All this talk of showing and Nationals and World

• Thread starter Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis
  • Start date
Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis

I know the reasons are different for everyone and many of us have TONS Of reasons we do or dont show but say what are the top 5 reasons?

1. Me personally I go to shows to first see my friends it is like a big party with a horse show interrupting it
wink.gif

2. Next of course is to watch others and learn I learn every time I go to a show both positive and negative things about myself and others and horses

3. My daughter has learned so much showing she is a great sport, always congratulating others and has improved so much sometimes she blows me away

4. Going with the above reason it is a great bonding special time we share- I get to see her for a handler and how much she has learned (even at only 8 years old) and see how others see her and get to view her as something other then my daughter if that makes any sense at all?

5. OK now the horse show part.. of course it is to see what is out there , what other types of horses are out there, where I want to go, where I am currently in my breeding program, seeing how I have grown or not.

Last edited:
For a very simple answer...........because I LOVE IT.

[SIZE=14pt]My reasons for going.[/SIZE]

1. To see friends I only see once a year as Lisa said it is a week long party.

2. To compare my horses to the others in the country to make sure I am producing what others will want to have.

3. To advertise my farm to get future customers for future foals

4. The IRS views the "big" shows as a trade show of sorts for the business.

Lyn

lyn_j said:
[SIZE=14pt]My reasons for going.[/SIZE]
4. The IRS views the "big" shows as a trade show of sorts for the business.

Lyn

457329[/snapback]

Serious question here, you mean these "trade shows/nationals" can be deducted(such as expenses incurred) when a person claims horses as a business on your taxes?

[SIZE=14pt]Absolutely! It is an advertisement expense. The mileage to go, the entries, the photos you get, everything even 25% of your food, 100% of you hotel.[/SIZE]

We also deduct or depreciate the truck and trailer, the horses we buy, feed, supplies, trainers expense.Everything.

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]Why ?[/SIZE]

I enjoy sweating

I enjoy long hours and short nights

I enjoy driving for hours

I enjoy loading and unloading the trailer

I enjoy cleaning and grooming and the pressure in the ring

I enjoy dirt and dust

I enjoy getting dressed up two or three times a day

I enjoy being so tired I can barely move

I enjoy spending everything I've made the past year (and more)

smile.gif

But most of all I really do enjoy the socializing with friends, any success I may have and most especially seeing my youth do well in the ring.

Al B said:
[SIZE=14pt]Why ?[/SIZE]

But most of all I really do enjoy the socializing with friends, any success I may have and most especially seeing my youth do well in the ring.

457338[/snapback]

I agree here! Cant wait to get Robby out there next year in 7 and under!!!!

Lyn

I love it and it's fun! And I get to meet new/old friends!

I MISS going to the Nationals !!!!

The energy and excitment and seeing friends is always wonderful.

We used to go to promote our breeding program plus all of the above. More recently we have only been to a couple of regional shows primarily for giving Brianna the experience (and responsibility) involved with showing. She loved it so much this last time that I think next season we'll be doing more.

MA

Lisa,

I was pondering this question just this morning. In a way, it's funny that I do enjoy showing so much, as I'm a loner and tend to do my own thing, and while I enjoy people on an individual basis, I don't really like crowds...

I'd have to say that my number one reason for enjoying shows is watching Mingus come alive in the show ring -- he was born to be there, and he enjoys it.

As you all know, I adore my horses and love having others see and meet them. I can't wait to add Flash to the mix, and I'd love to bring Thelonius just for fun.

I love challenges...projects with finite goals and deadlines. I enjoy working with my horses and watching them learn and watching them develop physically.

I may not like crowds per se, but I, too, am a real ham and love being onstage! I am a musician, after all.

I'm a lifelong student, and I love every little tidbit that I learn as we go along.

I always love the chance to do things my way. I'd love it if I have the tiniest influence (I know...it would be almost microscopic) in encouraging people to show their minis in a more natural fashion.

And while I don't like crowds, I LOVE seeing my friends and getting to meet new people, especially those I've gotten to know on the forum. Hopefully in the future we will be able to attend more shows, including those further from home, so that I can meet even more of you!

It would be a much shorter list if you were to as why not! LOL

I love it.

I love the gratification of hard work.

I love displaying a horse in it best light.

I love the beauty of a well conditioned horse.

I love seeing the look on someones face when they win, even if it is not mine.

I love to be around other people that are as crazy as I am for loving this sport.

I love the friends I have made and only get to see at horse shows.

When I originally started, it was for my 13 yr old daughter. Lisa is right, it was a great bonding experieince for us and I will never regret the time and energy expended on it. Although my daughter is doing different things now, I still have the bug and am so totally addicted that I need a 12 step program to help me!

biggrin.gif

After reading Al's reply, and laughing out loud

because they definately reflect this past year for me,,,,

I don't know why I show !!

Lisa, having your daughter show and sharing

that experience with her is so special. You are SO LUCKY
aktion033.gif

It is a challenge and exciting and the camaraderie that develops

is fun.

And, being out there, looking at the horses that are winning,

helps me "see" my horses better.
smile.gif
)

Sandy

The best part.. I have met some really WONDERFUL people,

lots of them have become good friends.
smile.gif
)

1. fun

2. cheapest advertising money can buy

3. validation of our goals for our breeding program

4. getting to see all our our friends from around the country and other countries!

5. sales

wink.gif

Why do I show?

It gives me something to look forward to year round.... something to actually work for! I am a youth and I have spent my whole summer vacation in our barn working with our trainer and to know that we have conditioned, trained and basically poured our blood, sweat, and tears into our show horses gives a feeling like no other. It keeps us going back for more!

It has become my life!

Is there another way to live?  SHOWS are my life and passion
I could not agree more Chandler!

Well since I don't technically show and I am not really a breeding farm not sure if I should answer....but

I love horse shows

I love visiting my horsie friends

I love lending a hand

I love walking the barns and oohing and ahhing

I love cheering my friends on

The anticipation the night before up early long drives settling in figuring what you actually did forget all of it is wonderful to me...and strangely I still do not have a huge desire to go in the ring.....I guess I will always just be groom at heart
wink.gif

One of my dreams is to GO to Nationals or Worlds just to be there I don't care if I have anything to show I just want to go..........

you know maybe it is the old groom thing but for me to the best time well ok not best but one of the most exciting times is getting up at the crack of dawn - going to the barn to feed seeing others getting ready sort of the calm before the storm down at the barns i dunno sounds corny but even as a kid i always felt like being there that early with all the horses around and other exhibitors was sort of like some "secret" club i was lucky enough to be part of something about that anticipation of the day, the excitement in the air yet the calm and quiet other then the horses waiting for breakfast... silly i know
rolleyes.gif

Another time of showing that is fun is

getting ready at the gate,,, waiting for your class..

the class before yours is huge and taking forever...

everybody waiting is feeling the same anxiety...

then there's Kirby... making ya laugh...
smile.gif
)

That is a fond memory from this summer....
smile.gif
)

Sandy

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis said:
you know maybe it is the old groom thing but for me to the best time well ok not best but one of the most exciting times is getting up at the crack of dawn - going to the barn to feed seeing others getting ready sort of the calm before the storm down at the barns  i dunno sounds corny but even as a kid i always felt like being there that early with all the horses around and other exhibitors was sort of like some "secret" club i was lucky enough to be part of something about that anticipation of the day, the excitement in the air yet the calm and quiet other then the horses waiting for breakfast... silly i know
rolleyes.gif

457503[/snapback]

Nope that is it.....and I am SOOOO not a morning person
biggrin.gif
yet the wee hours in the barn and the horses happily munching and the FEEL of anticipation is well like heaven .....the sound the smell all of it is probably the most relaxing moments of my life
new_shocked.gif
yep pretty weird
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back