Alpine goats???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya

Reaction score
I am looking into getting another goat and haven't decided yet what kind. I currently have a pygmy (maybe crossed with something since he is 100lbs) and another mini goat, I thought also pygmy or nigi crossed with something. I've been looking into the alpines and I think my one guy could be a nigi/alpine cross.

Anywho, I've been checking the alpines out on line, but i really want to hear personal experiences. How are their personalities? Anything you can tell me about them. Do you think it would get along well with the goats I currently have?

Thanks.

Years ago I had a French Alpine. She gave lots of milk and was easy to milk.

That was about the only thing good I can remember about her. On the bad side she was very skittish and not very friendly. I think she even drug my Mom through the blackberry bushes once. Since she was the only goat I ever had and I didn’t raise her I have no idea if she was typical of the breed or not. I have a feeling that if I had raised her she would have been much friendlier

Back when I had dairy goats I had some French Alpines. Our buck was called Joachim and he was a handsome devil....... but he was there for breeding does and not a pet. I remember the Alpines were big hefty hearty goats, and they gave a lot of milk. Like all goats, they can be mischeivous little devils. I don't recall them having a personality one way or the other..... but I had a lot of goats. I'm sure if you get to know the particular goat, it would be a great pet.

I had had friends that milked them in the past. If you like this breed be veryy careful about temperament and picky. Because the majority of them seem to be hard to handle.

George and Gracie are my Alpine/Nubian crosses and I love them. Gracie resembles an Alpine and George has traits of both. I brought them home at 10 days old and bottle-raised them. They are lap goats, or would like to be. They are both very sweet, personable, curious and playful. Gracie gives kisses, and they both love to be scratched. They are very talkative, and can be loud at feeding time (I hear that's a Nubian trait). They are weed-eating machines! I haven't had any problems with their temperment. They've had lots of hands-on human time since they were babies. They are huge goats, at least they seem to be to me, and very in-your-face, so can be intimidating to strangers until they meet them. Our only problem with them has been that they are hard on fences. And trees. And flowers.
biggrin.gif

Back