Allergic to Fly Bites?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy'sMom

Reaction score
I have a 12 year old mare that is very allergic to fly bites. She gets bumps all over her and then proceeds to itch them until they bleed. I have tried MTG and the black and pink bottle from EQyss. But, they aren't going away. I put fly spray on all the time! And, I can't do a fly sheet, because I have two yearlings that she is pastured with that would pull it off. They pull halters off! And I don't want to keep her by herself. I love my whole herd to be together! What can I give her? Anything like Benadryl for kids that would work for allergies? Or, do I have to have my vet come over and give her something?

Hydroxyzine from the vet will help. Just applying an over-the-counter topical won't do much.

Try to feed garlic to repel flies. A flysheet and fly boots would make her more comfortable, too. Perhaps you can split her up from the others, to be able to care for her properly?

Be sure to flyspray her several times a day with an effective fly spray, and use VIP or SWAT ointment to keep them away from sores.

Good luck,

Andrea

ARNICA!!!! You can get arnica cream from the health/ supplement type stores. It's great for horses...even though it is sold for people. I use it on me all the time now too. I have a little guy that swells up marble size from any mosquito bite..I tried all sorts of "traditional" stuff...but it only sort of helped. Well one day I was talking to a friend of ours with horses who lives just down the road from us who is big into the all natural homeo pathic stuff. She lent me some to try on his bites..and boy does it work. It works best when applied right after the bite but you can put it on at any time and it will still help. It takes the itch away and relieves the swelling. Its also wonderful on your own skin.

I am using the Bug Check from thenaturalhorsevet.com. It is really working. I have hardly any flies compared to other barns. I haven't had to use a fly mask since the Bug Check.

I was on a trail ride with friends a few weeks ago. We are using the bug check. I also had that vinegar/dawn dish soap spray I heard about on here. I was worried when we started because my friends were spraying with the expensive fly sprays, etc. I had forgot to pick some up, so mixed up the vinegar stuff. The flies in the woods didn't bother my pony, but we had to head home because they were swarming my friends.

Emma

A mare I used to own ONE time had a reaction to fly bites. I owned her for years following and it never happened again, but when it did happen, my vet had me give her benedryl
default_yes.gif

They used to make a garlic feed supplement to repell flies. I don't know if they still do (I recently read it dangerous to dogs and don't know if it's also dangerous to horses?).

I had a Morgan gelding that was allergic to fly bites--some summers he'd get big raw patches, especially on his legs and lower body. I tried antihistamine (given by injection) but it didn't help a lot. I tried Pre-Def 2X (corticosteroid) which did help him some. Fly spray didn't do a lot for him; sometimes I thought that it just caused more irritation to his skin.

Finally I tried KRS--it's an insecticide that you spray one once a week. Actually that did help--a lot!

Latest posts

Back