All this talk of yearlings... Hear's my yearling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandab

Reaction score
Triple Ks Boogies Dakota Sunset

born 5-12-04

bay stallion

dakota-july1-pout.jpg

It's hard to get a decent picture when you are by yourself. I have to come up with a new distraction everytime I try to take pictures of him. He's just 14 months and he's at one of those downhill stages of growth.

Sorry about the messy background, he wouldn't cooperate where the background was less cluttered.

Oh, and he had just had a bath and I clipped the long scraggly hairs on his face.

When he grows into himself he is going to be GORGEOUS !!!

I love Tamra's horses, you are very lucky to own him
aktion033.gif

small herd said:
When he grows into himself he is going to be GORGEOUS !!! I love Tamra's horses,  you are very lucky to own him 
aktion033.gif

415849[/snapback]

Thank you. I do feel lucky to have him. He's supposed to mature around 32-33". I plan to train him to drive, you should see his trot.
new_shocked.gif

He's really nice. Looks like he has a pretty head and neck, nice hip too. I'll bet he will really look nice when he levels out. I share your pain about taking pictures by yourself. I'm either alone or my helper husband wants to just take it and be done, you really need 3 people and lots of time.

Jan

wildoak said:
He's really  nice.  Looks like he has a pretty head and neck, nice hip too.  I'll bet he will really look nice when he levels out.  I share your pain about taking pictures by yourself.  I'm either alone or my helper husband wants to just take it and be done, you really need 3 people and lots of time.  Jan

415874[/snapback]

Thank you.

I hardly even notice that he's butt high in person, but it sure shows up in pictures.
rolleyes.gif

Nice head and hip.

I did see a person in the background, don't be shy to say "HEY, can I borrow you for a minute?" Then when you got that person, take your time and take lots of pictures.

Good luck

saludando.gif

Tommy

Tommy said:
Nice head and hip.
I did see a person in the background, don't be shy to say "HEY, can I borrow you for a minute?"  Then when you got that person, take your time and take lots of pictures.

Good luck

saludando.gif

Tommy

416158[/snapback]

Thank you.

That would be my husband... One he's too busy getting ready for haying; Two the horses don't cooperate for him and Three he doesn't know how to use the camera.

chandab said:

born 5-12-04

bay stallion

Hi,

Just wondering why you call him "bay". In the photo his legs don't look black. His mane, even, is not that dark. I'm not trying to start anything here.
rolleyes.gif
Just trying to learn. These mini colors sure keep me guessing all the time.

Thanks,

Laura

blueprintminis said:
chandab said:

born 5-12-04

bay stallion

Hi,

Just wondering why you call him "bay".  In the photo his legs don't look black.  His mane, even, is not that dark.  I'm not trying to start anything here. 
rolleyes.gif
  Just trying to learn.  These mini colors sure keep me guessing all the time.

Thanks,

Laura

416224[/snapback]

Why I call him bay...

When he was little, he was registered as a red dun; he isn't (he was reddish with countershading).

When he came to live with me; the vet that did his coggins & health listed him as buckskin (both his parents are buckskin). But, all his winter woolie pictures make him look mostly bay.

So, since he couldn't decide whether he wanted to be bay or buckskin or whatever; I had him DNA color tested at UC Davis.

His results came back:

1. Ee - so he is heterozygous for the black gene (he carries one black and one red; black is dominant, so he shows the black)

2. AA - so he is homozygous for the agouti gene (agouti = bay -- agouti restricts black to mane, tail and points).

3. negative for creme gene - he does not have creme - therefore can't be buckskin or any other dilute color.

So, genetically he is bay.

His tail is black with some sun-bleached hairs

His mane is dark chocolately brown with lots of sun-bleached hairs.

His lower legs are dark chocolately brown, but the dark coloring doesn't come too far up his legs (especially his hind legs).

I suspect that the double dose of the agouti gene has even further restricted the black to his points and lightened the black coloring some. Just my guess as to his lighter mane and and short lower leg markings.

Hope this helps you a little on his coloring.

If I hadn't had him color tested, I'm not sure what color I would call him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back