Alegra Senior Feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini~Lover

Reaction score
I just swiched my filly to alegra senior since she has a very sinsitive digestive system. I guess its like feeding hay, oats, and beet pulp in pellet form? Plus she gets plain eastern grass hay. Can i start feeding more of this feed and less hay so I can moniter what shes getting(i cant weigh the hay) and will it be easier on her? she has a history of colic. Thanks!

Katie

I can't say for sure what effect this feed will have for your horse, or its appropriateness nor amount.

I will say that I have had my now 29-year old mare on this feed for at least 5 years, maybe more (can't remember when we switched from Purina).

She can't eat anything but that (no teeth), and she is fat and sassy.

I would guess that she gets about five lb. per day, perhaps a little less. I think that is a little bit more than a horse her size should have, but she drops a lot and she is a perfect weight, so we go with what works.

Here is my "picture of health/Allegra endorsement poster girl":

gma29yrs1.jpg

(photo taken on her 29th birthday last Summer).

Here is a link to their website w/the info on Senior formulation:

Allegra Senior

I would consult with your veterinarian about the suitability of this feed for your particular horse.
smile.gif

Liz M.

She's beautiful, Liz.....absolutely lovely.

MA

I use Allegra Senior for my 31 year old Appy/welsh mare. She has went down the last two years and especially the last year. (no teeth) She had always looked GREAT for her age, but it is finally catching up with her.
no.gif
The Allegra senior is good stuff and I also give her soaked beet pulp. I think Allegra is one of the only ones that has probiotics in it. I think it is made to totally replace hay in the senior horse. I also feed her hay too though.

Sheri

Last edited by a moderator:
I switched from the Purina originally because she seemed to have more trouble getting the pellets down, and I noticed her manure had a sourish smell to it. She also didn't seem to gain weight on it like she has done w/the Allegra.

I think they are comparable products and if your horse is doing ok on the Purina, no reason to switch.

Just my opinion.

smile.gif

Liz M.

I was told I should swich her to make it easier on her digestive system, she only 2 though, so shes not a senoir. Im feeding her vitamins and hay with it also. She was on plain rolled oats. Was this a good change? will it make a difference in her weight? (shes fat, plus not getting owrked because of an elbow tissue damage)

Katie hi,

I have a miniature mare who has been on an Equine feed supplement ever since her 98 colic surgery when she was a 2-year-old. The Hospital started her on wet and warm Purinea Senior while she was there and she has been on the same diet ever since. What 7 years now. I did also switch to the Allegra Senior because of the beet pulp and other added ingredients which sounded better to me. She has not had any major colic attacks since her surgery..<knock on wood>..and I attribute that to a good and consistant feeding schedule, plus LUCK! She has had a nice healthy foal this spring-her first and she is happy, healthy and her coat stays extra shiney. The reason I give it to her with warm water is just because she was started that way and I am sure she enjoys the warm soupy mix which I lovingly call her, slop
rolleyes.gif
Her colt was raised on it and is doing well, and I also give my stallion and gelding some dry.

This mare gets 1 cup of dry Allerga Senior with 4 cups of warm water. It begins to break down very quickly and by the time I get out to the barn it is pretty soupy. They LOVE this!
yes.gif
I used to feed her this in the am and pm, but now she just gets it once a day. In the morning she gets a cup and 1/2 of rolled oats. They also get Allegra vitamins too. I feed mostly a mix of grass hay which some Alfalfa on the side.

I keep the Allegra feed in the house. I want to make sure it stays very dry-because I am only feeding the 4. It takes some time to get through a bag-That is also the reason I feed the boys 1 cup each dry-1 time a day..to use it up quicker and hoping they get some benefits from it too.

I can see that they shed off quicker in the spring, and coats are basically more healthy and shiney throughout the year. I can't say it's "JUST" because of the Allergra Senior, but because of the right combination of feeds and feeding times that I have hit upon that works well for them. It would be different for other animals who are fed different feeds in other parts of the country. Although I would urge anyone who has a equine who has had intestinal problems to try a wet and warm solution of Allegra Senior daily, either 1-2 times a day. I figure if the University vets use this method, it can't hurt
yes.gif
I used it for years on my part-Arab gelding as an aged guy and would also urge anyone with a regular "senior" horse who needs some EXTRA to use these products. They do help them a great deal as Liz's very pretty Senior looks!
wub.gif

Another great help for horses who have had colic surgery or who have had bouts with colic are if they can be placed on semi-dry to dry pasture(not lush) for most of their 24 hours. Studies have shown that consistant grazing helps the guts to move on a better and more steady basis, thus decreasing stomach problems. This I am working on as my pasture is not workable year round.

I firmly believe that keeping our horses guts working steady 24 hours a day is the key to great health. As in wild horse herds who move and graze constantly. This of course for many is hard to do. Having a free choice grass hay in front of them will help. This comes with problems too with horses, ponies who get to fat too quickly. That is where a dry, light pasture would work...some get overly fat on even that! One reason why my mare only gets a cup of Allegra Senior a day...she tends to stay plump on very little
wacko.gif
...health in our horses can sure be a hard, fine line to achieve
unsure.gif

Whatever you do, I wish you all the luck in keeping your young Gal healthy and happy.
wub.gif

My best,

Jenny

saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back