Albertans

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billiethekid40

Reaction score
DH and I will be moving there in the New Year, probably the end of January with our daughter and 2 dogs. We are hoping to bring the horses out in the spring and in the meantime I'd love any info (horsie or otherwise) about the area!

There's a lot of mini farms around the Edmonton area...we're just southeast near Millet. We have a mini club with about more or less a hundred members the WCMHC spread throughout the province a good place for info members and shows coming up. Feel free to visit if near my area l can also point you in the direction of another 5 within an hour of the city close by farms..Edmonton is a great city with tons of stuff to do and see but rents and utilities are awful so make sure you have money. And be prepared for the weather it can be crazy from day to day...we had lots of snow the past 2 days with high winds and for tonight -30C outlaying areas even colder then come Monday in the single or double digets again on the + side. You all will love it up here.
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

The weather is the reason we are hoping to leave the horses in Ontario until spring, we weren't sure moving them to such a different climate in the middle of the winter would be a good idea if we could help it. Any idea what we might expect to pay for board for the two geldings in the area? We will be living on the base in Edmonton for at least a few years before we can get our own place so we will need to board for a while. Your place looks fantastic I hope I'll get a chance to visit you soon! We don't have our posting dates yet all we know is sometime in January after the 17th LOL

The weather is the reason we are hoping to leave the horses in Ontario until spring, we weren't sure moving them to such a different climate in the middle of the winter would be a good idea if we could help it. Any idea what we might expect to pay for board for the two geldings in the area? We will be living on the base in Edmonton for at least a few years before we can get our own place so we will need to board for a while. Your place looks fantastic I hope I'll get a chance to visit you soon! We don't have our posting dates yet all we know is sometime in January after the 17th LOL
Hello from Edmonton.
default_saludando.gif
I live right downtown. My parents and horses live about half an hour from the west side of the city. I am going to send you a PM as soon as I finish here. The Western Canadian Miniature Horse Club is a great club. The people are friendly and our shows are a lot of fun. We have both AMHA and AMHR shows in addition to a fun show in the spring. How old is your daughter? We have a great group of active youth in the club and at the shows. We also have a program called the Youth Incentive Program or YIP. There are many farms and people with minis around Edmonton area. Board really varies from barn to barn. Since you are coming in January, make sure you are prepared for occasional -40 day. It is only mid November and we have already had a few -30 days. It is supposed to be a cold winter. Also, be prepared for crazy fluctuations in weather. Three days ago it was -30 but tomorrow is supposed to be above zero. Edmonton is great. Lots to do see and do in the area.

we are about 5 hours south of edmonton (like it a bit warmer
default_new_rofl.gif
) we havent had get below -18 but winds today reached 130km/h just wanted to say welcome to alberta!

we are about 5 hours south of edmonton (like it a bit warmer
default_new_rofl.gif
) we havent had get below -18 but winds today reached 130km/h just wanted to say welcome to alberta!

I have never heard of it being semi-tropical (-18) in Alberta during the winter - not even in the Lethbridge area 5 hours or so south of Edmonton... I have many bad memories of -30 when I still lived there!! You must have found a warm pocket!
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never heard of it being semi-tropical (-18) in Alberta during the winter - not even in the Lethbridge area 5 hours or so south of Edmonton... I have many bad memories of -30 when I still lived there!! You must have found a warm pocket!
default_yes.gif
default_saludando.gif
haha I was talking about this year! believe me it gets cold, but not as cold or as long as by edmonton
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back