Ahhh... I think I have just been nominated to have Christmas at my house! Any good recipes? Please!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks'thunder

Reaction score
Anything easy?

Cheep?

Feeds a lot?

LOL!! I know I'm asking a lot but any helpful ideas?

I have 2 crock pots and my small oven that I can work with! Good thing is.... I already have a Turkey! Not big 14lbs but it's here and I don't have to buy one.I can cook him a day ahead tear him apart and heat him the day of(do you think?). This is so last minute and I'm kinda at a loss of ideas to feed 14 or more people! I think if I put enough sides out the turkey will stretch...... maybe..... I don't know what to do!?!!!! HELP!!! LOL! I've never made Christmas dinner before!! The more I think about it the more I'm working my self into a panic!

Get a small ham if you don't think you have enough meat.Ham in my area is about 98 cents a lb and ham goes farther than turkey-it's salty so people don't eat as much.Mashed potatoes&add some cheese- they can be done ahead and even frozen or stuck in the oven.Stuffing of course add dried cranberries for added flavor.Ask everyone who is coming to bring their favorite dish but let the hostess know what is coming so you have variety.the non cooks can always bring cole slaw from the store and rolls or something sweet for later or cheese&crackers for appetizer.If everyone brings something it doesn't kill the hostess and she can have a good time with the guests.

Bevann took the words out my mouth.......Do a ham too. (I'd bake the ham first and then the turkey, so it doesn't get dry.) Roast the turkey unstuffed.

Make a stuffing separate from the turkey and bake it in a casserole. I have my own recipe. But in a pinch just use the "Stove Top" variety and add raisins or chopped apple, plus some diced onion while it's simmering.....If doing that, it's STOVE TOP cooking and very last minute.

Fix some canned yams -- plop a BIG can into a casserole with some of the syrup, cover it all with marshmallows, and microwave for a few minutes or until hot, just before serving.

Ask your guests to kick in with either salads or desserts. Someone can also bring rolls.

Don't forget the gravy, cranberry relish, butter for the rolls, whipped cream and/or ice cream for the dessert.

I've done all of the above many times and it really wasn't that hard ......especially if you have those other guests kick in.

You'll be okay.

I don't know how she keeps it moist, but my MIL almost always cooks the turkey the day before, then reheats the day of; so yes it can be done. I second the suggestion to having guests bring their favorite dish, side dish or dessert is always nice. There will always be someone who brings nothing, but even just a few who bring helps out.

Saw on 1 of the cooling shows if turkey is cooked ahead of serving just pour some turkey broth or chicken broth over it and reheat on low.I'm all for doing things ahead so the cook can enjoy the day and spend time with guests.

Well thank you ladies very much! Your comments are truly accepted!!! I know asking for everyone to bring a dish is a no go. My sisters will not and will out right argue about it. My niece in law would though but she would be the only one. Oh well, I think I may just cancel rather then put my self through this stress. My hubby was looking around last night and said we really don't have the room anyway.

Thank you all!

Merry Christmas!!!

Seriously, try the one I sent you. Make it now so you can try it and see how good it is & easy to make.
default_smile.png

How many would be expected? You wouldn't believe how many my MIL can fit into their home. I really don't like a big crowd here; but today I'm feeding 8-9, we have a crew here for preg-checking. I have stew in the crockpots, and hope there is enough.

I have a recipe for fruit salad that is easy and tasty. My MIL keeps trying to say its the same as hers, but its not; hers uses cool whip and mine uses sour cream.

Its 5-cup fruit salad, really easy recipe: 1 cup each of marshmallows, coconut, pineapple (drained, used canned, it doesn't turn out as good with fresh), mandarin oranges (drained, add last, and carefully mix in, or you mash em), and sour cream.

Go to: foodnetwork.com

Make food you can do a few days in advance. This website has tons of ideas and recipes. Lasagna, ham ? You can ask everyone to bring a dish or dessert ?? Good luck
default_smile.png

Our family always adds ham with a turkey. My sister makes a huge pot of potatoes to mash. Then everybody pitches in a brings a something. Like someone brings a veggie, someone (or two) bring dessert, someone brings rolls, etc. etc.

Puppy Chow? Don't know if anyone else mentioned it--I making it for Christmas Eve--its SO good! Its and easy recipe with in your cupboard ingredients. But you need Chex (Rice flavor) Cereal too. =)

I must have missed where you said one relative wouldn't 'bring a dish to pass' (hmmmm-Scrooge huh?). How about a local grocery store that has catering/carryout? We ordered Lasagna and garlic bread one Christmas and then I just threw together a big tossed salad and made an easy dessert. Not too costly and certainly easier. We kept the Lasagna in the refrigerator and just heated it up for the meal. Same with the bread.

Scrooge all the way!!! LOL!!

Thank you all again but I bowed out. My mom will have it at her house. I did text everyone for her though about bringing a dish. 3 did reply with no problem!

Latest posts

Back