almost 1 yr old minis tail hair looks like spiral perm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StellaLenoir

Reaction score
Chocolate thunder is normal otherwise, well at least not grossly abnormal!
default_wacko.png

The rest of his hair seems just like my others. His mane is pretty straight. He has had the curls since birth. I thought he would grow out of it , like a foal hair thing. But when I brush his tail, the curls are growing, not growing out. They are TIGHT up by the root.

Just wondering if it is something normal, weird or a sign of something else.

here are a few pics, in real life you have to un-curl the new growth or it is so tight

you almost cant brush it. Butthe hair is normal texture as far as thickness of strands, smooth individual strands ect. Also these pics are from earlier in the year. His coat has shed out well.
default_wub.png

100_2372-1.jpg

100_2377.jpg

100_2385.jpg
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

thanks

I have a yearling filly that has the same thing but it is her mane adn forelock!! When I brush it out she looks like a big poof ball!! I spray detangler and conditioner in it to try to calm it down......
default_wacko.png

Edited to say: He is super cute by the way!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You got the curlies. Untwirl it, apply show sheen or something to help and comb.

When you wash the tail, load it up with lots of creme rinse and separate all the hairs and comb through. If you keep after it, shouldn't twirl.

Romeo's tail does this also, but I think it is less severe. They kind of look like dreads if his tail hasn't been brushed in a while (I usually only comb tails for shows; I will run my fingers through the tail the rest of the time for minimal breakage).

You can kind of see the curl in this picture: (Excuse Romeo smiling for the camera! LOL)

RomySummerC.jpg

As far as I know, completely normal.
default_smile.png

haha, I'll have to take a picture of our yearling sorrel pinto filly's mane, she's got the tightest "curls"
default_wacko.png

We have curls too. I thought it was from pee.
default_rolleyes.gif
Well--because Jazz's tail and mane are incredibly thick--and straight, but bushy. All the curls are on the girls.

PS: Also you can try after washing, pull it down like you are stretching it and make a large braid under the tail bone to keep it from twirling right back so fast. Just keep after it.
default_aktion033.gif

We had a filly last year that had lots of curls!! We had to get out the straightner at the show!!!!!!!!!

default_biggrin.png
thanks everyone!! I am such a dork I worried about them! I dont mind the curls, and so far they are not causing tangles, so I am not going to stress about straightening them.

Marty I will try your tips, well maybe not the braiding, I am SUPER hair style challenged. I can braid, but thats it no special effects or french braiding ect.
default_wacko.png

minihorses4ever_ I love his smile!!!!!

Yes everybody post pics of your curls. Funny that lots of girls have them, I hope Chocolate Thunder doesnt feel too bad, between gelding and girl curls???
default_wub.png

It seems like our unweaned foals have them the most.

We call them the "Shirley Temple" look!!

We kinda like them.

Pony hair.
default_smile.png
At least that's my take on it LOL, never had much of that in big horses but it seems like the ones that have the nice thick manes & tails like I remember on old time ponies are more likely to curl. It's pretty cute.

Jan

My daughter's show gelding has that type of mane, and everytime you wet it with Show Sheen or use gel it curls. SO we decided if a hair straightening iron works on our hair it should work on his. It makes his mane look FABULOUSLY smooth, straight and silky. We just use a cheap one we bought at WalMart.

Latest posts

Back