Alpaca's are here!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
We were originally looking for a Dog..but ended up with these guys.
default_laugh.png

The Alpaca's arrived, three in total. They will need some taming but at least they are some what halter trained. The white one is already gelded,, the other two will be this coming Tuesday. Just hope I can catch them for the Vet.

For being in a new place, they are being very calm. Horse's however are running around like crazy.

After the two are gelded, they will be put into what we call the "Miniature horse" pasture for a couple of weeks, so everyone can get used to each other safely. Right now they are in the round pen,,so hopefully we can catch them.

alpacacaribou.jpg

alpaca2.jpg

alpacasnowball.jpg

LOL how did you go from wanting a dog to getting these guys lol
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl They are pretty darn cute
default_yes.gif

Well.... the dogs we were looking at.. would not of worked out for one reason or another.

Saw these guys and decided... why not get them instead...and they kind'a just fell into my lap so to speak. Beginning to think we are not ment to have a dog.

I have been missing my sheep and wanted a fiber animals again, seemed like a good match...so here they are.
default_laugh.png

Oh..yes..they are very cute..and those big brown eyes!! Goodness...
default_wub.png

That is too funny! You got THREE alpacas instead of a dog!
default_laugh.png

Aren't they neat? My boyfriend has one that I hear should be expecting for next year.
default_wub.png

hehehe that's a funny story
default_laugh.png
I'm sure you will have loads of fun with them
default_yes.gif

They are so CUTE!!!! Do you work the fiber yourself? What else do you do with it? Do you clean it and do all that yourself? That I hear is a lot of work!!!........ But awesome!

They're beautiful, Shari!

Our neighbors have llamas, and I'd love to have either llamas or alpacas, but worry about our little dogs around them...

I still want to make it up your way for a visit...now I have some new critters to meet!

Thanks everyone!

I do plan to show their fleece at the State Fair next year.... what I do not sell... I would send away to be made into Roving. That way I can just get on with the job of spinning.
default_laugh.png

Yes, Susanne... you need to come visit them. As for looking for one for yourself... some of the Alpaca's are pretty laid back about dogs and can get along with them very well... just so long the dog is nice to them.

The folks I got these guys from still need to find homes for a few more and the price is excellent!

I LOVE alpacas. I wanted to get a herd of them, but when I started pricing what I wanted I almost went into a permanent shock. That will have to wait until later.
default_biggrin.png
They are wonderful animals. Congratulations on adding three of them to your farm.

They are sooo pretty, my brother in law wanted to give me 3 geldings. They were very tame and had been shown but when he said they had to be tied down to be sheared I decided to pass. I wish now I would have taken them. They are beautiful, have fun w/ them
default_smile.png

Thanks everyone!

I don't know much about these guys... but I know they can be taught to be sheared standing up if someone wants to take the time. Plan on using some TTeam methods with them.

If you just want Fiber males..and many of them have excellent breeding, if you keep your eye open..you could find yourself a screaming good deal on them. I couldn't afford the average prices either for the breeding stock. But I have feeling their market is going to slow down soon.

Wow, how could you not love that beautiful face!!??
default_wub.png
I like that the alpacas are smaller than the llamas. Can you see I think "miniature" here
default_smile.png
Even a MinPin for a dog
default_rolleyes.gif

Miniature is good! I also like that the Alpaca's are smaller. And we are pretty much mini here too...ok well ...except for my Maine coon cat. <LOL> Small gaited riding horse, two minis, B sized Jenny, mini chickens.. well you get the idea.
default_laugh.png

Oh Shari, they are beeeeaaauutiful! Love those faces and those BIG eyes!
default_wub.png

I have 4 alpacas and love them. Got them last November and had them gelded. I have 3 huacayas and 1 suri. The suri has very silky like fleece. We got them to eat some of the hill pastures down instead of backing the tractor down to mow the steep hill. They are wonderful animals and can be very loving back. We send out our first shearing to be made into roving and some yarn as I don't spin yet but someday I will. I have been knitting socks and mittens for far with them. We will be opening up a store to sell alpaca products along with our maple syrup and other farm products. I've also started to learn how to needle felt with the fleece and made some beautiful angels out of the roving.

Latest posts

Back