All you need to know about driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I replied to that list, I'm looking forward to their next tutorial, "How to Teach Pigs to Fly."

For a REAL eye-opener, scroll down and check out some of the related ehow links. One in particular is quite interesting...

Would that be the "How to train Guide Horses" one? Scary thing is people would just think they can just follow the steps.

This article is about the worst example I have ever seen of irresponsible writing. This is the kind of thing that gets people and their horses injured or worse! And when we say "you can't believe everything you read on the internet THIS is the kind of thing we are referring to"!!! If I wasn't so angry I would be really sad.

I thought it was a great article. Following the simple and easy instructions, Ruth and I were able to teach 5 minis to drive already this morning. LOL

Anybody want to jump in the cart and take them for a spin?

Gary

I love this "Tip or Warning".

Never let your mini runaway with the cart.
Yep, there's about the most useful piece of advice I've ever come across.
default_laugh.png

This article is about the worst example I have ever seen of irresponsible writing. This is the kind of thing that gets people and their horses injured or worse! And when we say "you can't believe everything you read on the internet THIS is the kind of thing we are referring to"!!! If I wasn't so angry I would be really sad.
I agree. Stuff like what was in the OP is what gives this forum its bad name for "being full of stupid". I talk to several Mini breeders / trainers and that is all they have to say about it. Which really is kind of sad. There is some really good info here, you just have to weed out the junk.
Back on topic, the link in the OP made me lol. If only training them to a cart was that easy. I am new to driving, and even I could tell that who ever wrote that didn't know what they where talking about. I mean seriously, who would work on getting them used to the cart BEFORE the harness? Then there was absolutely no mention of long lining (not lunging). From what I am seeing of the cart training that is a major part.

I agree. Stuff like what was in the OP is what gives this forum its bad name for "being full of stupid". I talk to several Mini breeders / trainers and that is all they have to say about it. Which really is kind of sad. There is some really good info here, you just have to weed out the junk.
Back on topic, the link in the OP made me lol. If only training them to a cart was that easy. I am new to driving, and even I could tell that who ever wrote that didn't know what they where talking about. I mean seriously, who would work on getting them used to the cart BEFORE the harness? Then there was absolutely no mention of long lining (not lunging). From what I am seeing of the cart training that is a major part.
Sorry. I am not "full of stupid"! I WAS NOT being serious about not needing a trainer. I was being sarcastic. I find that article to be totally ridiculous! Many will tell you that I have a wonderful trainer (Milo Minis) and believe fully in having my horses properly trained and lessons for myself. I have, weekly without fail, for the past year have gone for lessons and love it, and am in the process of having my second horse trained.

From the replies I have seen before yours everyone seemed to understand that I was being facetious and not at all serious about taking that article seriously.

Also I felt bad seeing that they listed lilbeginnings as a source for that article.
default_no.gif
I put this link up so everyone was aware of some of the nonsense circulating out there.

Sorry, I was not saying you where stupid. I knew you where being sarcastic. I was just saying that that is probably why people talk about these forums the way they do.

That article is really dangerous. I do know someone that did praticlly that method, not a good outcome.
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I put it out there so we are aware of what is circulating out there, not as a do-it-yourself article. Obviously more education is needed and I believe this forum does have a lot to offer and has some really knowledgeable members we can all learn from. If that was not the case this forum would not be around still. And learning is a process and sometimes it involves making mistakes or sometimes even doing "stupid" things. The important thing is we take the mistakes and stupid things and learn from them and hopefully not repeat them.
default_smile.png

I can't help but wonder if the author was not trying to make Lil Beginnings forum LOOK STUPID!
default_sad.png
I know if ANYONE came on here and said THAT was the way to train a horse they would get straightened out right quick by at least a dozen of our members but anyone reading that article would certainly not get a good opinion of our forum. I couldn't comment on the link but it wouldn't let me - if anyone else can PLEASE go on there and straighten them out!!!!!

I had to join the silly site but I flagged the article and posted a comment. I guess we will see what will happen next. I wonder if both references were aware of being used as a reference for such a irresponsible and uneducated article. I will let you guys know if/when I hear anything back.

Whin I am reeding an arcticle in a book or on the www that is souposed to be authoritized, I never beleeve it or take it seerusly if they caint spell or youse good grammer.

default_wink.png
Marsha

Whin I am reeding an arcticle in a book or on the www that is souposed to be authoritized, I never beleeve it or take it seerusly if they caint spell or youse good grammer.
default_wink.png
Marsha

LOL! Too true.
default_biggrin.png
But there are people that would believe it. Which is the sad part.

Very... Sorry again about the misunderstanding.

Very... Sorry again about the misunderstanding.
No worries.
default_biggrin.png
I guess I could have been misconstrued too.
default_wink.png
The title was a little ambiguous. We'll just chalk it up to the fault of the typewritten word! Sometimes it's easy to be misinterpreted when we write.

Back