine small animal and large animal vet here in Astoria.

Dr. Goza and Hunter have us covered in regard to pets and the larger ones, and I know they would never behave in the manner you are describing.

My thoughts are with you and may Heidi have the gentle crossing she deserves. Finally. I know she understands you are doing your best for her and have done.

Liz

Wow, so sorry you are having to deal with this type of vet while trying to deal with a very stressful time...... please know I am thinking of you, and I hope

all goes as smoothly as it can for you tomorrow........ I know exactly what you are going through and thank goodness our vet was very compassionate and

helped us send Sofie on her last journey. They even sent us a nice card with her foot prints after the fact plus the "rainbow bridge" poem, .......very awesome small animal vets I have.

Now don't get me started on my horse vet.......who shall not be my horse vet after Rascal gets his stiches out in 2 weeks.....urgh.....that's another story.

Anyway, please know I am thinking of you guys....
default_wub.png

Heidi, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm sorry Heidi has to suffer because of one person's "authority complex", maybe she feels threatened that you know your animal so well, as to know what is needed for her.
default_no.gif

I can't imagine she will stay in business very long.

Latest posts

Back