Allergic Reaction to Bug Blocker

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish Hills Farm

Irish Hills Farm
Reaction score
Just thought I would share this with everyone. I was at ASPC Congress this past 5-6 days (pics and placings posted w/more to come on the Pony Forum) and had to call the vet out Thursday morning for my 2 year old filly, Buckeye WCF Classical Imagination.

"Jenny" showed Wednesday late morning and of course I had her all gooped up for her class and had sprayed fly spray on her legs and body, NOT her face.

We were pretty busy with classes that day and instead of washing the horses off when they were done with their class(es) as I normally do, I just put the horses up in their stall. Well, that will never happen again.

Thursday morning when I went to feed I noticed Jenny's left eye lid was swollen rather large, I thought she had put her eye out it was that swollen. Than I noticed her face was swollen and she was broken out in hives on her jowl, throat latch and part of her neck. Called the vet out ... he feels that she had an allergic reaction to the fly spray. Figured she must've rubbed some part of her body that had been sprayed and the fly spray just "sat" there in all that goop. The vet gave her a couple of shots and I was instructed to give her some other meds for a few days until the swelling went down. He mentioned that that particular fly spray is leading the Nation in allergic reactions.

So, just a head's up for everyone. I use the Bug Blocker fly spray in the purple bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear about your mare I sure hope she is doing better now.... Take care..

Back